The Sewing Place

Accidentally removed a seam allowance...

charlotte

Accidentally removed a seam allowance...
« on: May 16, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
Well I actually did it deliberately because I was going to finish it with bias binding but now I have changed my mind and want facing instead.  :o

It's a back strap for a dress (two of them) so I'm thinking something like add some fusible interfacing and steal some from the seam allowance on the other side of the strap (which I fortunately didn't remove) but then my notches would be in the wrong place... Do I need to make a whole new pattern piece with 1/4" seam allowances at each side and recut from the existing pieces?

The problem is further exacerbated by the fact that my fabric is fraying like billy-o, hence the feeling I would need to add fusible or something to smaller seam allowances.

No fabric left to cut them again correctly, unfortunately.

Anyone got an easy fix?

charlotte

Re: Accidentally removed a seam allowance...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 14:58:10 PM »
So it seems nobody knows how to magically grow fabric.

Oh well, it was worth a try...  ;) :D

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 15:39:46 PM »
Charlotte, I was thinking about this, and then got called away (I'm at work).  Is it possible to make the straps narrower at all, just a smidge?

Failling that, I see nothing wrong with reducing the seam allowances.  They are usually trimmed down anyway.....

On growing fabric, no 'fraid not - but I'm sure it breeds in my fabric boxes!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 15:46:40 PM »
Are they straight straps or curved/shaped?  I would have thought, especially with straight, that a fusible interfacing, then share out the seam allowance from the other side would work?  And just nudge your notches a tad?

charlotte

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 16:07:00 PM »
Thanks! Yes they are straight but I have already done the finishing on the front so would have to undo that to make it skinnier too.

For some reason I've got a bit of a mental block on this, so I just wondered if there was an obvious solution I was missing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 19:00:09 PM »
INstead of making it narrower, cut it down the middle and add an insert.
C'est moi!