The Sewing Place

How do the Brother F440e and PE700II compare?

Marniesews

How do the Brother F440e and PE700II compare?
« on: May 08, 2017, 22:35:54 PM »
I've found two used Brother machines for sale that I'm pondering over. The F440e doesn't come with the software (PE Design?) currently being offered with the new machine. I believe it's a basic form with the value of £349. The 'used' machine (only used once I believe) has a selling price of £650 which is actually more than the current price less the cost of the software so it's not a good saving if the software is desirable to have - I'm looking for lacey designs to make single colour motifs to sew on dance dresses btw.

The second one, the PE700II is not a current machine but looks like it may be similarly featured to me (who knows very little) but is available for £400. It has a USB port but uses a big chunky card and no software of course.

Could I ask for views on these machines please? Both seem to be based on a 7" x 5" hoop size and it may be that the end use may lean more towards one than the other but I'd appreciate any points of difference worth consideration that occur to you.

Many thanks
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Nuttywife59

Re: How do the Brother F440e and PE700II compare?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:46:08 AM »
Think the 440 has a colour screen  and the 700 only has a black and white screen which can make it a bit harder finding which design you want if you have several different one on a usb.

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 20:19:35 PM »
The 700EII can't take a USB stick I was told although it has a USB port to connect to a PC - and I'm not sure if that will work with my PC running on Linux rather than Windows. It uses a big card.

I remember we had a guy on TSF who was interested in using linux for embroidery machines but I can't recall his name so I'm not sure if he's on here. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Nuttywife59

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 20:44:40 PM »
In that case I wouldn't go for the 700ii, usb are not expensive  but if your card reader should develop a fault they are expensive.

KayK

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 17:39:11 PM »
Well I  have had a 'mad' moment and purchased a Brother 700 11e from eBay - and what can I say? brilliant!  It may be an older machine but works perfectly.  I was also given a CD with the machine, which I shoved in my PC - it took a bit of meddling, but the CD has over 10,000 designs on it, and by using the old fashioned USB cable that came with the machine  I can download onto the 'F Drive' as mentioned in its bumf and either save the design to the machine (it can only remember 12 extra designs! or sew straight from the PC!

It came with 3 hoops, 40 reels of Brother thread (Plus an extra card with some seriously weird designs on that some poor soul paid £64 for!)  - all for the princely sum of £380....

I am seriously impressed with the stitch quality........have had a go even with some ghastly metallic thread which none of my other machines like  - no problems at all.  So, chuffed I am as I never thought I would be able to afford one, and to be  honest, it seems easier to operate than my Pfaff Performance 5!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well