The Sewing Place

Best foot forward for Bunting???

Iminei

Re: Best foot forward for Bunting???
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2017, 17:59:06 PM »
OOOOhhhhhh !!

I have just received a parcel from Fabricland with fabrics for the bunting ... and to be fair the girl who is organising the fete has chosen all cotton fabrics and tape so Bravo to her!

I know what I will be doing this weekend whilst Cptn Jack Sparrow sails to France with his bosom buddies!!!!

I have told them it will be down and dirty bunting ... ie not turned through, but two sided, sewn together and pinking sheared edges ... Does that sound all right ???

I plan to cut WOF, place two fabrics right sides together (maybe not even the same ones ??? WDYT???),  and then sew triangles up and down ... then cut them with a pinking blade and attach to tape.... Will that work ???

What distance apart do you girls think???
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:29:46 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vegegrow

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 19:10:41 PM »
What is it about your photos Imi I saw this post earlier and the fabric was there in all its glory and now its gone disappeared ..invisible.... :S
  anyway is going to be very posh bunting from the glimpse I saw  :D
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lantana

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 20:08:53 PM »
Yes why do we keep getting deprived of your pictures Imi? :(

L :vintage:

Feeling the fear and doing it anyway .... er sometimes!

Lowena

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2017, 20:19:06 PM »
I can never see any of your photos.  :(
I think bunting is better sewn together and turned, otherwise it looks a bit unfinished with raw or pinked edges.  -<
distance apart depends on how big the triangle is, it has to be proportional....I've made lots of bunting and I love making it  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2017, 06:27:35 AM »
I've made lots of bunting and I love making it 

I'll pop it in the post to you then Low, I need it back here before the end of the month !!! hahahahahaha

Sorry I haven't enough time to faff around with turning etc... tho' Ill make one or two and see exactly how rubbish or good it looks and go from there (I'm going to have to lock the perfectionist in a cupboard methinks)

Seriously tho, I suddenly find myself really busy .... I have got the label for the HSTathon, Hanging sleeve for The Opus, label, sleeve and embellishments for a surprise  ;) and the year end accounts for my friends B&B, not to mention next months BOM ...(Maybe I'll make a tut on bunting instead ???)

We'll see!

Swisslass

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2017, 09:33:01 AM »
I think your method would work fine, I spaced mine 4cm apart, I stuck a piece of masking tape 4cm in front of the stitch plate for ease of spacing. I would also randomly mix the fabric. I made two strings of bunting, the first I got OCD about ensuring that each flag was pink/grey and that I didn't get two of the same fabric next to each other 🙄, the second string was blue/green but didn't have quite enough blue/green to feed my OCD habit - and I like this string better 😂
I think your method will work better than turning and pressing, I've hung mine outside, with the humidity the flags have gone a bit puffy. The pinking shears effect might be a bit of a fag - would anyone notice if you skipped this?
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Iminei

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2017, 09:38:41 AM »
The pinking shears effect might be a bit of a fag

I've got a pinking blade for my RC !!!!  :D

Lowena

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »
Love the fabrics Imi  :)
Bunting ( properly constructed and turned  :P ) is an inane and restful task with a pleasing result ( except to DF  ;) ) It'll go together quickly so shouldn't disturb your schedule too much. Just remember the proportions....width of flag / length of flag / spacing on tape. Looking forward to seeing it  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2017, 09:44:05 AM »
Just remember the proportions....width of flag / length of flag / spacing on tape

Ah yes the proportions....

eeerrrmm  Can you remind me of those again Low ??

Syrinx

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2017, 09:45:01 AM »
Yeah, just cut WOF strips, chop into triangles with pinking blade. Could even layer up a load of strips and cut many at once  :ninja: stick in a few piles and just grab two, sew together untill all gone. Then run them along the tape and sew (so yes to the sew two sides, the third will be done with the ribbon). I agree with the masking tape to give you your distance between and also on the random grab a pair or triangle and sew together.

maliw

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2017, 13:59:32 PM »
I think I've got some of the striped fabric somewhere, it's quite bright and lovely colours.  ;) I like the fabric on the left but it looks too nice for bunting, some sort of top perhaps?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Acorn

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 14:13:05 PM »
Hehe - would they notice if you turned up wearing some of the bunting?   :angel:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2017, 07:06:03 AM »
Well I can definitely say, Im not much enjoying making bunting!

Or maybe my feelings are coloured by my experience of using a pinking RC blade!

G'AH! (as DF would no doubt say) its like cutting fabric with a blunt pastry cutter!
and before you ask, yes! it is  a brand new blade.

So looking at the first attempt, all I can think is ...Pants!

G 'AH!

Tamnymore

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2017, 07:45:27 AM »
Looks good! Though I imagine you are seeing bunting in your dreams by now.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

wrenkins

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2017, 08:42:23 AM »
Looks great from here.  0_0
I wondered about those pinking blades...glad I didn't bother now.   :\