The Sewing Place

How much bias binding

charlotte

How much bias binding
« on: May 15, 2017, 10:18:21 AM »
I have one of those discs of 25m of bias binding, of which I estimate I have already used 5-10m. So 15-20m left give or take. Is this enough to hong kong finish all my seams in a circle skirt dress, bind the neckline, face the front and back and hem my circle skirt? Dress quite short but it's actually a culottes playsuit, so a little bit more hem. Seams would all be pressed open, so bound on both sides. It looks like plently, but I always seem to underestimate on bias binding!

I'm on quite a tight deadline so if I need more I have to get it ordered, can't just wait and see.

Francesca

Re: How much bias binding
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 10:22:26 AM »
I'm terrible at estimates but I'd say buy the extra roll. Having a stash of bindings, ribbons and zips is only ever a good thing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »
If in doubt, buy more.

charlotte

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 12:42:58 PM »
Thanks guys! I have a habit of buying lots of stuff I never use, so my instinct was to buy more but I wasn't sure if I was being ridiculous! I'll head over to eBay now...

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »
I make my own, but a friend sent me a link to somewhere on Ebay that was very cheap.  When I find the link, I'll pass it on.

It may take some time.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

charlotte

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 13:33:41 PM »
Thanks! I usually make my own too - hence the not wanting to buy extra, but I'm very tight on both time and fabric for this project so I'm cutting all the corners. I'm even considering a machine topstitched hem but hopefully it won't come to that!