The Sewing Place

Hi from Hong Kong

Manuela

Hi from Hong Kong
« on: May 21, 2017, 14:37:52 PM »
Coming across some of 'TSF refugees' on the Stitcher's Guild and PR, I thought one cannot belong to too many sewing related forums  :devil:
About me, I've lived in Hong Kong for half of my life (and am not exactly a Spring chicken) and am originally from Germany.
I've been sewing my own clothes since I was 12 years old, trained as a tailor, became a master tailor and later trained tailors. I worked in the fashion industry for 20+ years, left in 2011, studied Chinese and now work in an international school in Hong Kong teaching Textiles.
I'm the happy owner of a little flock of vintage Singers, love dresses and quirky shoes, swimming, scuba diving and New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (not necessarily in that order  :D
Looking forward to participating here.

Vegegrow

Re: Hi from Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 14:42:13 PM »
Welcome Manuela... Recognize the name from PR.. Pleased you have joined us.. grab a  :drink: or even :toast: and have a look round
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 14:50:32 PM »
Hi and welcome. I too recognise you from PR.

Look forward to your posts and expertise  :)
Procrastination get behind me

Lyn-J

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 14:54:32 PM »
Hi Manuela
Good to see you here!

Lantana

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 15:37:39 PM »
Welcome Manuela!

When I saw your face I thought 'why is she introducing herself now?' and then remembered it wasn't on this forum I'd seen you it was the other one! Once seen never forgotten! Pleased you have joined us.  :)

Lantana :vintage:

elephun

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 15:40:07 PM »
Hi Manuela- nice to see you here!

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 15:40:54 PM »
Hello missus, join in the snark, we're not so delicate here as on some other fora... :devil: :devil: :devil:
C'est moi!

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 15:51:55 PM »
Lots of familiar faces here, thank you for the warm welcome  :D
Reading my way through the forum, I really like it here.

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 16:20:25 PM »
And hi from me.  Glad you like our little place.  :flower:

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 18:42:39 PM »
Hi Manuela, from another  SG member ( very occasionally )
 I found a lot of the people on there a bit too precious for me.

Pour yourself a glass of your favourite tipple and make yourself comfy. We're very friendly.!   
Why do we have a fish emoticon, I hear you ask? That's for dishing out a good fish-slapping when people upset us! :devil: :devil: :fish: :fish: :fish:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 19:02:26 PM »
And if you are puzzled by the reference to fish slapping, this will explain.  0_0

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 20:01:32 PM »
Hi Manuela - welcome from me too.  :)

I seem to hang around SG more than PR for some reason but I've seen you on both although I didn't know your background so it's interesting to read it now.

Most non-sewers couldn't imagine the benefit of fish on a sewing forum but, when needed, a good size salmon and a hefty swing will usually win the day.  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BajaSusana

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 21:59:33 PM »
Hola Manuela!
Nice to see you here!

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 00:37:22 AM »
After watching the videoUttaRetsch so helpfully posted, I agree that fish slapping can be very beneficial  :devil:

DaisyChain

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 06:26:22 AM »
Hi Manuela,
lovely to see you here.

trained as a tailor, became a master tailor and later trained tailors. I worked in the fashion industry for 20+ years,

Wow! that explains the beautiful quality of your work I've seen on SG!

Looking forward to reading your posts.  8)