The Sewing Place

New Abakhan store

maliw

New Abakhan store
« on: May 11, 2017, 16:08:57 PM »
I've just had a newsletter from Abakhan and it says that they are opening a new store in Altrincham town centre in June. So for anybody who is within a reasonable travelling distance there will be a new emporium to visit.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Vegegrow

Re: New Abakhan store
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 18:50:08 PM »
Perhaps I could email them and ask for a shop in East Anglia.....
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 20:36:27 PM »
I do miss Abakhan, we definitely need one over on the east side.  There don't appear to be any decent fabric shops anywhere near me  :'(

maliw

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 20:47:31 PM »
I must admit that I feel quite lucky with what we have available and feel sorry for people who can't get what they want locally. Buying fabric via the internet isn't the same as being able to go and have a look and feel what a fabric is like. I was in the local Abakhan shop today and saw some lovely 'linen type' fabric but when I touched it it was far too thick for what I wanted.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 21:03:54 PM »
Our small but lovely local fabric shop closed a few months ago - not through lack of business,  Now there is a fantastic quilting shop 17 miles away - but it hardly sells any dressmaking fabric.  The next fabric shop is 30 miles away, but it is better for upholstery and furnishing fabrics than dressmaking. 

I think there is another one 30 miles in the other direction which I really must investigate soon. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 21:22:47 PM »

and down here in Kent.....
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Didi

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 00:15:58 AM »
I'm very lucky I live 15 minutes drive  away from head office in Mostyn love the cream tea ! Work in Chester so can get there easily and have to go to Liverpool for work so get to go to that one as well

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 07:43:13 AM »
Yes I noticed the new shop opening in Altrincham but I'll probably continue to use the Abakhan in Manchester more as I'm in Manchester more often and the city centre shop will be bigger but it is  certainly an excuse to visit Altrincham sometimes.

So it is good for Altrincham. I lived there many years ago and have fond memories. I was always sorry that the town centre suffered quite a bit from the opening of the Trafford Centre, the big out of town shopping centre for the Manchester area (a shopping centre which I dislike, won't visit and has no fabric shops anyway!).
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Addict

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »
and here in Norwich or Great Yarmouth

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »
and down here in Kent.....

If my boyfriend lets me have my way (which he will eventually realise he must), I will be opening my fabric and knitting shop in Otford, Kent in 2020  0_0

Jane

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 16:23:32 PM »
If my boyfriend lets me have my way (which he will eventually realise he must), I will be opening my fabric and knitting shop in Otford, Kent in 2020  0_0

Ooo can I get a job?  :D
Jane (I'll get Fran to sew it)

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 16:52:43 PM »
Jane, would this be a wise move?  :D

Jane

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 17:02:21 PM »
I'm sure I'd be buying enough to go home with no wages!!  :S
Jane (I'll get Fran to sew it)

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
Wages? Who said you're getting wages.

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 09:04:13 AM »
We may be making a fleeting visit to the Wirral in a few weeks.   :flower:  Which Abakhan shop should I choose out of Birkenhead and Chester, if a choice has to be made?

And is there anywhere else I really Should Not Miss?  We won't be going across the water this time.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.