The Sewing Place

Best foot forward for Bunting???

Iminei

Best foot forward for Bunting???
« on: May 27, 2017, 07:20:41 AM »
Hi Peeps and especially DF

I have been asked to make some Bunting ??!!

Whats the best /easiest/quickest/most economical way to do this please???

(thought you'd be interested DF!!  :devil:)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lyn-J

Re: Best foot forward for Bunting???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 08:33:16 AM »
I had to do that!
I used left overs from sewing projects.
Cut strips of fabric, then cut top and tail triangles from that, don't finish edges. Attach to bias binding, cheaper by the roll.
Don't worry too much about accuracy, cos no-one will notice  :D
Lynne

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »
Have you got pinking shears Im?  It makes pretty edges without the need to sew.

The one I did for DD was lined, with letters made of coloured crystals.  Depends how fancy you want to go.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 10:48:26 AM »
I've made lots of bunting. It's easy peasy and you get very quick results.
I cut strips of fabric and from the strips, isosceles triangles.  Right sides facing, sew  together( if it will be seen from both sides ). Appliqe if desired,turn them out and finish with tape or bias binding. The trickiest bit is the spacing along the tape. It's very relaxing to make :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 10:59:14 AM »
It depends what you are making it for. I made loads for the Diamond Jubilee and ruled lines on fabric and cut with pinking shears, turned over the top and threaded onto string. For the more durable stuff I cut out the triangles with1/4" seam allowance, add a plain backing and then sew onto bias binding. Enjoy as it's an easy, non brain taxing occupation. I've made so much I've even made a 'bunting template' - how sad is that? Don't answer DF!!!!!!!!
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Pinkstar

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 11:09:39 AM »
Rather than pinking shears you can get a pinking blade for your rotary cutter, even quicker.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 11:11:13 AM »
I too have a bunting template  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »
 Bunting....must be an English thing...we don't seem to "do" bunting over here. Oh...I did see some faded ones hanging from a caravan a while back on our travels....it had definately seen better days and it made me feel all sad inside  :'(
1980 Janome (aka Joan...she's no nonsense or frills),  Bernina 710 (aka Bernice), Juki TL2010Q,  1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora).
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 13:34:01 PM »
Reading this all with interest as I am helping a friend make yards and yards of tartan bunting for a Dec wedding. I wonder if pinking shears will be ok for that- will need to see how much it frays.

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 19:12:33 PM »
GAH
 :angry: :S >< :( >:)

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 22:52:57 PM »

Whats the best /easiest/quickest/most economical way to do this please???

I don't know about best - it's whatever you think is best.
Easiest and quickest is just cut out triangles and sew one after the other onto cotton tape.  Use firm woven P&Q type fabric
Most ecconomical - ask the people who want the bunting to donate the fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy, Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born in 1940. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitch.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 08:09:13 AM »
I`ve only `known` Demented a few weeks - can anyone explain  why she is anti-bunting?!

Swisslass

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 08:21:19 AM »
I ripped the fabric into the required depth, placed one ripped length on top of the other (right sides together), marked the diagonal lines in chalk from a template, then cut with a rotary cutter. (Flags matched and ready to sew). It's a bit of a fag turning them inside out and trimming the point so it's sharp. I found the easiest way to iron was pushing a cardboard template in the flag to make it taut then pressing it. Bias binding by the roll is the way to go, and if you get a bit OCD over the flag spacing I stuck a piece of masking tape at the side of the needle plate with 5cm marked on so they were perfectly spaced. 😂 The first lot of bunting I made I made sure the grainline was running vertically, with the second lot I actually engaged my brain and thought - who cares where it's running 😄 - and cut them out of any scrap anyhow!
One machine is not enough, to sew this lovely woven stuff ...

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 09:07:02 AM »
 :\  I ripped the fabric into the required depth   :o

The bunting is a request from the organisers of the fete that Im going to donate one of my cot quilts to (in a bid to conjure up some interest from the better heeled in the area).

https://chettlefete.co.uk/date_announcement/

Its terribly posh and an Extremely English affair with great tombola prizes and you can actually nominate which prize you want to win. We went last year and Imself (the lucky git) won 2 tickets to the opening day of The Larmer Tree Festival.

So Im willing to make it if they donate the ingredients etc...

Im imagining something simple, maybe small flowery (!) prints in Red, White and Blue, strung along the  ???
What size should the bunts be ???

What do you think?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 09:33:24 AM »
I think the bunting I did for GD's 'graduation' party (graduation from primary to secondary school) had triangles about 6" on the short side and maybe 8" on the two longer sides.  Unfortunately I didn't take any photos but the triangles were (donated) gold lamé fabric.  I borrowed it for a 90th birthday party, but again no photos although I do have a photo from that event which shows some bought bunting.  That had plastic triangles!

A few years ago I made bunting advent calendars with pocket triangles for the grandchildren.  Each year since, they have come out of storage and I get reminded that when they were new they came with chocolates in the pockets!

Both sets that I made had the triangles touching each other, but if you space them out you'll get a longer run for the fabric available.
Brenda.  My machines are: Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy, Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born in 1940. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitch.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/