The Sewing Place

Ideas for a complete novice

Tawny75

Ideas for a complete novice
« on: May 22, 2017, 15:11:21 PM »
Dear all

I can happily sew quilt blocks and patchwork and do basic FMQ but I have not attempted any clothes since I made some skirts with my mum about 30 odd years ago.

I am a larger lady (size 22) and I would like to attempt to make some tops/tunic type things for myself.  Do you have any suggestions of patterns etc for a novice dressmaker but not novice sewer if you see what I mean.

Thank you muchly in advance

Acorn

Re: Ideas for a complete novice
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 15:19:43 PM »
Style Arc.

The patterns are great, the fit is easy to adapt (but actually pretty good without, for me at least).  I have to admit that the instructions are not greatly detailed, but I'm not sure that would be a problem for you.  If you sign up for their newsletter you will get a free pattern.  Although this is for trousers, it would give you an example of the instruction style.  Scroll down on their home page and the subscription box is on the left.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 15:35:46 PM »
I have just completed two cotton lawn tunics from Simplicity 1461 which I can highly recommend. It comes with multiple cup sizes to choose from.

I made the View D which is the most simple. I am now working on the View E.

Cotton lawn is a great beginner fabric. Works well for this style of tunic, presses easily, handles easily.

You could make one and finish the seams with a zig zag, then try french seams for the second.

Here it is on me, I'm a 24. It's slightly the wrong size for me (shoulder-wise) but I'm still happy.

Here it is on my Mum who is a size 24. The first version used the C-cup. I went up to the D cup for the second one. I also capped the sleeves on the second one as I felt there was too much poof in the first sleeve:

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 15:58:48 PM »
For a novice clothes maker I would recommend using a pre-printed pattern rather than .pdf format which has to be printed out and stuck together.  Look for something described as 'easy' for your first make, and probably best to stick to non-stretch woven fabric rather than jersey.

Jaycotts website is a good place to look for patterns.  Be aware that you should use a pattern to fit your bust measurement, and that pattern sizes are not the same as ready to wear clothes sizes.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »
I've just ordered the style-arc Marilyn from Amazon, it says the difficulty rating is medium but I would say from the look of it, it's going to be quite easy.  I don't intend making it as a dress, it's going to be a tunic.

Lizzy777

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 13:38:27 PM »
I've just ordered the style-arc Marilyn from Amazon, it says the difficulty rating is medium but I would say from the look of it, it's going to be quite easy.  I don't intend making it as a dress, it's going to be a tunic.

It's a nice pattern. It probably says it's difficulty rating is medium because of the sleeves.
It doesn't have a zip so the loop opening is easy enough to handle too.

Have you chosen your fabric yet?

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 15:13:12 PM »
Have a look at Love Notions Laundry Day Tee. It's free when you sign up for the newsletter and has many iterations and lots of help and advice  . There are two sleeve fits as well so you can choose loose or snug depending on you. Lots of help on the  FB support group as well. It is a knit.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Tawny75

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 15:26:54 PM »
Thank you all for the advice, I have ordered the Simplicity pattern suggested by Francesca, along with a cotton lawn fabric and some muslin so I can make up a trial first.  I am now waiting patiently.

Maximum

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 16:39:36 PM »
Glad you have ordered a pattern to get started and also some fabric for a trial or toile before cutting your intended fabric. Hope you enjoy the process.
Did you order muslin or calico? Hope I'm not telling you what you already know but muslin in the UK is like cheesecloth - open weave and floppy. For toiles many people use calico as it is cheapish and is a medium woven fabric. In the USA they call our calico muslin, so confusing. Old sheets and duvet covers also make useful fabric sources for pattern and fit testing.

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 16:54:06 PM »
Let me know if you need any help on it. It's a very easy pattern, at least in the variations I did (with the split down the middle rather than the scooped neck).

Tawny75

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 11:44:32 AM »
Glad you have ordered a pattern to get started and also some fabric for a trial or toile before cutting your intended fabric. Hope you enjoy the process.
Did you order muslin or calico? Hope I'm not telling you what you already know but muslin in the UK is like cheesecloth - open weave and floppy. For toiles many people use calico as it is cheapish and is a medium woven fabric. In the USA they call our calico muslin, so confusing. Old sheets and duvet covers also make useful fabric sources for pattern and fit testing.

I think I have ordered the wrong thing. I ordered muslin......   oh well it only cost £5. I do have an old duvet cover I could cut up instead.....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 13:59:35 PM by Tawny75 »

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »
Duvet cover would probably work really well.

You'll be able to use the muslin maybe as a substitute for a very lightweight fabric (e.g if you were making a toile of something you plan to sew in chiffon) but the duvet cover will probably be a better match for a lawn.

Tawny75

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 14:00:09 PM »
Duvet cover would probably work really well.

You'll be able to use the muslin maybe as a substitute for a very lightweight fabric (e.g if you were making a toile of something you plan to sew in chiffon) but the duvet cover will probably be a better match for a lawn.
Thank you :)

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 15:57:30 PM »
UK muslin might also be suitable as a lining for a summer dress/skirt.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.