The Sewing Place

Memory quilt

Diane

Memory quilt
« on: June 01, 2017, 20:06:39 PM »
Has anyone ever made a memory quilt? I thought it would be a great project to start, all made out of blocks to include significant things/moments throughout my life. Am I just being ridiculous?  ><
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Sakar

Re: Memory quilt
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 20:28:52 PM »
Hey diane,

No, I haven't made a memory quilt yet.
No, that's not ridiculous!!!!

I want to make a memory quilt and so we started to collect embroidered souvenir-shirts on our holidays.

A friend of mine (she will come to the FoQ this year) has made such a memory quilt with old T-shirts from her childhood and it's something very wonderful and special!!!!

So go ahead and just do it  :)

Diane

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 20:41:27 PM »
I like the idea :D I have some childhood memories and also I would never have met my husband of 25yrs if he hadn't of made that phonecall from a red phone box (long story). Just thought a quilt that could tell a story would be great.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 21:10:22 PM »
Great idea! People save scraps of clothing from memorable moments or stages of their lives an then incorporate them into a quilt. It's a fabulous idea.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 21:35:00 PM »
Yes yes yes!  Wonderful idea!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 21:36:39 PM »
Great idea!  Something I want to do using clothing that I have loved to death and bits that bring back the memories  <3  There is a Company that makes things like cushions and teddy bears from your precious clothes, but at a price  >:)

Go ahead do it!   :)  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

fajita

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 22:47:31 PM »
I made one for my friend. Very simple, just 3" squares of old baby garments. They were of mixed materials, so I fusibled all the backs first. They seemed happy with the result.
I've just had a look, but I can't see my photos of it, but am certain I do have some. If I find a picture I'll come back and update.

Diane

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 05:07:40 AM »
I don't have any clothes or anything from years ago to make it out of, just memories, places we've been and had fun etc also moments/things that remind me of my dad who died 12yrs ago etc I'm going to make a list of things so I can add to my quilt.

Sakar

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 05:42:08 AM »
you could make blocks of 12" size or so, and on this blocks you sew appliques from your memory. It would be great, I am sure about that.  :)

Lantana

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
And you also might want to consider printing photos onto fabric. Bear in mind some printers are a lot easier to use than others and the different types of ink have different properties depending on your ultimate use (wall hanging of bed quilt).

https://www.cjenkinscompany.com/Choosing_The_Right_Printer_s/21.htm

http://stonecreektextiles.co.uk/inkjet-printing-on-fabric

There are other ways of getting photos onto fabric putting in a search 'for 'how to get photos onto fabric'

I did have a go years ago but it was in the early days and it wasn't colour fast. Keep meaning to have another go but my damn printer is playing up and every time I research a new one and bearing in mind the above ... my head explodes  :devil:

L :vintage: