The Sewing Place

Sunday 21st of May

Lantana

Re: Sunday 21st of May
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2017, 14:25:41 PM »
I'm feeling happy this morning. This popped up on my reader.
 http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-talks-illegal-uk-expats-british-abroad-not-vote-french-lawyer-julien-fouchet-european-a7745216.html
Finally, someone has noticed that expats have been disenfranchised in the referendum which will effect them more than anyone else. Hooray!
DF - save the clocks! Such nice fabric. You can do it.

Oh wouldn't it be great to halt the craziness?  Not holding my breath mind but any glimmer of hope has to be hung onto.

Yesterday was a right off for me as I recovered from my stint of canvassing on Friday. Emotionally and physically draining. Had to get up early to catch a bus for the one hour journey got off at the wrong stop (hadn't realised it was able to stop further along as this in only the second time I've used my bus pass since getting it nearly 3 years ago) and then nearly got lost finding my way to the meet up point only to find that I'd been allocated to the team doing the flats!!  The emotional effort of keeping polite cannot be underestimated! But needs must!

Wasn't all bad of course some people said 'yes' and 'could I have a poster?' And when we re-grouped at the cafe I was delighted and totally surprised to see that the lady serving up the bacon sarnies was an ex girl friend of one of my sons from a while back. Whenever she'd visited me I had to cook bacon sarnies (every single time!!) so in spite of the fact I rarely eat them made an exception in this case.  :)

So this afternoon I need to sew to restore myself for the next stint of mountain climbing in Norfolk!

:vintage:

Feeling the fear and doing it anyway .... er sometimes!

Snowgoose

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2017, 14:29:30 PM »
Looks like we'll have to water the turf today - not that I'm complaining about the sun you understand!
I think we may take the pupster out for her first ride in her bike trailer today - let's hope she likes it.  I have lots of things I want to sew, but you can't waste nice weather.

Do you think the pup wants to go out?

Your puppy is a stunner!

Please could you post some pictures of the trailer?  I've been debating for ages whether a trailer or front basket would be best for my pooch - she's smallish!  I like the idea of the basket - and pup loves being pushed around in the wheelbarrow - but I'm not at all confident on a bike and I wonder if a trailer would be safer for a wriggly furball...   -< 

'You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.'
Robert Louis Stevenson

Lantana

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2017, 14:34:56 PM »
Yes I'd like to see a photo of the trailer as well! I wonder how it will compare to the one my dad built to fix on his bike to take my sister and I out and about when we were little? I'd post a photo of that but I've not seen it for ages hope, it's not one of the ones my mum threw out! Happy days!

:vintage:

Tamnymore

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2017, 14:54:27 PM »
Good for you, Lantana, doing your civic duty.
Thanks for useful list of recommended  indies, DF. I  don't usually have a problem with the big companies - they are normally accurate and true to size-  and Vogues are my fave. However the Vogue coat pattern I'm doing at the mo has a couple of steps missing. A Kwik Sew tunic pattern, which I like, has completely the wrong measurements printed on it and the instructions on hemming it says just to turn up the bottom edge. Given that it has side slits which form acute angles, unless you mitre the corners you will get a rather chunky mess. Nice pattern, though, if you know about mitring corners!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2017, 15:39:57 PM »
it says just to turn up the bottom edge. Given that it has side slits which form acute angles, unless you mitre the corners you will get a rather chunky mess. Nice pattern, though, if you know about mitring corners!

I think that aspect is getting more common, probably so as not to scare off the noobs?  I think proofreading is often skimped on though.

I think the number of Vogue patterns I have still just pips Style Arc, but I must update that spreadsheet!
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2017, 17:30:15 PM »

So this afternoon I need to sew to restore myself for the next stint of mountain climbing in Norfolk!

0_0   0_0  Just as well you didn't get rid of those crampons.
What goes around comes around.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2017, 17:44:02 PM »
Ankle now ok, weather forecast for next 10 days is great so we are going tomorrow. Spent today tidying garden and panic sewing, despite making 6 t shirts, 4 blouses 2 dresses and a pair of culottes this week i have "nothing to wear" so had to make a skirt today.
See you all in September.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Pinkstar

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2017, 17:55:28 PM »
Ankle now ok, weather forecast for next 10 days is great so we are going tomorrow. Spent today tidying garden and panic sewing, despite making 6 t shirts, 4 blouses 2 dresses and a pair of culottes this week i have "nothing to wear" so had to make a skirt today.
See you all in September.

Have a great time SMM.
Got some ideas for DDs new bed.  She can't make up her mind between a divan or a frame, but she now knows which firmness of mattress she likes.
I've began unpick my favourite summer dress (its a Next dress from over 10 years ago) to see if I can make a pattern to make my own.  It was a lovely sleeveless, empire line, blue linen cut on the bias, I had to stop wearing it when it began to go see through  :o

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2017, 21:04:10 PM »

Your puppy is a stunner!

Please could you post some pictures of the trailer?  I've been debating for ages whether a trailer or front basket would be best for my pooch - she's smallish!  I like the idea of the basket - and pup loves being pushed around in the wheelbarrow - but I'm not at all confident on a bike and I wonder if a trailer would be safer for a wriggly furball...   -<
Here you go...

Lantana

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2017, 22:36:17 PM »
Oh I love it!   <3 Puppy seems to as well. What a little treasure ....well not so little now of course.  :)

L :vintage:

Snowgoose

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2017, 23:12:41 PM »
Thank you!  What a wonderfully happy pup  :). She looks as if she is having a marvellous time! 

I love your trailer, it looks lovely and safe - I'll have to show it to my pooch and ask her what she thinks  ;)

I'm beginning to think a trailer will be a safer option, my  :woof: is so wriggly  :)
'You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.'
Robert Louis Stevenson