The Sewing Place

What have you bought?

BrendaP

Re: What have you bought?
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »
It's from the stash that the creative spirit flows and it's this forum in the various sew alongs and challenges that provides the focus. You can't have one without the other  :)

So very true. 
:fabric: :snip: :vintage:      :fabric: :snip: :sew:    :fabric: :snip: :thread:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2017, 11:47:46 AM »
Today's delivery, all are jersey. The pink not showing it's pattern but it's like little tiny diamonds.  I can't find the quality I want for a new towelling dressing gown so I've compromised and gone 4 jersey.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:52:33 AM by Surest1tch »

maliw

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2017, 15:38:00 PM »
I was at Abakhan this morning and the acquisitions are :-
a piece of pale grey/blue linen look fabric for trousers + zip
two pieces of t-shirt fabric, one plain royal blue and one patterned
several pieces of craft cotton - one for a planned quilt for DGS and rest for stash (as if I don't have enough)
As I have one of their loyalty cards I received a £10 gift voucher so treated myself to a couple of patchwork templates.
Not a bad morning!!
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Tamnymore

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2017, 16:12:32 PM »
Mmm great haul, maliw. And I'm just checking my Abakhan loyalty card to see how much you have to spend to get a £10 voucher. You have been a frequent flyer at Abakhan, haven't you? ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 17:44:02 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2017, 17:19:00 PM »
I bought some beautiful pure white-on-white striped stretch cotton, which arrived a tad too late to sew it up for the White challenge.  I put it to one side and sulked lightly...

Today, I had an email saying I'd had  a partial refund of postage charges from the seller, and I went to look again at the fabric...because I'd said to the missus there wasn't enough for a long sleeved shirt BUT the eBay details reminded me I'd ordered THREE METRES.

I measured it.  110cm.  TWENTY ONE QUID PEOPLE!  I probably would not have noticed, or not for some time!  I messaged the guy, he's sending me more.  What is it with my sewing luck right now?  Which sewing gods have I offended?  Have I not shed enough blood to the seam ripper and sewing needles?

C'est moi!

maliw

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2017, 19:51:35 PM »
Mmm great haul, maliw. And I'm just checking my Abakhan loyalty card to see how much you have to spend to get a £10 voucher. You have been a frequent flyer at Abakhan, haven't you? ;)
This is my second loyalty card :| In my defence I got a card when they were first issued but yes, I do go quite often. ;)

Didi

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2017, 21:44:51 PM »
I was in Abakahn this afternoon the little one in Chester on my way home from work. I needed 2 zips for some cushions I am making for 2 colleagues who are retiring both are Radiography lecturers and married to each other so 1 cushion has a skull embroidery and the other a hand. Whilst I was there I had to go and have a look downstairs at the fabric because it would have been rude not to and some navy dress polyester fabric just happened to come home with me, hoping to make a dress - that fits- this weekend. I just need 1 more stamp for my £10 voucher

maliw

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2017, 14:25:52 PM »
Ooooh the temptations of Abakhan!!!!!

Lilian

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2017, 21:21:02 PM »
I looked in the local Red Cross Charity the other day - they always have fabric.  I spotted under the pile a large bag, Laura Ashley bag, with 3.8 metres of 60" wide blue medium weight cotton, I thought it was chambray at first but it was heavier - £10!  And another piece of orangy/pink another 3 metres or more, cotton - £2!  All brand new and never used.

I am thinking of making a floor length kimono style house-coat with the blue and possibly use the pinky one as trim.   :fabric:  :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 21:22:33 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2017, 23:21:30 PM »
Ooooh the temptations of Abakhan!!!!!

Those of you in the north-west are so lucky to have Abakhan to tempt you.  When are they going to open branches in the south-east? >:)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2017, 19:38:38 PM »
I went to get some material for trousers today.  Heavy cotton, ideally with a bit of stretch.  And absolutely, definitely not denim, because I already have too many things made of denim.

I found this lovely stretch ... ahem ... denim.   :|

It's patterned, though, so that makes it not-exactly-denim, doesn't it?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »
If you say so!   :)

Catllar

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2017, 19:56:44 PM »

Being off work recuperating is chipping away at my bank balance...will this madness ever stop...I only started sewing in January!!!

xxxxx

You've a lot of catching up to do - don't worry, we will support you!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2017, 20:04:11 PM »
I bought some beautiful pure white-on-white striped stretch cotton, which arrived a tad too late to sew it up for the White challenge.  I put it to one side and sulked lightly...

Today, I had an email saying I'd had  a partial refund of postage charges from the seller, and I went to look again at the fabric...because I'd said to the missus there wasn't enough for a long sleeved shirt BUT the eBay details reminded me I'd ordered THREE METRES.

I measured it.  110cm.  TWENTY ONE QUID PEOPLE!  I probably would not have noticed, or not for some time!  I messaged the guy, he's sending me more.  What is it with my sewing luck right now?  Which sewing gods have I offended?  Have I not shed enough blood to the seam ripper and sewing needles?

Clearly not m'dear! In fairness he should send you 3 new whole metres so you recover from the trauma of short shipment ( which can be very painful!)
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2017, 21:03:37 PM »
Latest acquisition....
Lovely fine cotton lawn dobby, soft cotton with anchors and brushed cotton with elephants.
The first two will be rompers for my grandson and not sure what to make with the last one but just had to have it.  :P