The Sewing Place

Chiffon substitute?

Heikedog

Chiffon substitute?
« on: May 26, 2017, 00:30:37 AM »
Is there a "chiffon-like" fabric that doesn't fray?  ><  This will be for the tunic portion of a dress for the "Diana" variation.

Thanks!

elephun

Re: Chiffon substitute?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 04:11:28 AM »
Some synthetic fabrics can be cut and sealed with a hot knife tool. I'm not sure if chiffon is one of them. Kenneth King talks about working with lames this way in his Fabulous Fabrics course on Craftsy. Here's a screen capture where you can see the tool and the lame and the pattern:

I'm not sure what tool he's using exactly, and I don't have time to watch the video to see if he says. Maybe someone else will know. I think you could use a soldering iron or a wood burning tool. It might be worth experimenting if you already have one of those around.

CarolC

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:29:21 AM »
What about a lightweight stretch net? Comes in loads of colours and doesn't fray.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 09:32:55 AM »
The tool looks like a hot stylus as used for pyrography - 'drawing/writing' on wood, looks like burnt etching for want of a beter description.  If he's using it to seal the ends of fraying fabric it must be getting hot enough to melt the fibres.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »
Is there a "chiffon-like" fabric that doesn't fray?  ><  This will be for the tunic portion of a dress for the "Diana" variation.

Thanks!

An image of the pattern you are referring to would help.

The reason chiffon frays like mad is because the threads it's made from are fine and slippery. 

Would georgette rather than chiffon work?   A lightweight cotton lawn or UK muslin might work, or maybe georgette which is slightly heavier than chiffon.  Alternatively a lightweight knit fabric won't fray but it might run in ladders.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Snowgoose

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 13:56:55 PM »
Fabric Master 15/30w by Antex (R2J82TW00). If you search for this, it should take you to Amazon  :)

sewing in oz

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 14:24:35 PM »
I generally use stretch mesh or stretch chiffon (just be careful it doesn't ladder!  There was a long thread back on TSF about a saga I had with some stretch chiffon, which laddered as I tried to pick it up to move it to the sewing machine.  Now I test it for laddering before I choose it.)

If you do want to use actual chiffon, then polyester chiffon can have its hem melted by careful cutting with a hot-knife blade, or more careful melting with a lit candle taper.  Don't try it with silk chiffon as it's not a "plastic" fibre, and will char rather than melt.

Lollipop

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 20:47:56 PM »
I love stretch mesh. It drapes beautifully and doesn't fray.
Was Sewnanny

Heikedog

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 23:57:54 PM »
Thanks, folks.  I bought the Diana pattern from Tutu.com.  I may give it a test run in stretch mesh and then try it in chiffon.  I've just made several chiffon ballet wrap skirts, and "hemming" over an open flame is a risky proposition.  It worked OK, but the slightly irregular hemline bothers my perfectionist side.   >:)

Twan

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 20:47:11 PM »
I bought a hot knife for cutting poly chiffon. It still requires precision but it's brilliant. It heats up when you press the button, but cools down pretty fast after you let it go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HSGM-Rope-Cutter-Portable-Industrial/dp/B009JG8MCY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496605583&sr=8-3&keywords=hot+knife

Syrinx

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 21:00:59 PM »
This is slightly terrifying. I'm making something out of chiffon and if you awesome seing geniuses struggle with the damn stuff fraying, I'm going to positively drown! Interesting about the pyrography tools, it always amazes me how people come up with these solutions.

I know you can get very soft and flimsy tulle, so that could be an option, but it's not as soft as chiffon... :/

Twan

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 21:30:41 PM »
I saw it being used in a Dior video and was like... I need that (this was for cutting 45 costumes with unhemmed chiffon sleeves)! haha

But a small rolled hem on the overlocker would work well too. Although it adds a bit of weight.