The Sewing Place

Jeans in Silk Denim

jen

Jeans in Silk Denim
« on: May 21, 2017, 11:00:23 AM »

I'm making some wide leg jeans in a silk denim fabric bought from les coupons de saint pierre. I've made these high waisted, with a wide band going from just below the waist to a bit above it, and deep Italian pockets in the front instead of classic jeans pockets, and bound pockets in the back. I top stitched in pink, after trying several different colours. They've still got to have the fastenings stitched on the waistband, and I want to get a pink belt.

Surest1tch

Re: Jeans in Silk Denim
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
I'd love to see them please if you can post pictures.

jen

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
trying with fingers crossed!

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 13:11:47 PM »
Ooooh that fabric looks luscious!  And the jeans are very 1970s to my jaded eye, we used to wear those with HUMUNGOUS platforms
C'est moi!

jen

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 13:42:34 PM »
I could be secretly channelling the 70s DF. I scanned Pinterest for anything different from the basic jeans I've just made 3x. I like them, but it got boring.  The fabric is interesting, a bit slubbier and a bit softer than regular denim, and also frays more readily. Having made these up, I'm thinking about those tweedy Chanel dresses in the resort collection, or some kind of unlined jacket as being a good use for the rest. (It was sold in 3 metre lots at 30 euros).

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 13:52:52 PM »
Make a little jeans jacket out of it [Style Arc Stacie is good]

I have a silk chambray top that I love to wear because only I know it's silk.  It makes me happy
C'est moi!

jen

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 14:02:20 PM »
That's a good idea, I'll mull it over.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 18:40:58 PM »
Oh I like! Can I ask is the fabric drapey or fairly stiff? I've just made a pair of high waisted black trousers and I'm really really happy with them and would love to try them in a more casual fabric (and I have recently bought a fab pair of high platform type sandals I want something to wear with!)
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

jen

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 18:55:05 PM »
Mama likes to Make the fabric is a little softer than cotton denim, but not very soft. It shrinks if you hot wash and shrinks a little bit in a cool wash, but didn't bleed at all. It frays a bit more than regular denim, and has a slubby texture, while still being the classic twill weave. It was easy to cut and stitch, holding firm. It's matt and probably noil or raw silk by the look of it. The only difficulty in stitching I came upon was when top stitching the belt loops, ie through lots of layers.

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 19:28:49 PM »
Thanks for the picture, they look pretty good to me

arrow

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 16:59:59 PM »
This will have to be the most luxurious jeans ever and even have the indigo dye look!

I think very wide trousers are in fashion, the last two years I have seen them on people in my city, not just on the web. Not flangs from the knee down, but sort of wide from the top of the leg and gradually wider at the bottom. It's not very common, but they are definitely in the stores and some are using them.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 19:38:45 PM »
Am I the only person who sees the title of this thread and starts singing it (in their head) to the tune of 'Nights in White Satin'?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 20:28:42 PM »
Yess! Now I have Knights in White Satin buzzing round in my head.

Acorn, showing your age... and mine.  ;)
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 14:28:13 PM »
Am I the only person who sees the title of this thread and starts singing it (in their head) to the tune of 'Nights in White Satin'?

not now :S
C'est moi!