The Sewing Place

New Abakhan store

maliw

Re: New Abakhan store
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 10:30:02 AM »
It depends where you are staying, of the two I prefer Birkenhead, maybe because that is my local store but there is just something about the Chester one that I'm not keen on. I think Birkenhead may be slightly bigger. Don't forget that most of the fabric is sold by weight and they will cut pieces but a metre needs to be left after what you want except craft fabric which is now 1/2 a metre (I think) . If you want fabric places the other place I go is CalicoLaine, Clayhill Estate Neston or their shop in Liscard
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 16:05:14 PM »
Thank you - staying at Greasby, so Birkenhead is much easier and Neston and Liscard very easy if we have time.

I've never heard of fabric being sold by weight - how does that work?  How do you know how much you will be paying for (say) 2 metres?   :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 16:21:49 PM »
There are piles of remnants of different sorts and each type has a price per kilo. You find a remnant which takes your fancy, take it to an assistant who will weigh it, put in the price per kilo and tell you what the remnant will cost. You can ask them to measure the piece so you can see how big it is and you can work out what it will cost per metre so you can decide whether yiu want to buy it. They will cut a remnant as long as a piece 1m is left.

Some of my most exciting fabric finds ever have come from Abakhan remnant bins. It is almost always cheaper than you would find on a roll of fabric and quite unusual things turn up. Once you have tasted an Abakhan remnant you will be addicted!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

maliw

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 16:55:06 PM »
The other thing to be aware of is that some of the fabric is 'seconds' so check in case there are any faults/flaws in the piece that you want. It doesn't always happen but I'm warning you just in case. If you go to Birkenhead the fabric on rolls is as you go in and the remnants are just through the 'first shop' and up the stairs. I hope you are lucky and find something, sometimes I go and come away with nothing although that is very unusual as the state of my swing room will testify. ;)

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 17:06:36 PM »
Thank you, both.  I'm so glad I know about the system in advance - I might well have gone in, got completely confused, and just left again.  That would be terrible! 

It is a very long way from us to any large fabric store so I will be going with Money To Spend - whch is usually the kiss of death to finding anything!  I'll do me best though.   8)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Diane

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 13:24:07 PM »
I must say what fabulous quality fabric from the Abakhan store, I ordered online on Thursday and my fabric got delivered this morning. This is bad news finding a good quality online store, I having a feeling I'm going to be a regular customer at this store :loveit:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 13:31:59 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

maliw

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 13:47:20 PM »
This is bad news finding a good quality online store, I having a feeling I'm going to be a regular customer at this store :loveit:
Oh dear, nothing against Abakhan, my favourite go to place but for online have you tried
https://www.thetextilecentre.co.uk/
I've had several orders and all have been great.

Diane

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2017, 14:00:35 PM »
Oh dear, nothing against Abakhan, my favourite go to place but for online have you tried
https://www.thetextilecentre.co.uk/
I've had several orders and all have been great.

Oh no, not another fabric website :loveit: I've bought so much fabric this week I should be locked up. Will take a look and report back.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Diane

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2017, 14:15:46 PM »
Just popped on to the textilecentre.co.uk and Oops two metres of fabric accidentally fell in to my basket  :devil: naughty me.
Thanks for the info Maliw
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 14:18:23 PM by Diane »

Tamnymore

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2017, 14:33:31 PM »
Although I have bought online from Abakhan you only get the weighed remnants in the actual shop so it's worth planning a visit if you possibly can. I agree that the Textile Centre is excellent.

Diane

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2017, 15:00:27 PM »
Unfortunately i'm nowhere near any of the Abakhan stores, I'm on the south coast, maybe that's a good thing otherwise I'd be in there all of the time.

Tamnymore

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2017, 15:07:07 PM »
Diane, have a holiday in North Wales so you can visit Abakhan HQ. :devil: :devil:

maliw

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2017, 15:16:36 PM »
Unfortunately i'm nowhere near any of the Abakhan stores, I'm on the south coast, maybe that's a good thing otherwise I'd be in there all of the time.
Think yourself lucky - your bank balance wouldn't appreciate it. Ask me how I know!!! I used to work across the road from the Birkenhead store - oh dear.

maliw

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2017, 15:17:33 PM »
Lovely fabrics from the TC by the way. Happy sewing when they arrive.

Diane

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2017, 15:19:14 PM »
Diane, have a holiday in North Wales so you can visit Abakhan HQ. :devil: :devil:

I love North Wales and we've holidayed there every year for the past god knows how many years, but this year we are off to Leicestershire, just checked and there are no Abakhan stores nearby  :'(
I will check and see if there are any other fabric stores near where we are staying so I can accidentally go past them :devil: