The Sewing Place

Hi, from Lancashire

Kad

Hi, from Lancashire
« on: May 17, 2017, 20:50:25 PM »
Hi, I've been wandering around this forum for a few days now and you come across as a very friendly, , supportive and knowledgeable group.
I've been sewing for as long as I can remember, comes of having a Mum, Nan and Great Nan who all sewed, knitted, crocheted etc I suppose. That, and ending up being 6' tall and skinny at 14 yrs old made it kind of necessary - still tall but not what you'd call skinny these days! These days I sew mainly for myself and my tall slim daughter, design and make quilts, bags and purses, and will turn my hand to curtains/furnishings when the opportunity arises.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Lantana

Re: Hi, from Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 20:53:30 PM »
Welcome Kad, yes this is a lovely forum ... it's what keeps me sane. so much good advice and wonderful creations to look at! Hope to see yours soon!

:vintage:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 22:18:39 PM by Lantana »

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 21:55:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum Kad... I see your from Lancashire  :)...my favourite fabric shopping area its a good thing I don't live too close :fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :fabric: have fun on the forum
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 22:06:07 PM »
Hi Kad, welcome from me too. I'm in Lancashire today but for a rather sad purpose although I did manage to get to Minerva Crafts in Darwen but didn't come away with much.

I visited Immanuel's in Burnley last month so I might go to Aberkhan in Preston tomorrow but we'll have to see how the time goes. Where do you go fabric shopping in Lancashire?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Kad

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 22:38:47 PM »
I do the majority of my dressmaking fabric shopping at either Oakmount Mill also in Burnley, or Standfast & Barracks in Lancaster. I've been to Immanuel's but it wasn't for me I'm afraid.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:52:55 AM »
You make quilts :D Come on over to The Dark Side  :devil: and we'll make you very welcome  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lizzielogs

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 08:14:10 AM »
Hi, I've been wandering around this forum for a few days now and you come across as a very friendly, , supportive and knowledgeable group.
I've been sewing for as long as I can remember, comes of having a Mum, Nan and Great Nan who all sewed, knitted, crocheted etc I suppose. That, and ending up being 6' tall and skinny at 14 yrs old made it kind of necessary - still tall but not what you'd call skinny these days! These days I sew mainly for myself and my tall slim daughter, design and make quilts, bags and purses, and will turn my hand to curtains/furnishings when the opportunity arises.

Hi Kad, I'm new here too and used to drop in and out of TSF it's lovely to have support again.
(I'm a "bag lady" too!)

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
Hi Kad, welcome.  I had similar problems as a kid 6'1", skinnier than Twiggy was and big feet. Scholls took care of the shoe problem and I had an uncle who was a tailor who took me on as an apprentice when I left school, quite unusual for a woman in those days.  I don't really know where my interest in sewing came from as my mum and gran had no interest in it, unless it came from hours of watching Uncle Sid.
I've shrunk and expanded a bit since then  0_0 5'11" and size 14/16 now and can get tops to just about fit, the current fashion for tunic tops has been great but can I hell as like get trousers as long as I like to wear them, I'm 34" inside leg to my ankle but I like to wear them so they are about 1/4" off the floor.
I retired a couple of years ago and swore I'd never sew another stitch but I now find I need something to do to keep my brain occupied so am looking for a less complicated style of sewing to what I'm used to. I don't want to go back to making patterns from scratch, couture or tailored garments but I'm struggling and the people on here have been a fantastic help.

Kad

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 18:26:10 PM »
Hi Surest1tch, there's nothing, apart from mis-matched stripes/checks, that I hate more than 'half mast' trousers! Fortunately these days I can usually find trousers from NEXT that are long enough, and there's always Long Tall Sally but their stuff is dearer, but when I want more colour choice and 36" inside leg I have to create my own. My DD is 6'2" and her elder brother towers over all of us at 6'5" and we all have loooong legs so I'm used to adding length in legs, sleeves and just a little to body length. At least these are relatively simple alterations compared to those other people have to deal with ! As I said before, my mum, Nan etc all sewed, they were not any taller than average but mum always said that it took two of them sewing flat out to keep up with my growth spurts :). My great Nan was a milliner but I've never worn any more than a Bobble hat in the winter - I'd never get in the car if I did  :D

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 18:44:40 PM »
Hi and welcome from me too. I wondered how long it'd be before the 'Dark-Siders" found you! :ninja: :ninja:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 18:53:55 PM »
I wondered how long it'd be before the 'Dark-Siders" found you!

For one moment, I thought you meant dork sided.