The Sewing Place

Cropped trousers

Acorn

Cropped trousers
« on: May 08, 2017, 20:17:03 PM »
Can anyone recommend a pattern for cropped trousers - or trousers that could be cropped?

I would like a pattern for woven fabric.  I would probably use something with a bit of stretch (slightly stretchy denim maybe) but I don't want negative ease.  I don't want them to be too loose either (or I would go for Style Arc's Ethel).  Pull on rather than with flies.

My preference is always for Style Arc, but every pattern I've looked at there is either intended for lightweight fabric or knit, or is just too loose.   I'm not familiar enough with other indie pattern companies to come to any conclusions about them, but I know you lot have a lot of experience and good judgement.   :*

Oh, and plus sizes please.  I don't mind grading (just as well really) but I don't want to be going off the scale.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

DementedFairy

Re: Cropped trousers
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 20:46:44 PM »
Any trousers can be cropped, just find the shape you want, and chop off to your desired length.  the key is getting that fit on the body.

Style Arc have trouser patterns for all sorts of fabrics, including bengaline, which is their preferred stretch woven.  Not that easy to find here, but any stretch woven does the job.

I personally love the pull on, easy fit of 'Misty' and 'Flat Bottom Flo', but have also made up 'Linda' in stretch AND woven.  If it's sized for stretch, and you are using woven, just go up a couple of sizes.
C'est moi!

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 21:38:35 PM »
Thank you.  I'm going to have to do some crotch measuring (  :o ) just as soon as I find my tape measure.  There are only a few body parts you can measure with a steel rule.

I did think of asking Mr Acorn whether I have a flat bum, just so that I could see the deer-trapped-in-the-headlights look on his face as he tried to work out the right answer.   ;)

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 22:37:00 PM »
I adapted Stylearc Barbara for all my trousers needs - cropped trousers included. 

Great pattern.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 22:44:22 PM »
Style Arc Barb is also free right now if you sign up to Style Arc's newsletter. See their Facebook. Sign up and they will send you the pattern in your size + one side either side.

PollyWally

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 00:56:48 AM »
Thanks for the info about the free Style Arc pattern Francesca, I have just signed up to the newsletter and received the  pattern.

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 04:05:20 AM »
Thank you.  I'm going to have to do some crotch measuring (  :o ) just as soon as I find my tape measure.  There are only a few body parts you can measure with a steel rule.

I did think of asking Mr Acorn whether I have a flat bum, just so that I could see the deer-trapped-in-the-headlights look on his face as he tried to work out the right answer.   ;)

OMG does anyone remember that guy at TSF who was making a costume for his girlfriend using only measurements taken with a steel rule?
C'est moi!

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 06:45:17 AM »
I did think of asking Mr Acorn whether I have a flat bum, just so that I could see the deer-trapped-in-the-headlights look on his face as he tried to work out the right answer.   [/i]

Don't you just luuurve that look???!!!   0_0
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 13:10:16 PM »
Heheheh - bless 'em.   :)

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 14:15:06 PM »
I'd be well pleased if he said I had a pancake bum. I yearn for a flat bum. I'd love to make my own trousers but I'm absolutely terrified (plus I can't stomach the hundreds of pounds of wasted fabric...)

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 15:07:06 PM »
I have to say, you could do worse than have a go at the Stylearc Barb pattern, particularly as it is free.

I've made loads using this pattern as a base.  Some stretch yoga type, 4 cropped fly fronts, and the last was a yoga pair but the fabric had little stretch and still pulled on.

I have another pair cut out, I think ankle length this time, maybe with a fly front, depends if I want to spend the time.

Really excellent pattern.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 15:35:19 PM »
I have just discovered the Barb trousers in my patterns folder (on my computer).  It looks ridiculously simple - although I don't underestimate the challenge of getting a good fit.

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 15:42:28 PM »
My problem is getting the rise right. I just don't really know how to shape it because even books like Pants for Real People don't really seem to accommodate a figure like mine. When I made trousers for my Mum (similar shape) we measured we needed to increase the rise by 9cm. PFRP stated to just add it to the top waistband and showed a diagram which I followed exactly. Of course, it was a total disaster, proving to me that "Pants for Real People" yet again means "some people" not "all people" as they try to pretend  :'(

Looking at the rise on the pattern pieces for Style Arc Barb there is absolutely no way I would fit in that. The front rise especially, just look at it! It's so flat! I don't know how anyone but a super model fits into that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 15:46:19 PM by Francesca »

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 16:43:57 PM »
I did add a bit at CF as I remember, but I did make a toile or 2 first.  It seems pretty short, but the waistband is 2" maybe a bit more as I remember.

I'm no Twiggy (definitely not!) , and I do have fitting issues, but less so with these.

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 16:55:16 PM »
On my pdf it doesn't seem quite as bad as that, but it certainly isn't generous.  The back is a lot better.  I will take a good look at the trousers I have (all RTW), but they tend to be either stretchy or very loose.