The Sewing Place

New sewing room

Diane

New sewing room
« on: May 28, 2017, 13:28:23 PM »
I'm so flipping excited, just acquired the spare room as hubby no longer uses it, it's only taken 5yrs to get it :)
It's in a mess at the moment and needs redecorating, not sure whether just to emulsion or repaper?
I have a horn cabinet and also a dressing table to put my overlocker on that I may paint white. Does white furniture look better? Just ordered some additional hanging storage for the small cupboard in the corner behind the door to put the fabric.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Acorn

Re: New sewing room
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 14:02:04 PM »
Ooh, exciting!

I've been rearranging my sewing room (also my study, where I work during the week, so with some restrictions) and it's like a new room.

Mine has white furniture at one end and some wooden at the other, and I think the white looks much better - you have a lot going on in a sewing room, and white lets other things take centre stage as well as making the room feel bigger.

Paint or paper?  Difficult one.  I have some lovely paper that is intended to go on one wall in my room, but I haven't got around to putting it up yet - and it has literally just occurred to me that yesterday, when the wall was completely exposed, would have been a very good time to do it... oh well...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 15:59:02 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Snowgoose

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 14:11:28 PM »
It's wonderful to have your very own room, isn't it?  :). I'm in a similar position of trying to clear out a 'junk' room!  I have some pretty wallpaper for one wall from eBay and need to get some emulsion for the others.

I think one wallpapered wall is always pretty, a nice light colour/pattern.  White furniture is lovely, too.  I find pine and dark furniture can be gloomy especially in the winter as the days are so short  :(

I'm hoping that freecycle may turn up a nice big mirror!  I want it to help bounce light around the room as it only has a tiny window.

Whatever you chose to do, have fun - it'll probably unleash your inner interior designer  :D. Anyone remember 'Changing Rooms' and Laurence Llewellyn Bowen's designs... :o

Lantana

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 15:45:57 PM »
Great stuff!! Glad you've at long last got your own sewing space! Enjoy sorting it out and deciding how to decorate it.

Thanks also for the reminder about fans ...this is going to make me sound really stupid, sat here really hot and looking at your photo thought ah a fan that would be nice ..... then remembered that I do in fact have one! Duh!

:vintage:

Diane

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 16:43:16 PM »
Hi ladies

I was going to paper the whole room but I think it would be too much, as you've suggested I'm going to paper the one wall and white emulsion the rest. Got some wallpaper off Amazon, down from £23 to £5 per roll.  There's a cupboard in the corner that has panels on the door and side, I might paper the panels to pick up on the wallpaper ><

I've got two weeks off soon so I'm going to rub down the dressing table and paint that white, the horn cabinet is beech but I can't paint that. Painting it all white like you say will lift it and make it brighter in there.
Laurence Llewelyn Bowen, Mmm don't think I'd let him loose on it, he's a bit wild with his designs and colour.
Definitely need a fan in this heat, my sewing room has a south facing window so plenty of light and usually a good breeze coming through.
Just had a sort round and moved the dressing table over to the other side of the room, need to get a radiator cover as I hate looking at pipes.
Also had a massive clothes sort out, three bin liners to go for recycling :|need to stop buying so much, I've kept about six pairs of jeans, going to cut these up and save some of the denim, will see if I can find something to make using them.
Thought about getting a wooden revolving spice rack to put all my buttons and bits in, looks good too.
Can feel a big spend coming up when I'm off, need a new chair on wheels as well, will need to sneak these bits in so hubby don't see :)
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 17:01:08 PM »
Lovely!  It's going to be a really nice place to be.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Snowgoose

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 17:14:22 PM »

Laurence Llewelyn Bowen, Mmm don't think I'd let him loose on it, he's a bit wild with his designs and colour.

I seem to remember he once framed a pair of lacy knickers belonging to the lady of the house, and hung them on the wall when he was turning her bedroom into a boudoir...  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o Changing Rooms was always something we watched, it was so good for a laugh!!!

Diane

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 17:23:20 PM »
I seem to remember he once framed a pair of lacy knickers belonging to the lady of the house, and hung them on the wall when he was turning her bedroom into a boudoir...  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o Changing Rooms was always something we watched, it was so good for a laugh!!!

Oh my god you are joking  :| must of missed that one.

Diane

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 17:24:14 PM »
Just thinking about the painting, would you go for a cream paint rather than white so that it blends with the beech horn cabinet?

Lantana

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 18:17:11 PM »
That wall paper is gorgeous ... what a bargain! I think cream would be just as good if not better than white. It will throw round the light just the same and still be a good backdrop for the stars of the show ... all the sewing projects.

Ah yes I miss Changing Rooms ... good for a laugh as you say Snowgoose .... I would have liked to see a follow up programme showing the owners undoing it all and what they really thought!

L :vintage:

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 19:40:50 PM »
Oh my god you are joking  :| must of missed that one.

I think that was the one where the occupants of the house went ballistic at what he had done!!!

TV Gold!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »
I love the pattern of the wallpaper Diane, but I'll keep quiet about the colour  ;)
I loved both Changing Rooms and Home Front. LLB had a holiday home down here when he lived in London. We saw him several times ( once carrying 4 bags of shopping from Tesco ) He always had a smile for everyone who recognised him  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Emma2109

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 10:30:11 AM »
I have to wait until my children move out again (daughter moved back home to go back to uni!) before I can get a sewing room...they are both in their second year at uni and both have threatened to do their masters straight after...I am trying to encourage them to move out, I will miss them when they go  :toast:

So, I sew at the kitchen table and have a lovely large cupboard for all my things....so envious of those of you with your own sewing space (envious in the nicest of ways  <3 )

Enjoy your decorating...and white is a lovely canvas xxxx

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »
I would go for cream Diane.  White walls can appear grey unless there is a lot of natural light coming into the room.  Cream walls often appear much lighter and brighter and go well with white woodwork (but not brilliant white, one of the softer whites).
Life's too short for ironing.

Lantana

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »
I love the pattern of the wallpaper Diane, but I'll keep quiet about the colour  ;)
I loved both Changing Rooms and Home Front. LLB had a holiday home down here when he lived in London. We saw him several times ( once carrying 4 bags of shopping from Tesco ) He always had a smile for everyone who recognised him  :)

Name dropper!! Well I saw Bob Flowerdew in our Morrison's and what is more I saw him sneaking non organic veg in his basket!! (Of course he may have been purchasing it for analysis or something) I let him know I'd seen him, I remember him from school he always was an odd bod, and we moaned about the lack of variety in Morrison's organic veg range. Didn't get a smile though that would be expecting too much after what I'd just caught him doing. So I'll concede that one to you.  :)

For any non-gardeners or non Brits reading this, BF is famed as an ambassador for organic gardening, writes books and appears on lots of TV and radio programmes about gardening. He has a one acre plot where he grows his own stuff and tries out new ideas.

:vintage: