The Sewing Place

Greenthumbing for Spring!

Roger

Re: Greenthumbing for Spring!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 12:03:14 PM »
We recently bought a house (Omg it's been nearly a year!)... but it was a pensioners bungalow (gone into care) it was obviously owned by a keen although possibly red obsessed gardener, but most recently it had only been lightly maintained ie lawn mowed and it's a large end plot garden bigger than I want tbh.

But we've done a shed load of work to it over the past year, (serious pruning, phenomenal weeding, and some substantial replanting) but it's starting to come together!

But this year is sorting out the veggie area (previous owners veg area then dumping ground, tidying around the bins and working out what to do with the drive... I think it needs raking and membraning.

And still find time for sewing machines and sewing :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Maximum

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 14:22:08 PM »
Fran - if you have a cat, please don't use slug pellets. We tried the beer traps one year for slugs and caught loads, but because I didn't want to waste the beer I took the slugs out onto the path and left the beer to catch more! Imagine my shock when the slugs started to come round and wander off - they were just drunk and not dead :angry:

Francesca

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 14:46:39 PM »
Fran - if you have a cat, please don't use slug pellets. We tried the beer traps one year for slugs and caught loads, but because I didn't want to waste the beer I took the slugs out onto the path and left the beer to catch more! Imagine my shock when the slugs started to come round and wander off - they were just drunk and not dead :angry:

Yeah, I never use poison. But I tried copper and it does absolutely nothing. Beer traps next.

Francesca

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
Strawberry bags arrived!!

Going to try and plant the strawbs in them this weekend and get them hung on the fence so they can start getting better sunlight :D

Need to buy more compost as the cat thought the open bag I had was his personal litter tray.

Maximum

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 11:36:32 AM »
Fran I think your cat needs a firm 'talking to' :meow: :angry:
Alternatively have you thought of just giving in and providing an outside litter tray? More work for you but if he uses it then it will be easy to clear up. Just hope you don't have lots of visiting cats using it as well.

Francesca

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »
Fran I think your cat needs a firm 'talking to' :meow: :angry:
Alternatively have you thought of just giving in and providing an outside litter tray? More work for you but if he uses it then it will be easy to clear up. Just hope you don't have lots of visiting cats using it as well.

Yeah I'm considering it. Lazy sod I don't know why he can't just go somewhere discreet. He literally sees an open bag of compost and thinks it's a personal toilet.

I might stick one behind the shed which is "dead space" and see if he seeks it out and then at least I don't have to worry about him finding his way into my planters.

Catllar

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 13:31:02 PM »
We recently bought a house (Omg it's been nearly a year!)... but it was a pensioners bungalow (gone into care) it was obviously owned by a keen although possibly red obsessed gardener, but most recently it had only been lightly maintained ie lawn mowed and it's a large end plot garden bigger than I want tbh.

But we've done a shed load of work to it over the past year, (serious pruning, phenomenal weeding, and some substantial replanting) but it's starting to come together!

But this year is sorting out the veggie area (previous owners veg area then dumping ground, tidying around the bins and working out what to do with the drive... I think it needs raking and membraning.

And still find time for sewing machines and sewing :)

That's what I call a project -
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 13:32:10 PM »
Fran, slugs don't like sharp grit so if it's baby seedling they are eating try that round the crowns. Some people have good results with egg shells but you do need a lot of eggs!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Maximum

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 14:08:33 PM »
Good luck with grit and egg shells! I think the slugs in Bedfordshire are armour plated as they climb over anything. Beer was best but they sobered up and a thick line of salt around tubs also works but you can't put it on the soil as it kills anything growing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 14:54:11 PM »
Lazy sod I don't know why he can't just go somewhere discreet.

He's a boy !!
Life's too short for ironing.

AnneFrances

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 20:37:14 PM »
We got very fed up with the slugs consuming our baby runner beans, sweet peas, clematis shoots and lots of other things, and then discovered  Slug Gone sheep's wool pellets. When it rains they felt up and make a sort of mat around the plants and they do seem to work better that anything else (beer, grit...) that we have tried. I won't use chemical slug pellets and the bio control nematodes didn't seem to work either. But sheep's wool is altogether natural and seems to do the trick. I think I read about in one of the Royal Horticultural Society publications.
Best wishes for your gardening
Anne

NeilM

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 17:32:18 PM »
Diatomaceous earth is used allot to get rid of slugs.

Francesca

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 17:59:14 PM »
Well I forgot to buy compost in town, so strawberries didn't get very far today...

But I hung the bags up ready for them so that's a start! Just need to fill and then plant the strawb babies from the planter out to the hanging bags and hope they start coming to life!

Not sure what to do with my two planters this year. I was thinking of trying raspberries? I know they need stakes to grow up but the planters aren't huge so maybe something that grows upwards is better. Courgettes last year were a nightmare because they want to grow across the ground and the planters aren't big enough to contain them.

Runner beans and raspberries?

Also thinking of trying some root hormones and see if I can get cuttings growing. I have this plant in the back garden in a pot, can't remember what it is but pale green with long flowers that sprig up in a bright purple. It has grown HUGE. I think there were two plants in the pot and it's absolutely gigantic. I was thinking of breaking one plant out and putting it in the ground (trying to get ground cover on the back bank as it's so nasty and weedy and hard to keep under control) and then leave the other in the pot.

Also, french lavendar has died over winter and gone very woody but still has some green. It'll come back won't it? I was hoping to get cuttings going from it to eventually plant out in long planters in the front garden once our rope fence has been put in to make a nice quick growing, bushy "hedge". Same goes for the hydrangeas in pots which have nearly all died away. I was hoping to plant them in the ground too.

The idea with the garden was to put everything in pots for one season, then plant out. That way I didn't feel like it'd be a waste of a plant if/when we leave (rented house) because at least I'll be able to take all my pots with me. So I was thinking hydrangeas in pots would go in the ground, big purple plumey thing in the ground, and this grass thing I have all in the ground to start filling up the back bank, and then I can buy new replacements for the pots and not spent hundreds on plants that all go in the ground and then we move...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 18:06:49 PM by Francesca »

Francesca

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 12:21:40 PM »
Got the quote yesterday evening from the landscaper to do the garden work. It's just over £1000 which actually seems about right to me, as that's including materials and involves pulling back driveway gravel, weed treating, weed membrane, properly edging (with bricks) down the front drive, putting posts and a small fence in, removing a tree stump and building a low retaining wall in the back garden. I've just got to hope the landlord agrees. We've agreed to pay material costs which is about £470 of the lot.

I bet they'll turn around and say "no" and then continue to complain that the front garden looks messy. Erm hello, the weeds grow on a DAILY basis as there is no weed membrane to help us out, the gravel has thinned because you took a SLEDGEHAMMER to a nice wall and left the tarmac from the public pavement to crumble into the garden. People walk on the drive all the time and stones get kicked out into the road and washed away... of course it looks awful. Just hoping my offering to pay for materials can convince them!

Francesca

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 15:26:39 PM »
Spotted some little metal buckets with flat backs to nail to fences/walls etc in Flying Tiger for just £2 each. Very tempted to make good use of our "sunny passageway" as most of the garden is in shade.

I've already got strawberry bags so they are done... what else grows nicely in a wall planter in the sun? Thinking something trailing? They are very tiny pots though, needs a plant that doesn't mind being kept small.