The Sewing Place

Summer dresses - share what you make/made

Manuela

Re: Summer dresses - share what you make/made
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2017, 14:30:45 PM »
Kad, that dress is beautiful  :loveit:
I'll start the next one on Saturday, it's all cut out already...

Catllar

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2017, 23:30:12 PM »
So I've just finished this, which is Love Notions  Rhapsody top. I hacked it into a dress and added an elasticated bloused waist and side seam pockets. The fabric is a gorgeous rayon challis I got from my favourite man in Spain. Just perfect for the summer heat - 33 here today, and I might have to make some more.

Why are my pictures from Dropbox always sideways - they don't start off like that, honest!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Manuela

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2017, 00:27:44 AM »
Great dress Catllar, I hear you on the heat. Here it is 36C with 90% humidity, going outside is like going into a sauna  :'(

Catllar

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2017, 12:54:36 PM »
It's the humidity that's the killer, isn't it? Today we're expected to pass 35 but there is a bit of a breeze so less humid. 0_0 Got a shindig in the village tonight - mussels cookout and bbq with music and dancing. Should be fun. Might wear this as won't show the splashes! On the other hand, won't do much to stop the midges biting after dark!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lowena

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2017, 13:12:51 PM »
Be careful what you wish for.....it's 15c, grey and wet here  :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Manuela

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2017, 13:51:59 PM »
Another dress finished, this must be my all-time favourite print. Again Vogue 9112's neckline and collar put onto my TNT pattern. I tried a different version of an asymmetrical hem, just slanted to one side here, and of course pocketses  ;)

BajaSusana

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2017, 14:33:49 PM »
Manuela!
That fabric is gorgeous, gorgeous, did I say gorgeous? :loveit:
Love the neckline and asymmetrical hem. I think I would die here in summer with that neckline, but I LOVE it! :loveit:

BajaSusana

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2017, 15:11:30 PM »
There was a luncheon that I was attending last Thursday.
I wanted a new dress. So on Tuesday, using the Bootstrap app I designed a dress, printed the pattern taped it and cut the fabric.
 I started sewing on Wednesday. Plenty of time. Well everything, everything that could go wrong did.
 I inserted and reinserted an invisible zipper THREE times. I gave up and inserted a standard zipper.
 I had a weird toothache, a growing earache, and a tingly feeling in my skin. By the time the zipper was finally done it was early evening. I knocked off.
My Beloved, after 35 years knows not to ask what is wrong, nor suggest that I stop. But he did understand that a glass of wine on the terrace would be perfect.
 I was woozy all night, but not in misery. I awoke with the idea that I would finish the dress in the morning. I walked in to see my sewing room. It looked like a bomb had exploded.
I wore something else. Came home and collapsed. I spent yesterday mainly sleeping.
 Here is the dress so far. The ready made applique is only pinned on. I am adding applique to the back waist as well.
So after I clean up my sewing room this afternoon  and have a swim I will rest up so that  I can  finish it tomorrow.
I am not 30 anymore. I cannot make a dress in a day. I have to keep reminding myself!

BajaSusana

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2017, 15:17:13 PM »
I finished the 'play with stripes' dress to wear with the Cheshire cat shoes tomorrow. Wednesdays we teach a 4 hour Wearable Art session, my favourite day at work  :D
Manuela, Love the play with stripes. You have me thinking...
I love stripes. Stripes mean beach and summer to me.
And I live at the beach where it is summer most of the year! Love your dress!

Manuela

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2017, 15:19:13 PM »
BajaSusana, I love the applique on your dress, it 's going to look gorgeous.
Sometimes we need to know when to stop sewing, sit down and have a glass of wine (preferably nicely chilled New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc)  ;)

BajaSusana

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2017, 15:19:36 PM »
Well Ploshy if he doesn't notice you in that he really is a tractor head ! It's a lovely dress and it really suits you! :)

L :vintage:
Ploshkin,
 A lovely summer dress. Nice lines, and accentuates your nice lines!

Vegegrow

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2017, 15:31:01 PM »
Manuela that's lovely  the fabric looks like silk?
Susana love the appliques its going to look so smart ( hope you are feeling better)
Catllar gorgeous  loose cool perfect for a summer evening  ( only very slightly jealous )
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 15:34:18 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Manuela

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2017, 00:47:18 AM »
Vegegrow, the fabric is an old Kenzo print (from some 15 years ago), a cotton twill with a little bit of Lycra. I bought LOTS of it  :devil: and used it alteady for a trench coat with removable sleeves and a duster. There are still about 1.5 yards left, probably for a dress after I've worn this to shreads.

datcat23

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2017, 03:52:34 AM »
It dreary and cold right now, but I am dreaming of summer dresses. I made this last year and plan on making more.
Shirt waist dress - modelled by Dani, on Flickr

It was a save from a Gertie disaster, using my singer plus work blouse front, back (to make a yoke), utilising the rest of the Gertie back, skirt and sleeves.  To me it proves that there is a dress style for everyone. You just need to find it.
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Manuela

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2017, 04:03:49 AM »
Yay datcat, good to see you here. I remember your struggle with that Gertie pattern, great save and the result is a beautiful dress that fits you well  :)