Lowena

Re: Official Japanese Sewalong
« Reply #315 on: June 18, 2017, 14:26:34 PM »
Thank you Pearl, there was a lot of unpicking  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #316 on: June 18, 2017, 15:42:12 PM »
Lowena, that is lovely, it's the first actual sashiko thing I've seen - I've only seen examples of the stitches before.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #317 on: June 18, 2017, 15:45:10 PM »
Lowena that's a fantasitc bit of work; proper Sachiko embroidery :flower: :flower: :flower:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #318 on: June 18, 2017, 15:51:36 PM »
OMG Lowena, I've just asked Mr Google about "Sashiko" (ignorance is not always bliss!!) and I realise you've done that BY HAND :thread:!
Wish there was an emoji for "feints clean away"!  You are my hero!

Lowena

« Reply #319 on: June 18, 2017, 16:29:10 PM »
Thank you so much girls. It isn't difficult or I wouldn't be able to do it  :D However it is fiddly ( quite a bit of unpicking  :| ) I really enjoyed doing it and will definitely do more. I'm thinking of making a small quilt using Kantha quilting next 

Pearl

« Reply #320 on: June 18, 2017, 17:59:18 PM »
I did a kantha workshop a couple of years ago.  I loved it.  Looking forward to seeing your quilt.

supergran

« Reply #321 on: June 18, 2017, 19:33:14 PM »
Lowena, your cushion is gorgeous! How do you make your stitches so even and neat? I would never be able to do that. <3
Also, what is kantha quilting??? I think I've heard of it, but not seen it.

Pearl

« Reply #322 on: June 19, 2017, 07:36:24 AM »
Also, what is kantha quilting??? I think I've heard of it, but not seen it.

Supergran, Brenda explains it on this thread.

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,1457.0.html#lastPost

Sandra

« Reply #323 on: June 19, 2017, 10:30:44 AM »
I've made my obi for my kimono  :)

I've had a rummage through my stash and found some simple, navy blue fabric which I thought would contrast nicely with it.

It was quite a floppy fabric so I lined it with some Egyptian cotton sheeting to give it a bit more body.

The finished length of it, according to the pattern, should be twice my waist, plus 42" for the knot...( it looks very, very long ><)... I made it just over 3" wide.

I've found this proper obi out of my stuff to show you. I thought it might be of interest.

I bought it a few years ago out of some birthday money. The width of it is 12" and it's over 13 feet long. :o It's quite stiff...must be uncomfortable to wear.

I'll try to get my daughter to take some photo's of me in my finished kimono so you can all see.

Sandra.
xxx

Syrinx

« Reply #324 on: June 19, 2017, 10:33:34 AM »
The stiffness is good. Not very uncomfortable to wear as it holds itself together very well.

That's a beautiful obi. I'd suggest a hand in getting it all on and right. All my Japanese friends do it for each other as it's super hard to get right on your own if you don't do it every day!

Francesca

« Reply #325 on: June 19, 2017, 10:50:17 AM »
Oh, do we have to post photos part way through? I was just going to do it at the end :( I'm quite a long way through it now  -<

No, only at the end if you wish. You're welcome to share as you go (it is a sewalong after all) but only need to enter pictures at the end officially.

You do, however, have to include a picture of your fabric before cutting and a mid-construction photo along with your final entry pic, as per the rules.

Lowena

« Reply #326 on: June 19, 2017, 10:57:39 AM »
Thanks Francesca, I'm not eligible to enter so have just posted a piccy anyway  :)

Iminei

« Reply #327 on: June 19, 2017, 10:59:12 AM »
Make another Low !!!! or a cushionette ... and take the pics!!!

Please enter your cushion is FAB!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #328 on: June 19, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »
Thanks Pearl, I'd missed that post. Thank you Brenda for the links, very interesting. Sadly my arthritis won't let me hand sew for more than a few minutes at a time, so I'm unlikely to be trying it myself, but I am in awe of the beauty in the simplicity of it.

Syrinx

« Reply #329 on: June 19, 2017, 12:28:52 PM »
Finished properly the Liberty cotton pleated dress. Now with fitted side seams around the bust. Still very pink ;) but looks ok, not very flattering for the figure but I made it and it works!

Now to get on with the chiffon one! It's the right weather for it!