Lizzielogs

Re: Official Japanese Sewalong
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2017, 18:20:00 PM »
I am very fond of biting bums.  Be warned. :devil:
*gulp*

Francesca

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2017, 18:24:48 PM »
Love that red fabric Lizzielogs.  Think I have something similar.  Think I'll try and join in this sewalong, as I have quite a few bits of Japanese fabric.  Won't be able to start until 2nd week in June, but hopefully should manage something. 

Do we have to post 5 times in 'this' thread or will there be another thread started when the comp begins?

This'll be the sewalong thread so all these posts count! The 5 post rule is just meant to foster the sewalong aspect (trust me we WANT to know the minute details of your project!) and stop people swooping in at the last minute just to submit their piece without being involved.

UttaRetch

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2017, 18:37:55 PM »
I have these

two lenghths of 'Hanako' print fabric ex of Liberty's and read somewhere that the pattern is based on a Japanese design.  However, they are my preciousness and were never going to be cut plus I no longer sew anyway.

Lilian

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2017, 21:09:25 PM »
I am hoping to join this sewalong, if I can get my other jobs done before the end of May.  So, I was in the local fabric shop and found this, lightweight curtain material I think it is,  Anyway, it was a piece just over a metre so I bought it and gthought it might make a little kimono jacket, a simplicity one that I bought at the Hobbycraft sale.

Do you think it would work?  I also picked up another piece of a similar fabric but it is smaller.  If these don't work I can always make cushion covers lol!  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2017, 07:31:08 AM »
Oooh Kimono jacket!!

When i was in my very early 20's I had a gorgeous handmade (not by me) black and white patterned reversible one that I literally wore to death....

mmnnn I wonder if there's a pattern for something like that?????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

UttaRetch

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2017, 08:04:30 AM »

This is a pdf pattern.

Iminei

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2017, 08:22:38 AM »
Thx UR

How does a PDF pattern work ... considering my printer only prints A4 ??

and if I made that does it promise that I will look like that ????  0_0
I googled patterns, they are really expensive aren't they?

UttaRetch

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2017, 08:48:42 AM »
I don't like pdf patterns because you have to factor in the cost of printing it and the tedium of sticking the pages together.  You could always take the file to a print shop and have it done on large sheets, though.  The Simplicity pattern costs more, but this would be my preferred option.  If you do a google search for the Simplicity and then go 'shopping' there are cheaper options.

DementedFairy

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2017, 09:16:32 AM »
You can't really go far wrong with kimono styles Imi, they're just rectangles, originally designed [like most really old, traditional clothes] to be minimal or zero waste as fabric weaving is expensive.

Nothing to fit, you'd only have to consider seam finishes so that the insides are neat too.  Go on, move towards the light!
C'est moi!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Ploshkin

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
Not very inspired or inspiring but I'm going to use this sewalong as an incentive to finally get round to making a summer dressing gown to replace the one that I made in the mid seventies that fell apart 5 years ago.  I'm using the same pattern (it cost 85p in those days!) which is a kimono style and I have found some fabric.  I will post pics later as the light is not good this morning. 

PS There are some lovely cotton fabrics on the http://www.japancrafts.co.uk/store/c1/Featured_Products.html site.
Life's too short for ironing.

Snowgoose

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »
Have a look at this https://www.babble.com/style/easy-handmade-kimono/

I wonder if I could manage this?  I have some lightweight, pretty red and white cotton.  It would be ideal as a pretty cover-up for walking the pooch on a sunny day  8).

Such beautiful Japanese fabrics in the links you're all giving, if only the pennies were available!!!

Iminei

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2017, 11:18:01 AM »
Nothing to fit, you'd only have to consider seam finishes so that the insides are neat too

That's good and I do know how to (and have done ) French Seam!

When do we announce what we are going to (Try and ) make for this etc???

Lilian

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »
This is the pattern I bought at the Hobbycraft sale for £3.47.  I think with the 1 1/4 metres of that fabric I could manage view 'D'. 

Willing but not always able :)

BajaSusana

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »
OK after a lot of searching I've found it, so this is my main fabric and I'm thinking of using a forest green 2 tone taffeta to go with it and make some kind of daily use bag to glam up the shopping!
If I'm waffling it's cos I think I have to post 5 times to be in the sewalong - it's the devil being a newbie and not know what you're doing!!
Lizzielogs this is beautiful. And I love the bit of metallic.
 It will make a stunning bag.