The Sewing Place

Best foot forward for Bunting???

Snowgoose

Re: Best foot forward for Bunting???
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 10:42:50 AM »
'You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.'
Robert Louis Stevenson

maliw

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »
Jennie Rayment made bunting on Create and Craft this morning using the 30 degree triangle ruler and the bias binding maker - guess what they were selling.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lantana

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 23:12:06 PM »
I`ve only `known` Demented a few weeks - can anyone explain  why she is anti-bunting?!

She did explain and not so long ago. I can't remember now exactly what it was though so she'll either be along to explain it again or you'll have to go through all her posts.

When I moved into my house it was nowhere near ready and I had to use the sewing room to store all my boxes so couldn't get into it. Eventually I uneartherd my singer 99k and as it required no accurate measuring nor special tools decided to make some bunting ready for the day when I could move into my sewing room. As things were moving slowly i then embelleshed some of the pennants and then made miniature quilts with the odd bits.

The thing is and why I'm sharing this is that all the time I was making it I was thinking of DF! I didn't know her very well from the old forum but I could picture her avatar, knew she loved sewing clothes, had a female partner and HATED BUNTING! So in a way she was looking over my shoulder and tutting ... but I paid her no heed and carried on regardless! :devil:

So with no ruler or cutter to hand I just cut strips and then marked a staggered set of dots top and bottom. Used an ordinary ruler and pencil to join them and then used scissors to cut them out. Sewed them right sides together and then turned them poking the bottom point out. Then had fun sewing on bits of lace and beads. Sewed them all at intervals to ordinary tape ... easy peasy and nothing to go wrong!

I'll try and attach photos but the last few times it hasn't worked.

:vintage:
Feeling the fear and doing it anyway .... er sometimes!

Lilian

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 23:23:04 PM »
Did you see this pic from the webpage you put?  There is some bunting at the back, very plain colours and it looks like it has been threaded onto string.

Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 08:38:26 AM »
Fab stuff L ...

I'm sure they asked me because they know I sew, having put my head above the parapet and donating  a prize...
but I rarely sew anything but quilts!!

Yes there was bunting last year but I think they want reams of the stuff and I quote....

looking for helpers to make some decent bunting to go around the stalls at fete. I wondered if that might be something you or anyone you know might be interested in helping with?

I mean its not like I've nothing else to do, Mystery quilt destructions to write out again after laptop rebuild, BOM for WHEN???!!! OMG   :o, Regulation Hanging Sleeves for FOQ Quilts (Unpick, Make, Hand sew x 3)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 10:18:29 AM »
Love the bunting Lanty, love the beams too  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 11:57:48 AM »
If they are only planning to use the bunting once - a posh event couldn't possible re-use it! - just cut out lots of triangles, don't bother finishing the edges and sew the short sides to the tape.

60° triangles are easier to cut with the markings on your ruler but a longer triangle looks better. 
Here is a template.

Should you really want to make it ultra-posh and two sided all the instructions are here, but personally I would use tape or ribbon, not bias binding which stretches like mad.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 13:22:21 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born in 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Lantana

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »
Did you see this pic from the webpage you put?  There is some bunting at the back, very plain colours and it looks like it has been threaded onto string.

Looks like plastic Pound Shop specials to me which for such a posh fete are well out of place!

looking for helpers to make some decent bunting to go around the stalls at fete. I wondered if that might be something you or anyone you know might be interested in helping with?

Helpers ... not donors then? That would also suggest someone has master minded the whole project so surely they must have some idea of the standard required and surely they have already purchased the fabric?

Or are they expecting you to do all that for them as well? (I know what these posh people are like ha!ha!)

Be firm Iminei ... if you really want to do it go ahead it could be a fun stress free project, but if you don't (and although easy it still takes up time and after all you've done your bit with the prize donation) just say NO! Let it be known what an important person you are in the quilting world (which is true .. an exhibitor, a teacher and owner of a very busy forum) and you have so many demands on your time!

L :vintage:

Just seen Brenda's post definitely tape not bias!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:06:56 PM by Lantana »
Feeling the fear and doing it anyway .... er sometimes!

Catllar

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 14:11:37 PM »
If its really not your bag, then say no, I agree with Lantana.!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 17:39:12 PM »
That was a very good Tut Brenda, Thank you soooo much; very much in the Iminei Tut Style...
Never assume the reader knows anything and take a pic of each lil step!

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what gives!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

amymac

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2017, 19:33:57 PM »
I've made many a length of bunting and it really depends what the occasion is as to how much effort you put in.  My daughters have Christmas bunting that I made knowing it would come out year after year.  Similarly, I've done generic Happy Birthday bunting for the grandchildren (which has been borrowed by the local fete committee, minus the birthday bit). 

There's no need to use bias at all for the binding as it doesn't need to stretch, I just cut strips across my fabric and run it through my bias tape maker which speeds the process up nicely.  Also, it's better to use a plain fabric or one with an all over, non directional print, otherwise there is a lot of waste due to half the triangles being cut upside down.

It's really up to you, but as others have said I find it quite a relaxing make!

Syrinx

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 19:46:17 PM »
Layer your fabric up like for cutting square blocks for P&Q. Cut squares. Cut squares diagonally in half to make your triangles. (Pick a boring fabric that has no up or down and work in all orientations)

Grab some ribbon and sew along the ribbon, popping a triangle in regularly and voila - bunting.

If they want fancy then sew your triangles together, snip the point, bag it out, repeat until you have many many two sided triangles. Fold over the ribbon or use binding and sew them all together and voila - bunting.

Boring but simple work, quite satisfying once done. If you want to be fancy but lazy, use pinking shears for single triangles, or hem them. That way you get twice as much bunting as no double triangles to get a neat edge.

DementedFairy

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 20:27:45 PM »
That was a very good Tut Brenda,

I had to read back quite a way looking for a tut.  Then found a BLOODY TUTE FOR BUNTING
Thanks for that
 :S :angry: :fish:
C'est moi!

maliw

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 20:45:23 PM »
Hahahahahaha.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 21:32:09 PM »
I had to read back quite a way looking for a tut.  Then found a BLOODY TUTE FOR BUNTING
Thanks for that
 :S :angry: :fish:

This thread is about BUNTING!   :ninja:  What did you expect?

You could of course make make some Steampunk bunting or buy downloadable bunting images  and maybe even use up the scraps from your peplum skirt.  :devil: :devil: :devil:

Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born in 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/