The Sewing Place

Summer dresses - share what you make/made

wrenkins

Re: Summer dresses - share what you make/made
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2017, 09:21:06 AM »
minimum amount of shaping, often no darts
That's what I'd thought. I also went for batwingy style sleeves and a cowl neckline. My bust is ridiculous!  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Catllar

« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2017, 15:32:10 PM »
Here is my rayon batik looking summer dress.

Love what you've done with that outfit, but just noticed your lovely metal palm tree!  If my metal Big Bird disappears I'll know where to find him! Kicking back under a palm tree in Mexico!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BajaSusana

« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2017, 15:25:04 PM »
Love what you've done with that outfit, but just noticed your lovely metal palm tree!  If my metal Big Bird disappears I'll know where to find him! Kicking back under a palm tree in Mexico!

This palm tree has been a lamp. It caught fire one night as a result of bad wiring. It has been in my bedroom. While we were building our present home, we rented a tiny place, and this guy was our Christmas tree.
Bugs hide in it, and birds hunt them. What a noisy bunch!
 Big Bird eh? I am sure my doggies would be interested in that!

Manuela

« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2017, 23:13:28 PM »
I made another dress using denim lave (let's just say I bought a lotof it  ;) ), the pattern is Vogue 1469.
Given that the fabric has less drape than the boucles, and the fact that I have very straight shoulders, I made a muslin and had to pinch out a shoulder dart at the neck hole. I pivoted the amount out, and now the V-neck sits nice and flat.

Efemera

« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2017, 09:03:03 AM »
Not made but altered.....what to do when you're pear shaped? buy two dresses, one a size 16 and the other a 22 and join them together. The dress had a waist seam which was easy to unpick, I just rejoined the 16 top to the 22 bottom using the existing clear elastic.
It's from Asda... cheap and cheerful.

Acorn

« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
What a brilliant idea Efemera - simple but brilliant!  I will be looking out for such possibilities in the sales.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #186 on: August 13, 2017, 16:55:14 PM »
Brilliant idea - you just need to find someone who's a 22 on top and a 16 bottom!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

tumblina

« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2017, 20:34:01 PM »
I finally have some finished projects!

The first is inspired by the Charlie Caftan - I knew I'd never get the pattern shipped and made up before the weather turned, so I hacked BurdaStyle 05/2010 #103 "Ruched Dress" that I already owned to look similar. The Burda pattern has a waist seam which I left, because it was easier ;) and I just hand appliqued the front band on. The pattern also had the bias binding (which I swapped out knit binding for) flipped to the inside, but I liked how it looked so I left it out!

The second (McCall's 7092) is at least an 85% failure of fabric choice (I used cotton interlock with no spandex, and it was way too thick for the bodice) and perhaps a little on pattern design (the underlay and upper are both doubled to not have to finish the neck edges + pleating... I was massively impressed when my little Brother 1134D, with a little help pre-trimming the seam, managed to chew through all that!). I like how it looks on the pattern envelope, but if I try it again it's going to be with thinner fabric with more recovery, and I'm going to do single layers only!!! DH and I agreed this is getting relegated to nightgown status.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 23:41:58 PM by tumblina »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2017, 21:21:55 PM »
Brilliant idea - you just need to find someone who's a 22 on top and a 16 bottom!
Close, so close. Could you make it front and back instead of top and bottom?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Manuela

« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2017, 23:02:09 PM »
Tumblina, I love the neck line with the inserts of your second dress, too bad about the fabric, but at least you got a freat night gown this way.

I made another cocoon dress (Vouge 1469), this time in a double gauze cotton from Nani Iro. Perfect for the heat and humidity here.

fajita

« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2017, 00:13:11 AM »
Lovely fabric. Lovely dress.

Lowena

« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »
Very nice Tumbli  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2017, 20:48:26 PM »
They are really nice Tumblina, I can't help wondering if the second one may be a bit warm for a nightie though.  I know it's creating work for you but do you think if you swapped the skirt parts over you may feel better about them?

Manuela you make me so jealous with the lovely fabrics you get hold of  :'(

Catllar

« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2017, 22:07:52 PM »
Tumblina, I love the neck line with the inserts of your second dress, too bad about the fabric, but at least you got a freat night gown this way.

I made another cocoon dress (Vouge 1469), this time in a double gauze cotton from Nani Iro. Perfect for the heat and humidity here.

I love the Nano Iro double gauze fabrics - so easy to work with too.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Francesca

« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »

I think I have a friend who is!  0_0 I think she wears a 32J cup.