Summer dresses - share what you make/made

Efemera

Re: Summer dresses - share what you make/made
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2017, 17:49:56 PM »
Latest summer dress.. Ottobre 2014

Catllar

« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2017, 17:54:49 PM »
That's nice Ef. I see a black theme here!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2017, 09:19:59 AM »
I bought some black last week, thought it would be good for trousers, but it's far too lightweight (it was double on the roll).  Wonder if a shirtdress is the answer?  I still haven't done the Bernina Shirtdress that's been threatened.

I'm so envious of all your lovely frocks.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vegegrow

« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2017, 21:13:06 PM »
A quick first make from one the jersey's I bought in Birmingham.....   this ones from Barry's it was £1 a metre chopped up a Debenhams Mantaray top for the pattern which was a very useful comfortable top that faded really badly   lengthened it a bit and this was the result.. not bad for £2 .. well I'm pleased 0_0
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Manuela

« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2017, 01:42:43 AM »
Vegegrow, I love the colour  :loveit:

b15erk

« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2017, 08:43:28 AM »
Veg, that's lovely!  Just shows, you don't have to spend a fortune on fabric.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2017, 16:28:44 PM »
This was actually supposed to be a toile, but it quickly became clear that a) The 'proper' fabric would look terrible in this style and b) It was working - so I got the embroidery machine out! 

It was very difficult to photograph so that the embroidery at the hem could be seen - it has a shirt-shaped hem, with embroidered inserts at the sides - so it isn't hanging as well as it could.  It has better lines than the photograph shows!

It is a Lekala shirt pattern, lengthened (but only by a small amount!!) to take it below the knee, and with pockets added.  There was also supposed to be something else going on at the shoulders, but the instructions were weird, and I decided not to mess around as I already liked the way they looked.  I had to take the bust and waist in by a good 8 inches and the hips in by 4, and it is still very loose indeed.  I like a lot of ease, but I'm not keen on wearing a sack.

The second photo is a close up of one of the pockets.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 19:09:17 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Missie

« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2017, 23:57:11 PM »
Well my honig design garden party dress is finished:

I don't love it, but it is wearable.  It needs a bit of tweaking, but I'll wear it.......if summer ever appears again!

Scuse the rather ferocious face again.  I need to stop scowling at Little Miss or stop throwing the camera at her as we rush out the door!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 13:48:39 PM by Missie »

elisep

« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »
I really like that dress, Missie. Off to search for that pattern now! I'm in the opposite hemisphere so it's winter now... but I'm already starting to think about my summer wardrobe!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Missie

« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2017, 13:56:26 PM »
I really like that dress, Missie. Off to search for that pattern now! I'm in the opposite hemisphere so it's winter now... but I'm already starting to think about my summer wardrobe!

Thank you Elise.  It's actually an all year round dress.  The pattern comes with sleeves (long and short) but I decided to go sleeveless.  I'm hoping to tweak it so that I can make a couple of winter dresses.

Catllar

« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2017, 21:25:20 PM »
Looks good! What's bothering you about it?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Missie

« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »
Looks good! What's bothering you about it?

Hmm, the fabric for one.  It's quite a departure from my normal thing.  I don't normally wear pattern (in fact, I don't often wear dresses but I'm trying to change that!) but  I loved it when I saw it and thought it would make a great dress.
 However, once made up, I wasn't sure.

I don't like the fit under my bust, it's too baggy, but I now think I know how to fix it and I need to redo the armhole, they are quite tight and mildly uncomfortable, which they weren't on the toile but that was very soft cotton and this is a bit more sturdy.  As I said, I don't love it, although love the pattern and am wanting to tweak it to make a couple of winter dresses, but I will wear it.

wrenkins

« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2017, 08:57:43 AM »
I don't know you so I don't know your "normal" thing. When I looked at it I thought "I wish I could wear dresses like that". It's a lovely neckline and very neat armholes (you say uncomfortably neat but maybe you could fix that). The pattern isn't outrageous and I think it looks great.
Well done and good photo skills little miss.
I sooooooooooooo want to be able to dressmake.  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2017, 10:55:04 AM »
I sooooooooooooo want to be able to dressmake.  :(

Go on, you know you can.  If you can use a sewing machine you can dressmake.  Just start with something basic, without too much fitting, that you know will suit you, use a nice, stable fabric and don't be too ambitious.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2017, 11:10:32 AM »
Go for it Wrenkins!  If we can, you  can.

Something like this is really easy.  The pattern can be customised to your measurements, so no grading; it's woven, so no stretchy jersey to deal with; the sleeves are dolman, so no setting in.  The cuffs on the sleeves look really good but are  sooo easy.

The instructions may not be clear enough, but there are plenty of people here who will talk you through every stage.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.