The Sewing Place

Tuesday 23rd May - sad day

Mozzy

Re: Tuesday 23rd May - sad day
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
Yes I was struck by the readiness of Mancunians to help with lifts home, water, or a bed for the night. That's the only good news.

To attack a venue with children and young teenagers is appalling.

Mozzy

crooknees

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 10:39:54 AM »
Why do the innocent have to suffer? It is so sad.
crooknees - buried under a mountain of fabric and yarn.

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 10:45:07 AM »
It's awful, can't seem to get my head round stuff this morning.  Happy families last night, broken this morning.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Snowbird

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 10:52:57 AM »
Absolutely saddened by the news ...youngest son read it on Twitter last night just after it had happened. we turned on news channels but there was very little about it, they thought maybe it was a speaker amp.
My eldest son's working partner's sister was at the gig but thankfully they are safe.

Wishing everyone Om Shanti ... ( peace to everyone )

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 10:54:17 AM »
Words fail me
:'( :'( :'(
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Pinkstar

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 11:52:15 AM »
Awful day, so glad my kids didn't manage to get tickets to the gig.  Fortunately DDs friend didn't go as she'd had a falling out with the people she was due to go with (they're all safe as well)

Lyn-J

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »
Echoing what everyone has said.
Very sad.
Lynne

arrow

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 13:08:19 PM »
I just read a few lines on it before I went to bed last night, and I haven't read up on the latest updates yet. It shall have to wait until tonight. There has been a lot of bombings and attachs the last few years. Wasn't someone run over and trown off a bridge in London earlier this year? Lots of very young people on events like these. The way things are politically it looks like this is the situation we have to prepare for, which is terrible really.

BajaSusana

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 13:47:47 PM »
A few moments of abject terror for us this morning - our 20 year old goddaughter was at that concert.

She is fine - thank goodness for Facebook and her friends making sure everyone knew.
Dear Acorn,
 I have goosebumps after reading your post. That fist moment of fear when you think a loved one could be involved take you breath away. The relief when you know that they are safe is profound.
 I am so glad that your goddaughter is safe.
The shock, pain and horror is the same with each one of these horrible attacks no matter where they occur.
Again, so glad that your special one is safe. <3

maliw

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 14:41:07 PM »
So so sad and appalling. My thought are with the families. We didn't know about this until mid morning as we don't have the tv/radio on and it was DD who told us, horrendous.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Catllar

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 15:16:35 PM »
Each and every one of these attacks fills me with dread. We lost someone in Bali.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

violetpastille

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 16:07:00 PM »
My heart and thoughts are with the people of England on this terribly sad day.

Didi

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 17:25:17 PM »
Sadly there are some very evil people walking this earth. I saw this on FB earlier and it just about sums it up for me

"So they know the identity of the Manchester bomber but have yet to disclose it .... well to the police chiefs and MPs here is my request ... DONT.
Do NOT name him I do not want to know his name ... I do NOT want to see his face and I certainly don't want to turn on my television or radio and hear about his background... I want to hear about the victims so I can grieve for their families, I want to hear about the heros so I can commend their bravery, and I want to hear about our emergency services so I can be thankful that we have them ..... I do not care about the coward that detonated the bomb and I do not think he deserves to be named .... let's call him terrorist number 123 or whatever number you choose to give him and then let's not give him another thought.
Stop making martyrs of these cowards I do not want to hear about them.
#manchester"

Francesca

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 17:39:22 PM »
Yes, I hope they never name them.

Even so, we seem to be getting much better at not holding onto the name and identity of these terrorists like we have in the past. Although the attacker from the Westminster bridge attack was named, can any of us remember it?

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 18:36:32 PM »
What a truly c*** day this has been.

First waking to the news of the atrocity in Manchester and now I hear that Roger Moore has died!

let's call him terrorist number 123

Absolutely!! Hear here!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again