The Sewing Place

Thursday 18th May

Vegegrow

Thursday 18th May
« on: May 18, 2017, 06:46:20 AM »
Off to Cheltenham today to take Mum to see her Brother who lives in a nursing home there .. then overnight in a B and B  and off to the ragmarket on Friday morning... see you when I get back  :*

ps 26mm of rain yesterday... yahhhhhy
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Mama likes to make

Re: Thursday 18th May
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:59:30 AM »
It's gorgeous here but due to rain later. I need to finish the waistband on my trousers so hand sewing in front of a midsomer murders is in order I think.
2018 fabric used 6.5m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 3.

Zigzag

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:02:43 AM »
Sunny morning here.  Looking forward to choosing a pattern to join in the Japanese sewing...
 :frock:
Love sewing with Sapphire, Janome, Silver and Babylock.
Best friend is the serger to give that superior edge to seams  😍

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:16:37 AM »
Panic Mode here with the Dorothy dress.  Didn't get as much done yesterday as I wanted, so need to catch up as much as possible this morning.

Fingers crossed there are no further interruptions this morning!

Four plain white buttons needed too....  :'(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:31:13 AM »
Working day today so bound buttonholes will have to wait. I started these yesterday and realised quckly that the Vogue pattern I was using had some steps missing  :angry: so had to look up the steps in my sewing book. The buttonholes I've done so far are ok-ish but not as neat as I'd like. I would not have used the same fabric as the coat if I'd thought about it in advance as it frays and doesn't take a crease very easily.

The moral of the tale is that you wouldn't be able to make successful bound buttonholes only working from the pattern instructions!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:35:33 AM »
Good morning all. Finally a dry day, so it'll be gardening for me  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 09:38:49 AM »
Lovely sunshine here, should be just right for laying turf - when it arrives, I hate not knowing what time stuff is coming.  I'll be laying lino and putting a curtain rail up in the summer house while I wait. And maybe shovelling and barrowing the remaining ton of gravel.  We're quite looking forward to finishing all our garden work, and having time to take the Puppy out in her new bike trailer.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »
After rain all day yesterday, nice sunshine this morning..... till I put a wash on! Clouded over now, but hopefully will stay fine long enough to get the washing dry  :).
Hoping to get through lots of small sewing jobs today, makes the list go down faster and seems less daunting. They're easier to fit in between appointments too, and I've quite a few people coming and going today.

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry 😉

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 10:31:21 AM »
We finally had some rain overnight, but dry and bright again now.

I decided that I don't like the grey chiffon bought for my 'dress to impress' so ordered some ordinary black lining fabric which arrived yesterday along with the black lace to trim the edges so this morning I've been getting on with it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 11:22:13 AM »
 Had the first gather of were and lambs this morning.  As always a bit chaotic but we got done what we needed to do without any disasters and the dogs didn't go off in a huff.  I'm hoping to get some plants out into the garden and polytunnel today.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 11:32:31 AM »
Housework and ironing today.  Booooooo.  My parents are coming to stay next week though, so it has to be done.

If I get far enough for today I have a thing to get on with.  Not sure how to describe it - it's somewhere between a blind and a wall hanging.  We have glazed double doors between the kitchen and the dining room, and I want to be able to hide the dining room because even though I have a decent study/sewing room upstairs, I usually have my machine etc out on the dining table.  The hanging is appliqued with jugs as though the panes of glass were shelves. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lantana

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 12:30:07 PM »
I really have got to tidy the house today and try not to think about my IT stuff as per yesterdays rant! Just have to forget about it for a bit. Can't think about sewing until I've tidied the house and the garden is so negected that that too is bothering me and dulling the creative spirit. Seriously wondering on the latter whether I could find enough money for a days help. It would feel extravigant as I'm on a pension on the other hand as the help I have in mind is the enterprising son of a friend of a friend it does feel right if you know what I mean.

Tonight is the campaign meeting and I'm preparing myself not to fall into the trap of offering to do too much. My share of course as I believe in the cause but ours is not a key marginal by any stretch of the imagination so effort will not be rewarded!

I really must get some sewing done soon .... oh sojo where have you gone?

:vintage:
Feeling the fear and doing it anyway .... er sometimes!

shadykittykat

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 12:35:50 PM »
Quite bright and sunny today. I have been food shopping and feel I should really do something else, but lately I have felt so exhausted I have done little more than work and throw some food together for the family to eat when I get home. No sewing, no running, no fun ☹
Kate
Running, sewing, eating.....
Wandering warily in warmest Worcestershire

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 13:26:41 PM »
... Seriously wondering on the latter whether I could find enough money for a days help. It would feel extravigant as I'm on a pension on the other hand as the help I have in mind is the enterprising son of a friend of a friend it does feel right if you know what I mean.

Go for it - after my father-in-law my mother-in-law, on a very modest income, had someone to help with her garden for many, many years.   It meant that she had someone to discuss and plan the garden with, and as she got older the gardener did all sorts of other little jobs for her that she couldn't manage.  It can be remarkably cheap and gives such a reward if you love your garden but are finding it a chore - and you are doing something good by giving employment.  Everyone wins.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 17:24:44 PM »
Ooh!  :o

There's a chap on Pointless today called Imi ....

How very dare he !!!!! :o

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again