The Sewing Place

What have you bought?

Efemera

Re: What have you bought?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 15:28:31 PM »
I bought the same fabric in blue from Boyes in Stokesley...

BrendaP

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 15:47:27 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean. I feel like it's a grey area. It's much comfier to wear than polyester or nylon though.

I agree - viscose/rayon comes between the natural  fibres and the synthetic ones when it comes to comfort, absorbency etc.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lantana

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 17:16:12 PM »

I work on the principle that when we retire (not a chance), I will never have to go out buying fabric again!!!  ;)

Jessie

I'm not into sewing clothes but when I was at work I used the same justification for regular orders of quilting cotton from e-bay and whenever I went anywhere near a quilting supplies outlet.

I've now retired and I can tell you it doesn't work as old habits are hard to break!

Plus in spite of a large stash I can never find exactly what I want and anyway it's my civic duty to support local craft shops and I just happen to have one. :P

Lantana   :vintage:

Francesca

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »
Jessie, the blue chambray arrived. Lovely quality. Nice weave and looks like the picture in terms of colour. Not a lot of drape, as expected with chambray, and it's lightweight too. Very pleased with it.

Kad

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 14:40:32 PM »
I nipped up to Lancaster this morning, it's only 30 mins up the M6, and just happened to call in at Standfast & Barracks. Actually I didn't get any further on my journey as the fabric was delicious and I just had enough in my purse for:

The first three are Liberty Lawn and the last is a John Lewis cotton poplin - I only went in search of fabric for a dress for DD but just couldn't resist.  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Kad

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 14:45:16 PM »
I got photos attached !!

With the fabric that my DD rejects I might just use Butterick 6024 or McCalls 7094 for myself, if she doesn't put another order in first.  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Manuela

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2017, 01:18:24 AM »
I succumbed to temptation, and bought this, a cotton sateen.

Vegegrow

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2017, 07:48:00 AM »
I succumbed to temptation, and bought this, a cotton sateen.
oh that's nice  :loveit:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 09:13:04 AM »
I like that Manuela, and cotton sateen so nice to work with.

I'm shopping for gold braid/ribbon, today, and a bit of something else to see me over the Bank Holiday...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lantana

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2017, 10:38:07 AM »
I don't do garment sewing but I could certainly be tempted to buy the fabrics. <3  I'm enjoying looking at your finds!

L :vintage:

Surest1tch

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »
Not sure if I've figured out how to do this but here goes

Surest1tch

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2017, 12:40:32 PM »
2 more.  Sorry I've managed to upload 2 pics of the same one and can't work out how to remove the extra one but hey I'm still learning!  I've got more to show you upstairs that I bought on Thursday, will do that later.  The red in the first post and the spotty one in the second are for tops, the pin stripe were for Capri pants but it's a lot heavier than I expected so that can save for winter trousers.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:46:42 PM by Surest1tch »

DementedFairy

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2017, 19:15:49 PM »
Not sure if I've figured out how to do this but here goes

I had some of that, it's very nice, but incredibly static-y.  I'm hoping a vinegar rinse will cure it, or I'm unlikely to wear it often!  Let me know if yours is the same
C'est moi!

Surest1tch

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2017, 21:35:30 PM »
I had some of that, it's very nice, but incredibly static-y.  I'm hoping a vinegar rinse will cure it, or I'm unlikely to wear it often!  Let me know if yours is the same

Oh heck, which one?

DementedFairy

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2017, 21:39:35 PM »
The pretty red and white sparkly one.  I prewashed it, and don't use a tumble dryer, but it made all the hairs on my arms stand on end all day when I wore it lol

Vinegar rinse usually fixes it!

It's this Style Arc Daisy tunic
C'est moi!