The Sewing Place

The other S word

justpottering

The other S word
« on: May 24, 2017, 20:26:53 PM »
Slimming!
Joined a well known class tonight - determined to make some changes and am in the right frame of mind, so struck while the iron was hot! Also started walking again did well yesterday - couldn't get my legs at all interested today though.
Wish me luck.
jp

also prompted by a lovely fabric I have in my stash that I would love to wear but not at my current size - it may not look as great as I think it will if I lose weight, but what's to lose? oh wait a minute - weight  ;)
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Catllar

Re: The other S word
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 21:00:47 PM »
Hope it goes well for you. Don't overdo the walking - start short and build up slowly. Don't forget to have a bit of a stretch afterwards.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 22:25:52 PM »
Oh jp I hope I'm in the right frame of mind to join you.  The weight has been creeping on for a couple of years now and all my loose tops that are supposed to disguise things are looking  rather overstretched. 

I need 2.5 stone off to be at my best weight so please keep posting your success to spur me on.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Mama likes to make

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 22:29:42 PM »
I'm on the journey too. I have a lot to go but will get there.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:55:41 AM »
Since I have been less mobile I have noticed my weight creeping up and would love to lose 2 stone ideally. However, as wine and cheese are my downfall I can't see it happening any time soon  :(
I did go to Slimming World a few years ago. It was excellent but I didn't keep it up because I hate cooking and it's best to make the meals yourself. Also, I am vegetarian and OH is just the opposite so, making 2 lots of "proper " meals just did my head in  :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lantana

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »
Since I have been less mobile I have noticed my weight creeping up and would love to lose 2 stone ideally. However, as wine and cheese are my downfall I can't see it happening any time soon  :(
I did go to Slimming World a few years ago. It was excellent but I didn't keep it up because I hate cooking and it's best to make the meals yourself. Also, I am vegetarian and OH is just the opposite so, making 2 lots of "proper " meals just did my head in  :(

I fully understand about that last point Low! One of the advantages of living on your own is the whole meal issue ... I haven't miraculously discovered any joy in cooking that's too much to expect but when I next put my mind to losing weight it will be sooo much easier without having to think of someone else.

Not in the right mind set at the mo, too focused on the unmentionable topic.

I now a lot of people find the various slimming clubs helpful but having tried them in the past I can say that I am not one of them!

Good luck everyone on your reducing weight ventures  :)

Lanty  :vintage:
Feeling the fear and doing it anyway .... er sometimes!

justpottering

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 20:05:29 PM »
It can be a difficult journey I know from experience I lost 4 stone about 15 years ago and am still the same weight now I need to get rid of about the same amount this time to be ideal - whatever that is!
I am getting older and feel its now or never.

Now those who like to give us fruity names for body shapes would say I am an apple and apparently apples have the hardest time losing weight (I think its hard no matter what shape you are) but I have a cunning plan...........
I consider myself more half an apple one that's been cut down the middle because I have a small back a flat backside and all the weight in my bust and tummy areas so I reckon that it will only be half as difficult as they say  :toast:
JP

Lantana

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 20:19:39 PM »
It can be a difficult journey I know from experience I lost 4 stone about 15 years ago and am still the same weight now I need to get rid of about the same amount this time to be ideal - whatever that is!
I am getting older and feel its now or never.

Now those who like to give us fruity names for body shapes would say I am an apple and apparently apples have the hardest time losing weight (I think its hard no matter what shape you are) but I have a cunning plan...........
I consider myself more half an apple one that's been cut down the middle because I have a small back a flat backside and all the weight in my bust and tummy areas so I reckon that it will only be half as difficult as they say  :toast:

Losing 4 stone is a heck of an achievement well done! Have I understood you right that you have kept it off and now wish to lose another 4 stone? Or did you mean that it's crept back on and you need to lose it all over again?

I had fully intended to have got slimmer by the time I retired but life events over took me and scuppered plans. It becomes harder the older you get but I love your cunning thinking re the body shape!  0_0  0_0  0_0

L :vintage:

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 20:20:27 PM »
I always thought of myself as an apple, the majority of my excess weight is on my stomach, but I stupidly put my measurements into one of those sites that identify your body shape. Turns out I'm a rectangle, so really a bloody great BRICK. :'(

At least its the time of year for salads and its too hot to cook!
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 21:12:42 PM »
For me, it's not about losing weight (I weigh 53kg) it's about gaining muscle tone back. Since coming out of the other end of menopause I have lost an awful lot of muscle mass and strength and am now a very saggy, baggy, celleulite-wobbly little sod.  I have joined a gym to try and get some muscle and strength back and hope that by the end of this year I can see some firmness happening. My job is extremely active and I am struggling every day with muscle soreness and tightness due to soft tissue fatigue.
1980 Janome (aka Joan...she's no nonsense or frills),  Bernina 710 (aka Bernice), Juki TL2010Q,  1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora).
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

twopence

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 22:27:26 PM »
I have been trying to lose weight for a while now with no luck.  In the first nine months of 2011 I lost over three stone without changing anything and even had a knee replacement so less active than normal.  I told my GP at the time but she didn't make any checks to see why it was happening.  Two of those three stones have gradually been added again.  I usually eat 1300/1400 calories a day and most days I do around 7,000 steps.  Now that my hip is healing well I hope that I can increase that and I know that when I eat salads in the summer my calories drop to nearer 1,000. 

I have now started to self medicate with the active thyroid hormone to the pro hormone that the NHS provides me with and hope that this will help.  I'm seeing my physio to get back into my DIY hydro next week too.  I'm hoping that I can get somewhere as with three joint replacements now I want to put off any revisions.

rubywishes

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 22:41:53 PM »
So much depends not only on our state of mind and determination but also on having the right support people, clinical and otherwise to help.  I hope we all achieve our goals  :)
1980 Janome (aka Joan...she's no nonsense or frills),  Bernina 710 (aka Bernice), Juki TL2010Q,  1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora).
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

justpottering

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 16:45:51 PM »
Lantana yes I kept it off and would like to lose same again at my heaviest before my daughter was born I weighed 24st 5lbs never one to do things in a rush I lost four and half stone got pregnant and lived happily and busily for 10 years passed and then had another go and lost 4.5  again kept that off and 17 years on  am on the final lap that's how I see it
Interestingly each time I had a go I was successful up to a point then just stopped because life the universe and everything got in the way this usually was connected to moving to a different part of the country with hubby job.
I have often wondered if success at those intervals was due to my body settling into the new weight before it was ready for the next stage not that I suggest taking as long as I have but when there's a lot to lose and they give you a target that seems impossible then maybe doing it in chunks with time to settle in between might avoid regain maybe? I don't know I'm just typing as I'm thinking here
I know I am fortunate that each loss was enough for me each time to be happy with it so was comfortable to sit with it for while

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 16:47:41 PM by justpottering »
JP

Lantana

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 23:27:58 PM »
Hi justpottering,

Thankyou for sharing your experiences re losing the weight. I'm full of admiration for you  :) . So many people, after the mammoth efforts of losing a lot of weight, find it creeps slowly back on so what you have achieved is quite special. I think you could be onto something re the 'settling into the new you'.

I've made the aim of losing a certain amount but never get very far. I get so despondant feeling starving hungry feeling exhausted from all the extra exercise and still not losing any weight and none of the body measurements altering.

As I've said to Fran I think when I'm next in the mindset I'll try the 5/2 diet. I've heard positive things about it.Years ago I tried the Atkins but felt so ill I gave it up after 3 days!

L :vintage:

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 09:39:26 AM »
Someone gave me a copy of a diet I must try last week.  I looked, and deja vue happened all over again.  Anyone remember the egg and grapefruit diet (many moons ago!).  This one looked very like it, with lots of dry toast (ugh), and lists of 'no alcohol' 'no milk butter or fats', 'plenty of water'  (ugh) .

I feel past the age when I want to subject myself to a regime like this.  I don't over-eat, but I do take less exercise, partly mobility, and partly because I lost my walking buddy Poppy....  :'(

I want a fat-busting pill!  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.