The Sewing Place

Summer dresses - share what you make/made

Manuela

Re: Summer dresses - share what you make/made
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2017, 13:00:06 PM »
Great outfit Emma, I wish I could get away with wearing something like that  :loveit:

Surest1tch

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2017, 20:56:48 PM »
Manuela that fabric is just awesome, don't you find high collars like that a bit warm for where you are though?

Surest1tch

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2017, 21:08:00 PM »
DC, I love your dress, well saved!

I was hoping to be able to put my latest make on here today.  Unfortunately, it's on another thread for all the wrong reasons!  A great big permanent marker mark on the overblouse - and yes, it will show massively.  :'(

Looking for suggestions to remove it....  :'(

Jessie

Someone used a permanent marker on a dry board where I used to work, I managed to get it off with alcohol wipes. I don't know what the fabric is but if you try it, either try in an inconspicuous place or a scrap of leftover fabric just in case it makes the colour bleed.

Manuela

« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2017, 15:31:05 PM »
Manuela that fabric is just awesome, don't you find high collars like that a bit warm for where you are though?
No, not at all. The collars are made without interfacing, hence soft. They are also fairly wide at 70cm, so they basically just loosely 'frame' my face. Having worn mostly sheath dresses for the last few, I got bored of them and plain necklines. Thus I now really indulge making those loose fitting styles with different hem and collar shapes.

I made one more  :devil: (some more are planned, I fell in love with the collar of Vogue 1515)
This one is again featuring Vogue 9112's collar and a hemline similar to the picture of the pattern envelope of afore mentioned pattern. It'll look fab with my Cheshire Cat shoes too  :D

Manuela

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2017, 15:44:03 PM »
I finally decided on the first garment to make from the denim lace, I bought quite a bit as I want to make a trench coat from it as well  :devil:
This time I used collar and neck gole of Vogue 1515 on my TNT pattern, I could have lengthened the Vogue top into a dress, but I'm happy with the fit I achieved with my pattern, so why change a winnig formula  ;)
I slanted the hem toward both side seams (a bit like the envelope picture of Vogue 9112) - I found quirky hem lines go well with flat shoes and sandals.

dolcevita

« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2017, 16:32:14 PM »
My word, that's fabulous, Manuela.  Glamorous but somehow slightly Goth as well.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2017, 18:37:33 PM »
You do have some amazing fabrics Manuela, I'm very envious.

Vegegrow

« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2017, 18:47:31 PM »
Manuela ... lovely again... do your work colleagues expect you to arrive in a new dress every week.. you can't save all these for a special occasion.. I'm envious of your chance to wear lovely things all the time  :(
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Tamnymore

« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2017, 19:02:20 PM »
Fab dresses and fab fabrics, Manuela.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Surest1tch

« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2017, 19:35:08 PM »
How do you manage to find such amazing fabrics?

Manuela

« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2017, 23:18:40 PM »
Thank you everybody  :D
My dresses are getting worn all the time, I work in the Textiles department in a secondary school - the perfect job for me, and the kids can see what possibilities are there once they mastered some basic skills. Many come after class to work on their own projects, and a number of girls want to make their own prom dresses next year.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:41:37 AM by Manuela »

Tamnymore

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2017, 07:16:18 AM »
Lucky kids, having you to teach them! It's good if they learn these skills now.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Manuela

« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
Surestitch  Living in Hong Kong, finding beautiful and reasonably priced fabric is really easy. I'm off to the fabric market with a pupil of mine on Tuesday....
When it comes to internet shopping, I love what Marcy Tilton and EmmaOneSock have to offer.

I finished another shirt dress, this time I incorporated the front placket into a pleat at the center front (a new thing for me), and really like that. I'll play around with stripes again next week, and do another version of that with pleat and seam.
I always wanted a gingham dress with a large (2"/5cm) check, so here it is  :D

Efemera

« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2017, 13:40:15 PM »
My SIL is in the USA at the moment..... I think a little parcel from Marcy might just find its way into her suitcase!

Manuela

« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2017, 14:15:36 PM »
My SIL is in the USA at the moment..... I think a little parcel from Marcy might just find its way into her suitcase!
Good thinking  :)
Luckily there is no such thing as VAT in Hong Kong, hence we don't get slapped with those extra charges when getting things from overseas.