The Sewing Place

Greenthumbing for Spring!

Francesca

Greenthumbing for Spring!
« on: March 02, 2017, 12:14:41 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm back trying to wrangle my garden into something nice for 2017... 2016 was my first year of having an actual garden and it was a tip as the previous tenants didn't care about it.

Luckily this year the landlord has agreed to pay some labour costs to get some proper landscapers in to make it nicer... my partner and I paying for the materials.

I had spent a lot of money last year on plants so this year I'm going to try and grow from seed instead. I've got seed trays already and one of those roll-down greenhouses. A friend of mine has an allotment and we're doing a seed swap.

My plans this year are:

• Replant all my little pots that sit on an old painter's ladder with herbs that we can use in cooking. Flowers die too quickly and I'd rather have a nice herb garden. Rosemary, chives, sage and mint is what I can think of at the moment.
  • Wild garlic to grow in a planter on our colder wall. Sadly the cat decided it was his personal toilet so I need to completely dump all the earth in there as it's toxic and recover the inside (it's one of those basket types)
  • Strawberry bags. With limited sunny spots (the sun strikes fully down a narrow passage that only hits a very small area of the garden) I am going to try moving all my strawbs into hanging bags on the fence. The six plants had a million babies.
  • New veggies in the planters. But SLUGS ack. I need a better slug method this year. Everything got eaten.
  • Take cuttings and replant in the ground. I planted a lot in pots, because we are rented and I don't want to spend hundreds on plants to put in the ground and then have to leave... so I am going to take cuttings from what I potted, move potted into the ground... and then report the cuttings to get "241".
  • Front garden! It's pebbles but we're getting a nice fence put in and I am going to get my friend to build some long and low planters. Boyf hates the "lack of privacy" and would love a hedge. But I may go for lavender as it's fast growing and bushy.

maliw

Re: Greenthumbing for Spring!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:41:40 PM »
Hope all your plans become a reality. DH is the gardener in this household, I can't bend too much due to back problems so I have the ideas and spend the money :D
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 13:05:32 PM »
Good luck, sound like you're going to be busy!!  If you have lots of pots, I can highly recommend setting up an automatic watering system.  I used to get fed up with going away for two or three weeks camping in the summer and coming home to dead plants.  I then lived in a camper van for a couple of years, then a flat, and now have a lovely man and a cottage in the country, we just have grass and hedges (and chickens), no plants, no time to look after them!

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 13:25:11 PM »
Marjoram is an easy herb to grow and much loved by bees.  A very good way of growing strawberries is in self watering hanging baskets.  I've done that for years.  Excellent baskets for that are Stewart Corinthian ones - very cheap but last for ever. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 17:15:34 PM »
I garden all year round as we never get frost. We cut the grass weekly in the winter and snaffle slugs constantly  -<
Today I planted a privet hedge, potted on 24 plants and pruned some shrubs. We have 1/3 acre so it's a never ending odysey  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »
I've spent two afternoons clearing and tidying an herbaceous border.  60'x8'.. that's just a fraction of the garden...after 30 years I don't want to do it any more.. time to downsize methinks.

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 10:57:48 AM »
Our garden is really tiny but even then it's tough to wrangle. Couldn't do it with a bigger one!

I ordered strawberry wall bags hoping to get them up in the sun ASAP as the weather is getting more pleasant. Might get an early crop.

As soon as I have the money I'm going to start on seeds from the herb garden. Start them off indoors then put them in my plastic greenhouse.

Boyf wants a new BBQ so that'll be something to purchase come summer.

Had the man round Sunday to measure up for some work. Hoping to reclaim the front garden back into a garden rather than a driveway. Going to plant something bushy in planters. Also possibly a tree or something tall and bushy to go in a big pot so people can't stare at me as easily through the front window.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 12:18:14 PM »
You see this is when I really feel my age, when people make numerous 'plans' and it takes me all my time to keep one ball in the air now.   Fortunately I am not the gardener but I am the painter and decorator and I love looking at the new catalogues of colours that come out.

At the moment our greenhouse (conservatory) has three Strelitzias (Bird of Paradise) with two flower heads on each plant and when they've flowered and gone outside I get the conservatory back.  Potatoes are the first thing in tubs outside and we had runner beans for a few years but then you have to freeze in bulk.

I really don't like tidy spick and span gardens, nice and untidy with plenty of wildflowers for the bees.  At the moment the grass is still too wet to cut and is still clumpy from last year, but when it is cut it does make everything look tidy.  I would like some chickens but I have to admit I wouldn't like messing about in the middle of winter with them.

NeilM

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 17:35:42 PM »
Good luck on your project!
Woke up today to -22c. Started seeds last Dec, weather is like a yoyo, +15 one day and -15 the next, so my plants have to keep under my full spectrum lights and struggling with Aphids having a ball.

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 18:55:19 PM »
Minus 22C?? Where are you gardening Neil? 

Great to hear your plans Fran, you can also consider plant plugs - :flower: bit more expensive but easier and more encouraging to get going if you don't need a lot!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Francesca

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 20:36:57 PM »
Saw a really good tutorial video earlier for quick and cheap potatoes.

Get a big plastic plant pot, well actually get two.

Take the first one and use a boxcutter to cut panels out of the sides so you're left with a "pot" with lots of big gaps around the edge.

Stack that pot inside the other. Then you can supposedly lift the inner pot out and access the potatoes from the bottom without pulling up the plants.

Is that a useful thing? Or do you want to bin the plants anyway?

twopence

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 20:40:27 PM »
Started to reorganise the front garden last year and took out most of the leggy plants so it is mainly earth at the moment.  As I'm not going to be able to replant it after my op I have bought two boxes of mixed seeds that are bee and butterfly friendly and intend to scatter them around Easter to cover the bare ground.  If I like the effect then I may do it again next year. :flower:

We cut back the climbers in the back garden on Sunday so that leaves the pots to trim up - I can do that sitting down, the lawn to rake clear of moss and the patio to clean but they're down to the OH especially this year.

MrIminei

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 20:57:57 PM »
  • Replant all my little pots that sit on an old painter's ladder with herbs that we can use in cooking. Flowers die too quickly and I'd rather have a nice herb garden. Rosemary, chives, sage and mint is what I can think of at the moment.
Basil will grow in the mini greenhouse in the cooler months, & be OK outside in the warmest months. Thyme is useful.

• New veggies in the planters. But SLUGS ack. I need a better slug method this year. Everything got eaten.
Copper. Beer. Slug Pellets

Head butler to a Siamese cat.
Iminei's husband & chauffeur to quilting emporia.
When she asked me if I wanted to be her slave this wasn't at all what I had in mind.

MrIminei

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 21:04:42 PM »
Saw a really good tutorial video earlier for quick and cheap potatoes.

Get a big plastic plant pot, well actually get two.

Take the first one and use a boxcutter to cut panels out of the sides so you're left with a "pot" with lots of big gaps around the edge.

Stack that pot inside the other. Then you can supposedly lift the inner pot out and access the potatoes from the bottom without pulling up the plants.

Is that a useful thing? Or do you want to bin the plants anyway?

These things are pretty good and easy to store away for the next year. Most garden centres have something similar. Potato plants only last the season, & when you harvest there are usually some that are too small to be of use.
Head butler to a Siamese cat.
Iminei's husband & chauffeur to quilting emporia.
When she asked me if I wanted to be her slave this wasn't at all what I had in mind.

Swisslass

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 07:42:39 AM »
Parsley and coriander also grow well, I bought a pot of fresh parsley from the supermarket, used it then planted the pot in the garden. When the kids were little we grew potatoes in ikea bags, we put four plants in a bag then topped up with soil as they grew, just make sure they don't dry out or get too hot.
One machine is not enough, to sew this lovely woven stuff ...