The Sewing Place

Why?

Efemera

Why?
« on: May 21, 2017, 18:06:30 PM »
Are the sleeves wrinkling like this..it's Butterick 5891. I just need to know but not that it matters ...it's in the bin!

BrendaP

Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 18:09:12 PM »
Were they cut on the straight grain?

Could you possibly have sewn left sleeve into right armhole and right sleeve into left armhole?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 18:19:19 PM »
..all cut on the correct grainline and in the right way..they were stitched in the flat, not my favourite method but for once I followed the instructions.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 18:40:32 PM »
OK here's a bit of the benefit of something I've learned from all my recent historical sewing...

Rotate the sleeve.  Make up your sleeve, make up your bodice, and try it on, rotating the sleeve round your arm until it sits correctly.  THEN pin and sew it in.  ie ignore the 'normal' midpoint of sleeve to shoulder/match notches.  You will often end up with the 'underarm' seam a little forward, but so what?

It's one of those things that modern pattern drafting, which averages everything out, doesn't allow for.  No need for fancy pattern alterations, just rotate it a bit.  It's all to do with your stance, and the way your upper arm sits against your torso.

Try it!  Get it out of the bin, unpick one sleeve, and give it  ago.  The rest of it fits you nicely, shame to waste it
C'est moi!

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 18:48:04 PM »
Thanks.... I will get it out and try that.