The Sewing Place

Best foot forward for Bunting???

justpottering

Re: Best foot forward for Bunting???
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2017, 08:46:24 AM »
Back in the day I used to make hundreds of miles of bunting for street parties, I'm talking 70's and 80's here, it was like a blooming production line in our house - of course it wasn't called bunting then, it was flags  0_0
I like the fabric Iminei, but where is the patterned and striped ones? I think the plain colours of this one need to be mixed up with the more interesting fabrics. Those primary colours are a bit boring hence the need to intersperse with some interest. I also think the white tape doesn't do it justice - I know it was provided, but it it were me I think I would put the pieces closer together to hide the tape

But it's only flags init? and remember they will probably spend most of their life rolled up not too carefully and stuffed in a box, in a dark corner of a cupboard somewhere  :D
I don't mind doing bunting, got some vintage style bunting hanging over the tops of my fabric shelves in my sewing room, but my favourite one is in my kitchen - I bought it in a charity shop for 50p it has cups and saucers, and teapots hanging from it  :loveit:
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

BrendaP

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2017, 09:55:20 AM »
Just cut it with the regular blade in your RC.  You are sewing two layers together so that will stop the edges fraying too badly.

It's looks good, but I'm surprised you didn't match a pattern/stripe with a plain.
🔽  🔽  🔽  🔽  🔽  🔽  🔽  🔽
🚤  ⛵️  🚤
Happy anniversary for tomorrow
Brenda.  My machines are: Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy, Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born in 1940. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitch.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Lowena

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2017, 10:08:24 AM »
I too think it's the mix ( or not ) of colours that is the problem.
Happy Anniversary for Sat  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »
The other fabrics will be a mix in one string. This is just The Court Jesters string!
Must get back to it I guess ..... sigh ..... :(
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

justpottering

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2017, 14:39:44 PM »
This is just The Court Jesters string!
Oh that's different its a perfect court jester bunting!  :P
It all makes sense now and that'll teach me not to get my facts first  :D

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:23:42 by justpottering »
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Iminei

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2017, 17:51:34 PM »
Okay! I've had it with the pinking RC blade...
Its going back to Lady Sew n Sew and they can do exactly what they want with it!

So, Im now trying to do precisely what I said I didnt want to; turning the damn things out!
But it will take the same time (or less) than cutting with that damn cutter, as it was so difficult and I wont be wasting fabric by mis-cutting either!!

So how do you string these turned out things on the tape....
and how do you finish them nicely ????

BrendaP

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2017, 18:58:01 PM »
Personally I think you are taking far too much trouble over making bunting which will only be looked at from a distance!

Cut the triangles with a regular RC blade, place two triangles wrong sides together and zig-zag down the two long sides.  You are using decent fabric and being cut diagonally it won't fray too much and certainly won't get past the stitching.

Fold the top of each triangle over (only a narrow turning) and place it over the tape so that the raw edges are enclosed and stitch it down using a 3-step zig-zag.  Continue 3-step zig-zagging until you get to where you want the next triangle to be.....
Brenda.  My machines are: Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy, Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born in 1940. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitch.

Lowena

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2017, 20:25:51 PM »
Wot  Bren said for the tape  ;)

maliw

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2017, 21:09:10 PM »
Sad that the rotary pinking blade didn't work but thank you for saving me some money, I had thought about buying one but won't bother now. That bunting looks fine, don't forget, nobody will be examining it closely. You'll be sick of it by the time you've finished. Just how much do you have to make because that fabric will make lots and lots?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2017, 07:38:27 AM »
New Query....

Until now I had only glimpsed at the other fabric.
So the Court Jesters bunting was quite a heavy cotton...all good!

Now the rainbow fabric is a much thinner cotton...good again, especially as I'm now  resigned to turning the bleeding things

BUT ...

the blue flowered is a STRETCH COTTON SATEEN ....Will this behave for me ???

and will those two behave with the heavier cotton attached to them ??

Answers on a postcard post haste please as I plan to make a mercy dash to FL to get a couple more cottons or should I just raid the stash ??? mmmmnnnnnnn

Not my garden btw, my lovely neighbours and that lil cutie is Wren, the lil one I make a lot of stuff for!

maliw

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2017, 09:26:55 AM »
Try just one 'flag' and see what happens before you go raiding your stash/buying anything else. What you've done so far is great, just remember - it's bunting and after being used may just be screwed up in a bag!!!!!!
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2017, 10:01:41 AM »
the blue flowered is a STRETCH COTTON SATEEN ....Will this behave for me ???

Before you cut give the fabric a tug in both directions to decide which way is the least stretchy and then cut your strips in that direction.  That way the short side of the triangle will be in the most stable direction and should be OK.

Remember, this is only bunting, maybe it will only used once, maybe once a year, and no-one is going to get too close and personal with it - and if they do you know what they can do next year!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:46:38 AM by BrendaP »

Lowena

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »
I looked up scs and it seems to usually be 97% cotton and 3% elastane, so, if you don't stretch it as you sew it should be ok.

Iminei

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2017, 19:02:32 PM »
Well I have been bunting away today and made loads of the bloody stuff, but it still doesn't look anything like enough!
They said it would be great if I could make 10 or 20 yards ...Do you know how much that is ???!!!

This lot is much prettier...I really don't know what I was thinking with the Court jester stuff ... Pics tomorrow when Im done.

I'm almost done with it now, after having spent at least 20 minutes this afternoon, ironing wine out of a load that was caught in the tsunami of an overturned glass!

I have cleared away the sweatshop for the day and am now quietly seething away as I listen to my neighbours and their families and friends enjoying the subtropical weather in their gardens, whilst eating their dinners .....
as I look at my very sad half sandwich left over from lunch which constitutes my anniversary dinner and ruminate on the madness I succumbed to 11 years ago today.

Good job Imself is not coming home tonight

Lowena

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2017, 13:00:18 PM »
Did you ever finish the bunting? How was it received?