The Sewing Place

Hi From Illinois, USA

path49

Re: Hi From Illinois, USA
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 20:15:50 PM »
Hi b15erk! I'll have to post some pictures of my machines. I have a Singer 201-2 from 1938. It belonged to my great aunt, then my mom, and now me. I have a Montgomery Ward machine from 1949 that was my grandma's. A machine from 1937 that is badged Queen of the West that belonged to another great aunt. Both of those were made by National. Then I have a Singer 99k that I bought....it's from 1958. And the machine I use almost daily....a Kenmore from 1971....it was a Christmas gift. And a couple Kenmores from the 80's. Then 2 older sergers, a Brother and a Singer.....both from the late 80's/early 90's.

I love the vintage machines 'cause I can fix them myself! And I've refinished all the cabinets, too. Do you like the oldies, too?

path49

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 20:19:19 PM »
And thanks to all of you for such a warm welcome!

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 20:24:50 PM »
I need to make something to cover up the damage Chloe (my cat) has done to the couch. I don't want to make slipcovers or reupholster....the couch is getting too old to spend too much time/money on.

I need to do the same for my daughter so, if you come up with a good design, do share.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 21:38:12 PM »
I'd have thought a burka would be the best thing to cover up any damage the cat has done to your daughter.   ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

path49

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 23:25:43 PM »
I'm thinking about making a large quilted throw....not big enough to cover the arms just the back,seat, and bottom front. Then make a fitted piece for the arms that covers the front, top, and sides. It woud just slip on and I'd use those twist pins to hold it.

I've got some bottom-weight twill in a kind of taupe color......pretty close to the color of my couch. I think I'm going to use poly fleece inside and just whatever for the wrong side....maybe an old sheet.

Well, I said quilted but it really won't be. My couch has 3 cushions....back and seat. It will only be 3 pieces....2 long seams from top to bottom. And those seams will be thru all 3 layers. That's why I'm using poly fleece....batting would need to be sewn closer. And I'll bind the edges with the twill also.

When (IF) I ever get it finished, I'll post a picture. Might be a while.....I won't even be starting on it for a few weeks.

Next couch is going to be mission style....wooden arms/sides!