The Sewing Place

Summer dresses - share what you make/made

Catllar

Re: Summer dresses - share what you make/made
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2017, 13:30:27 PM »
Hmm, the fabric for one.  It's quite a departure from my normal thing.  I don't normally wear pattern (in fact, I don't often wear dresses but I'm trying to change that!) but  I loved it when I saw it and thought it would make a great dress.
 However, once made up, I wasn't sure.

It's  a big leap to dress AND pattern fabric but you wear them both well. I agree it looks a bit snug under the arm but you know what to do  to fix the next version. It's amazing how a different fabric can completely change the feel of a garment isn't it?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BajaSusana

« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2017, 18:09:00 PM »
Catllar! I love your classic black summer dress. I have a pattern  like that is on  my list of  "someday I'll make that!"

Manuela! Stop it, I am so jealous, I love the shoes and the fabric. LOVE the outfit.

BajaSusana

« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2017, 18:18:20 PM »
Here is my rayon batik looking summer dress. And Ms Congeniality a/k/a Utta Retch. I have figured out the "underpinnings.
 If you look closely you can see the covered bra strap at my neck.
This is another entry into the PR stash contest.

So here is the bra with the strap covered.

And here are my sandals. and Earrings. My daughter gave me the earrings for Christmas years ago. And then I found these sandals. The  white bead has faded from coral. Actually the sandals are about to be recycled. But they  go so well with these earrings and this dress!

wrenkins

« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2017, 22:12:54 PM »
You see my thinking was...jersey/stretchy/easier cos if it doesn't fit you can still squeeze yourself in. No? I have a couple of (I think) very simple top patterns and fabric ready to go. I just need to brace myself.
Buck up sissypants!!!  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2017, 22:36:00 PM »
Yeah, c'mon, get to it!!   :P

I don't find jersey any harder than woven unless it's very slinky or stretchy, but a lot of people are scared of it.  The secret is to sew with it before anyone tells you it's a problem, but I might have spoiled that...  -<

As you say, jersey is more forgiving to wear, and it doesn't usually fray, so if you don't want to neaten your seams you don't have to.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

« Reply #170 on: July 27, 2017, 00:01:04 AM »
BajaSusana, what an absolutely brilliant idea, I love how you covered the bra straps  :loveit:
Goergeous looking dress as well...

Manuela

« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2017, 00:49:55 AM »
My latest dress is aperforeted denim (or denim eyelet) dress. I went with my usual TNT pattern, shaped the hem and addede a cowl. The cowl is cut on the bias, so the collar can be worn 2 ways.

Ploshkin

« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2017, 12:48:30 PM »
I like that holey denim.  Manuela, you must have made more dresses since coming on this forum than I've made in my entire life - and I started at the age of 8 !
Life's too short for ironing.

Manuela

« Reply #173 on: July 31, 2017, 13:59:24 PM »
Dresses are what I wear, especially in Hong Kong's hot and humid summer. I was also in for a change of style, combine that with the fact that I have time, thanks to the school holiday  :devil:
I'll be alot less productive when school statrs again, and I'll start with my year back at university in mid September. I'd better make the most of this holiday  :)

fajita

« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2017, 09:42:17 AM »
http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=93

Half a day. So easy. 3 metres of fabric. Vogue 1410.

tumblina

« Reply #175 on: August 03, 2017, 13:29:37 PM »
I really like that Fajita!

Manuela

« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2017, 23:42:49 PM »
I made another dress inspired by Chanel's latest resort collection  :)

fajita

« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2017, 00:45:03 AM »
I love that green fabric. You've made another lovely dress.

Surest1tch

« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2017, 20:14:52 PM »
You make some fabulous stuff Manuela

BrendaP

« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2017, 23:03:07 PM »
You see my thinking was...jersey/stretchy/easier cos if it doesn't fit you can still squeeze yourself in. No? I have a couple of (I think) very simple top patterns and fabric ready to go. I just need to brace myself.
Buck up sissypants!!!  :o

I used to shy away from anything stretchy before I got a decent overlocker, but with one t's a breeze! 0_0

The overlocker sews the seam and neatens the edges in one pass, but also a lot of patterns designed for stretch fabrics are pretty simple with minimum amount of shaping, often no darts, and rely on the stretch factor for fitting.

I made Vogue 9199 with princess seams yesterday.  It took longer to cut out than to sew it together!   
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.