The Sewing Place

What have you bought?

Ravingdoll

Re: What have you bought?
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2017, 14:10:24 PM »
I had forgotten about Fabric Godmother and now feel the urge to go on their site. Purely to see if I experience the same problems as you DF of course! Although in my present mood I don't think I need a new excuse to rant and curse!

Tamnymore

« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2017, 14:43:31 PM »
Ooh yes, some tasty stuff there! I missed out on an ebay auction of tweed yesterday but that's probably a good thing as it was for 6 kilos of tweed remnants which is the equivalent of 10m+. My stash is hardly tweed free. There's loads of it waiting patiently to be made into something fabulous. It will have to wait a bit longer as I need to get onto summer sewing at long last.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Catllar

« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2017, 19:49:26 PM »
Oooohhhhhh, that is soooooooo beautiful  :loveit:
Are the panels long enough for a very simple maxi dress?

No, not quite, but I could block it together...... hmmmm.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

elisep

« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2017, 10:37:35 AM »
I went to a fabric wholesale warehouse sale yesterday and walked out with a few very pretty pieces of fabric! I love this warehouse as they import fabrics from Italy and always have the most gorgeous quality fabrics.

From left to right - 3m of gorgeous red wool melton. Going to make myself another winter coat. Style still undecided!
2m of a lovely pink toned, lightweight wool. It has the feel of a silky wool melton but it's more of a suiting weight. Very unusual and feels amazing. No idea what to make with this, maybe a jacket of some description?
2m of black cotton/rayon blend suiting. Ear marked for trousers (in fact, going to cut them out this evening!)
5m of teal cupro lining. Bought to make piping for and line 2 riding vests (one for myself and a friend) for riding club
2m of stretch ottoman or ribbed ponte? Not sure which. Slight sheen to it. Just the perfect weight to make myself a pair of riding breeches.

Close up of the pink wool. Might be holding onto this one for a while, as I've no idea what to make with it!!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Emma2109

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:35 AM »
I have been looking for ages for some border print fabric as I want to try and make a semi fitted dress (on the top) with a half/three quarter circle skirt..found some on e-bay...very very pleased with it...180cm wide and 3 metres length for £16...it was one of those bidding things...first time I have bid for anything (I had guidance from my daughter)....

It's a soft drapey/stretch material (sorry, don't know the technical term as I am still at the stage of describing...I know what cotton and poplin look like now!!)

I order it on Sunday and it arrived today....

X

Vegegrow

« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2017, 10:52:12 AM »
Very pretty Emma and really good price...
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Efemera

« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2017, 13:31:24 PM »
Bought this.... ready made!

Manuela

« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2017, 15:08:18 PM »
I have been looking for ages for some border print fabric as I want to try and make a semi fitted dress (on the top) with a half/three quarter circle skirt..found some on e-bay...very very pleased with it...180cm wide and 3 metres length for £16...it was one of those bidding things...first time I have bid for anything (I had guidance from my daughter)....

It's a soft drapey/stretch material (sorry, don't know the technical term as I am still at the stage of describing...I know what cotton and poplin look like now!!)

I order it on Sunday and it arrived today....

X

Beautiful fabric Emma, I love black & white, and I love butterflies.
Given that this is a border print, you might want to rethink the circle skirt idea though  :)

Emma2109

« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2017, 23:28:22 PM »
Thanks for the feedback VG and Manuela..

What about a panel dress.?...maybe 6 panels...so I get the fullness at the hem and the fitted aspect at the waist....I dont want to lose the border print, yet, something empire with flair at the hem suits me best...I hope this makes sense...all suggestions are gratefully received xxxx

Manuela

« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2017, 23:57:59 PM »
Panels should be no problem, as long as the hem is straight.  :)

Vegegrow

« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2017, 20:15:22 PM »
yes that sounds like a better option Emma have you sewn knit fabrics before?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lilian

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2017, 23:07:10 PM »
I went to a Doughty's roadshow and bought these fabrics.  I had in mind to start another for the Japanese Sewalong using the Japanese fabric on the left  :snip:  I'm still  -<
Willing but not always able :)

Vegegrow

« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2017, 08:04:13 AM »
Lovely Lilian I've never been to a Doughty's roadshow ... looks like its dangerous  ....gulp

Stitches

« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2017, 08:38:12 AM »
got this fabric from Midland Textiles yesterday not sure what to make with it

b15erk

« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2017, 09:13:20 AM »
I love the dragonfly fabric Stitches, and the pink, the red is lovely too.  ;)

Look forward to seeing what you make with them.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.