The Sewing Place

Feet for Singer 201K

Marniesews

Feet for Singer 201K
« on: May 15, 2017, 21:35:34 PM »
I'm short of a few feet for my 201K, namely a ruffler, pin tuck guide and something else that just slips my mind -  :[  . I see lots of them on eBay but they often say for several different machines including those that I think are smaller size models. The set below is selling for use with '201/221/66/28 ETC'. Will they really fit all these models?

If not, is there a way of identifying the right feet?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

arrow

Re: Feet for Singer 201K
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 21:57:40 PM »
It looks right to me, and it's spot on for a 201. These models take general low shank feet, most of the accessories for these models have identical part number, except for a few of them; feed dog covers, darning foot for the 99, I can't think of any more at the moment; maybe those odd things used when sewing ribbons and cords to the fabric can be model specific. Bobbins are correct. The 3/4 size machines like the 99 and 128 generally take the same low shank feet as
the full size models.

The 201 was introduced in 1928, by then a lot of the feet had become hinged; the earlier tend to be rigid and one piece metal, but generally they will work fine with any low shank model. My 1934 99K has the solid one piece standard presser foot so there were quite a few years before the hinged variety were all over standard. The 201 came with a small metal handle screw driver, some other models came with a black bakelite handle, but otherwise identical. The larger screw driver is more bent one piece metal thing and usually the same for all models. Ruffler and pin tucker should be the same for these models (at least the one with the ruler that adjust width with a setting screw).

This is a guide to identify a low shank foot from the rest. With the 201 you don't need a feed dog cover anyway (feed dogs are lowered), the darning foot is often missing. I think the ruffler was bought separately, but they are often with these old machines.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 22:35:02 PM by arrow »

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 23:19:20 PM »
Yes I'm sure they will fit a 201, several of them are in the box with the buttonholers and zig-zagger which I bought at the weekend and they fit my 201.

Top left is a spare thumbscrew, then 3 bobbins, and a binder foot.  Below that is an underbraider, with a seam guide on top of it.  Below the binder foot is a quilting foot and guide, and underneath those are a couple of screwdrivers.

Lower compartment is a ruffler on the left.  Next to it is, I think, a tuck marker (I didn't get one of those) and bottom right is a hemmer foot.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 23:21:32 PM »
What a wonderful set.  I want them and I don't even have a Singer machine.   ><
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 22:01:23 PM »
Thank you for confirming they look right for the 201K. It does look a nice set, especially with the tin. It's £20 but would give me the 3 feet I haven't got (the ruffler, pin tuck marker and underbraider). I like the little screwdriver too.

I do know that the one centre bottom is an adjustable hemmer as I've already got that one. I didn't quite understand how the underbraider works but it's probably more obvious if you follow the instructions with the correct foot on the machine.

I'm thinking I'm unlikely to get them significantly cheaper or pay much the same by buying in dribs and drabs with postage. I suspect I'll give in and go for it. Nice to have a new machine with all the feet (just not the bias gauges) and all in a lovely tin.

A picture of mine is attached.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 23:57:57 PM »
Go for it!

The  other thing you will surely be wanting soon is a buttonholer, or two.  They work so much better than all the fancy modern machines, and so far I've not made one that hasn't finished in exactly the same position as it started.

:vintage:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 00:46:15 AM »
I'm just going from the feet and accessories detailed in the 201K instruction book. I'll keep an eye out for other types as things progress. She didn't have a screwdriver with her but she did have 9 metal bobbins and 3 plastic ones :o well hidden in a huge jungle of pins in the storage compartment. I think only a couple of the metal ones are likely to be originals.

Yes, I've been pondering on a buttonholer, BrendaP, as I've heard DF declare her love of hers on many occasions.   :loveit:

Next question - what do you suggest I use to bring back the shine to the feet? I'm thinking mostly of the standard foot which is a bit dull and grubby looking. Not coke I assume although it's often spoken of as a multi-cleaner for any old metal!  ;)

Snowgoose

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
Bobbins!  Plastic bobbins in my old ladies -  :vintage:  - were the work of the  :devil: I think it is the weight, the plastic are too lightweight.  I had awful tension problems and tangles until I switched to a metal bobbin, the machines then sewed like an  :angel:

If it were me, I would bin the plastic and buy original metal ones.

For cleaning the feet I use Autosol, it makes the metal smile!!   :D

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
I tried coke on some particularly grubby feet, but it made no discernible difference.  Autosol is excellent, and makes a lovely job of shiny bits.

Buttonholer is a must if you want those lovely professional looking buttonholes.  I have a few, and my fave atm is the Professional for the slant shank - the one with templates.  The buttonholes are just lovely.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »
Bobbins!  Plastic bobbins in my old ladies -  :vintage:  - were the work of the  :devil:

Definitely.  If a machine was made for metal bobbins you should use metal bobbins.  If it was made for plastic bobbins you should use plastic bobbins.  All the old Singers were made for metal bobbins. :vintage: :vintage:

LeilaMay

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 16:54:53 PM »
Coming late to this conversation, but thought a link to Helen Howes' page about sets of feet might be helpful.

http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/feetsets.html

The crackle tin you've bought is quite sought-after, and a good price if you got it for £20.

I agree about metal bobbins for a metal machine, and Autosol for your parts (so to speak LOL)

Enjoy

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 20:19:36 PM »
I got the crinkle tin of feet!  0_0 There were a couple of others that were cheaper but none of them looked as good - either the tins or the feet.

I will get rid of the plastic bobbins. They had thread on them but I wound it onto the metal ones to use up on my test sews. In the end I needn't have bothered as she performed so well with only a minimum amount of tension tweaking.

We've driven up north today - 4 hours and he talked for a fair way about machine motors!!!  8)  He's a natural geek fortunately so I can use that to my advantage. Oh dear, that sounded rather manipulative.  ;)

I know a lot of you like your potable motors, what are the advantages? My OH was thinking that the belt can serve a purpose when the machine is being overworked as it will slip rather than put more pressure on internal joints. Any thoughts? He also likes the idea of buying a new motor whereas I'm attracted by the thought of an old one that's been reconditioned and I'm not impressed that the new one I saw was white!  :S

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 22:14:50 PM »
Has anyone used a modern low shank walking foot on a Singer 201k.  I want to do the quilting on my 201k but don't know if a modern walking foot will work?

Willing but not always able :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 09:41:00 AM »
Has anyone used a modern low shank walking foot on a Singer 201k.  I want to do the quilting on my 201k but don't know if a modern walking foot will work?

I have ! :)
I bought this one - https://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/images/quiltfeet/qf075walking.jpg

from Helen Howes and it works fine.

Best wishes
Leila