The Sewing Place

Duct tape dress form?

Francesca

Duct tape dress form?
« on: May 17, 2017, 14:39:44 PM »
Has anyone actually done one of those duct tape dress forms and had it work?

I see them all the time and I'm wondering if they do actually work beyond the initial make.

I'm wondering if I could make one to help with fitting, and get a bodice sloper fitted using it, which I can then use to pad my dressform and make an actual nice custom dressform rather than the terrifying duct-tape thing. So it would be a means to an end.

Kittensposies

Re: Duct tape dress form?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 14:52:30 PM »
I tried and failed. It was awful. Both the process and the result!! I got really claustrophobic throughout. As soon as we cut it off it just deformed and looked like a melted cyber man torso.

I just ended up using stacks of foam padding on my dress form that I cut then taped into place. Not the best representation of my body but better than nothing!

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 14:53:40 PM »
Yeah that was my fear, that it would just collapse.

I tried padding my dress form. The main measurements are the same, but somehow nothing fits right. She's just totally the wrong shape for me.

Back to the drawing board I guess... running out of ideas!

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 14:55:57 PM »
I made one for my DD and it's still OK

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 14:56:41 PM »
How did you go about doing the stand?

I am wondering if getting it on a stand and away from a "resting" position is the key to not having them collapse.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 15:23:34 PM »
Fran, how about making it, and assembling it over the dress form?  At least it would give you an idea of where your dressform is lacking.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 15:50:07 PM »
Fran, how about making it, and assembling it over the dress form?  At least it would give you an idea of where your dressform is lacking.

Jessie

Yes I was thinking of making it, plonking it on my current dress form and stuffing it out a bit, then attempting to adjust my sloper on it.

Then, as I don't expect a duct tape form to have much longevity, I would plan to remove it from the dress form and use the sloper created to actually get a dress form that fits to my sloper, plus also having the flat pattern version - if that makes sense.

I was just curious to see if anyone's duct tape form had lasted long enough to allow me to do this, which might take a few weeks.

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 17:48:57 PM »
I made one for DD, which helped a bit with her wedding dress, and one for me which was  OK ish, but I don't really use a dress form at all, and it was too depressing to look at so I binned it.  I padded mine out with stuffing [not sage and onion] and had a shaped hanger inside to keep the shoulders right, which then suspended from some contraption the missus made from a microphone stand
C'est moi!

washi

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 13:58:22 PM »
I made a duct tape dress form with my sister-in-law and while the process was a lot of fun I didn't find the resulting dress form to be that useful. The depth of the former was off for fitting even as the overall circumference was good. And I found it frustrating that I couldn't pin into it. During the same session with the sister-in-law, she also wrapped me up in plastic wrap for a cling film sloper. The sloper I traced off the cling film has been invaluable. Having a flat version of myself for pattern alterations has made the process make loads more sense to me.

PollyWally

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 01:54:06 AM »
I was thinking  of giving the cling film method a try as described on Fabrickated's blog here 
 http://fabrickated.com/2016/07/04/making-a-block-with-cling-film/.

I tend to get a bit claustrophobic so haven't done it yet though.

Fajita

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 10:54:32 AM »
Has anyone tried getting a large polystyrene block and carving it to size?
Just a thought.
I have no intention of doing it.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 14:34:55 PM »
I was thinking  of giving the cling film method a try as described on Fabrickated's blog here 
 http://fabrickated.com/2016/07/04/making-a-block-with-cling-
I think that could be a good way of getting a really usable block.  Mustn't forget to add some ease! :P. I think there are several posts on the internet about this method.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
I had to do this method on a course i went on as a way of getting the perfect fit on patterns, we used sellotape. Once cut out of the contraption it was then cut into relevant sections i.e. back front etc. flattened down and then used to make paper patterns. It in the back of a cupboard some where, so that speaks volumes
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

sewmuchmore

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »
I don't really use a dress form at all, and it was too depressing to look at so I binned it. 
I am with you DF, although i still have her she is used mainly to hang my coat on. Whilst she may be the same measurements as me she is totally the wrong shape. She has enormous boobs, i may have a large chest measurement but no boobs. Plus she is short and dumpy, i am sure i don't look like that  ;) 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:39:27 AM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 11:36:16 AM »
My dressform is wearing the Indygo Junction pyjamas I was desperate to make a few years ago....

Never felt the need to use her for some time, I get the feeling she doesn't approve of me :(  She stands in the corner staring at me  in her perfectly pressed pyjamas.... The original pyjama lady  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.