The Sewing Place

Saturday May 27th

Fajita

Re: Saturday May 27th
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 09:48:59 AM »
We are off out for a picnic, just the hubby and I.
Really not used to it just being the two of us.
Strange time of life as the kids become more and more independent.
Having said that, will be dropping youngest at work in Hereford, first.
Have a nice day everyone.

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
We had lightning but no thunder at around 6am, followed by heavy rain.  Unfortunately it hasn't got much cooler, and we have thick, heavy cloud now.  I think there may be more rain to come - I just hope the next lot clears the air.

I want to rearrange my study/sewing room today, but it is going to be a mammoth task.  Currently the sewing table is in a dark corner, and I am claustrophobic, so I use the dining room table.  I can see a better way, but it requires moving two very large bookcases (and one small one), and an extremely large (five foot plus) chest of drawers with a large cubbyhole unit on top of it (and a small one).

I'm feeling hot and tired already...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:20:30 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

maliw

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »
Started cloudy with a bit of rain and a breeze which feels fresher than yesterday but it is now sunny and the sky is clearing. Not sure what I'm doing today. Hope you all have a great weekend. I have friends going to Scotland today and have visions of them sitting on the M6 carpark and another friend set off for the Lakes, she went early but don't know how early, must say I don't envy any of  them. We stay at home at bank Holidays.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 10:58:33 AM »
We had a heavy downpour an hour or so ago - I didn't hear any thunder, but was indoors helping to take down our little art exhibition in th elibrary, but it's bright and sunny again now..

Today I must stop procrastinating, get the binding on Caroline's cover finished and then fiddle about with the diamanté bling for my dress to impress.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 11:01:57 AM »
We do exactly the same Mal.  It was a nightmare when youngest DD lived in Knutsford.  The motorway at the weekend, or after work was a nightmare.  We spent longer on the motorway than we did visiting!

When we were children though, my dad thought it a big treat to take us for a ride along new motorways, which were virtually empty  :o - not something I do by choice these days  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Snowgoose

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 11:04:49 AM »
We had a fantastic storm last night!!  Thunder which shook the house and both fork and sheet lightning  :loveit:  Tired this morning as I was glued to the window for over an hour oohing and aahing at the spectacle  :) 

:woof: not worried at all and ended up asleep in my arms while her crazy human enjoyed the storm  :D. More please!!
'You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.'
Robert Louis Stevenson

Pinkstar

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 11:05:56 AM »
It was 19 degrees here before 9 am  :o  Managed to get the dogs walked early this morning so hopefully they will settle down for the day.  One of the dogs loves his cool mat the other is meh about it and will half sit on it if forced to, so I have utilized it for the moment  :D
Got some more tissue / tracing paper and hope to get the rest of my old summer dress traced out today.

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 11:09:54 AM »
Imagine what it's like down here  :o :o We're 10 miles from Land's End, overlooking St Michael's Mount and just up the road from St Ives. Campervans,caravans,tractors, overloaded cars.....it's great on our ( single lane ) bit of the A30 on a summer's Saturday  :D
Trick is.....most holidaymakers ( quite rightly ) don't get up and out on the roads before 10.30am...so......get where you're going before then and you're ok  :D
I'm not moaning btw, I love the buzz and bustle of summer and Cornwall relies almost exclusively on the tourism industry. All we need now is the sunshine to come back  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewingsue

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 12:07:23 PM »
When we were children though, my dad thought it a big treat to take us for a ride along new motorways, which were virtually empty  :o - not something I do by choice these days  ;)

Jessie
That takes me back. We must have been down visiting relatives in SE England and dad drove back via the M1 soon after it opened.
No speed limits in those days and he 'did the ton'. Only once, to mum's relief - as she said afterwards "he got it out of his system".

Weather still hasn't broken here. I managed to finish the garden job I started yesterday, digging out a shrub so the ground will be clear when I decide what to replace it with. Putting other jobs on hold as it really is too hot and anyway I run out of energy quicker nowadays.
Besides I got carbon paper yesterday so I can mark my calico toile for my Craftsy jacket class.

Acorn, I keep wondering about moving stuff round too. Trouble is you remember that bit when everything is in a mess and you really wish you had never started.
OTOH your plan sounds like a good one.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
Acorn, I keep wondering about moving stuff round too. Trouble is you remember that bit when everything is in a mess and you really wish you had never started.
OTOH your plan sounds like a good one.
I'm at precisely that point now!   :o  I can't get to my computer any more (thankfully my laptop is downstairs) and I have big piles of books and fabric that need sorting out before I can get on to phase two.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2017, 13:55:35 PM »
After a sunny start it has settled to grey and wet so an opportunity to get the sweetcorn and peppers into the polytunnel.  With both ends open it's been up to 42°c in there every day for the last few days so impossible to work during the day.  I've had some fabulous strawberries though.
I've got the weekend to myself as DH has gone to visit his mother so after dark I will do part 3 of the mystery quilt (and eat stuff with loads of cheese).
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2017, 14:09:55 PM »
Tried to get out early this morning, bought the dog a paddling pool, got it filled up then it started to rain!  It didn't actually amount to anything much, and the sun was soon back, but it's now very windy - do we have a storm coming I wonder? 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 14:13:31 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Tamnymore

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2017, 14:43:36 PM »
These reminiscences about motorways of yore reminds me of the excitement over the opening of the Preston Bypass (M6). I think that the space age 1960s structure (now rather tired and rusty, alas) over Lancaster services (formerly Forton) housed a restaurant where travellers could marvel at the motorway while dining!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

justpottering

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2017, 15:08:09 PM »
We had the storm in the night sometime, didn't look at the time. We are quite secluded here so in warm weather sleep not only with the windows open but the curtains as well, so I was woken up by a dark sky suddenly lighting up, then watched it for a while, hubby was sound asleep so I poked him to look  |O
I got up at 6 and went for a walk, it was cooler but fresher and I enjoyed it. Didn't see a soul. But this afternoon I have had to get out the winter woollies! trousers, top and warm cardi  and I have just put the blooming heating on - I'm really cold brrrr yesterday I couldn't get cool....... the weather's gorn mad. :S
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

SingingSinger

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2017, 16:48:47 PM »
I don't think we had a storm here but it's always possible I slept through it! I've been cleaning and tidying my sewing room today which has been quite fun. A bit more tidying needed then I might even take some photos later :)
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Owner of a Bernina 730 Record & a Singer 201K.