The Sewing Place

Summer dresses - share what you make/made

BrendaP

Re: Summer dresses - share what you make/made
« Reply #195 on: August 25, 2017, 17:16:30 PM »
I have made McCalls 6438 - the pattern I bought from Efemera a few weeks ago - with a few modifications to the sleeves (and my usual lowering of the bust dart).

Pattern called for 1/2" shoulder pads so I sloped the shoulders down 1/2" and lowered the sleeve caps by 1/2" and the pattern pieces looked much better!  But made up there was still a wadge of excess fabric in the sleeve head so I just folded it out to make a properly fitting sleeve.

Other than that it's more or less as per pattern, except that with just the recommended two buttons the front gaped so I added another button and buttonhole between them.  Looks odd in the photo but the buttons are in a straight line!  Also I made a sash belt but didn't like it so bought one.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #196 on: August 25, 2017, 20:02:10 PM »
Lovely Brenda. I love the fabric and I particularly love that style of dress. Nice wee detail on the sleevies too.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Manuela

« Reply #197 on: August 26, 2017, 02:19:30 AM »
Beautiful dress, love the colours on you.

Manuela

« Reply #198 on: September 01, 2017, 00:45:04 AM »
And now for something completely different. A few months ago StyleArc had their Cher Knit Dress as their freebe for the month when you ordered 3 patterns. I didn't look at it twice when it arrived.
So a few days ago I opened my 'don't know what to do with it' fabric drawer, and decided to make the aforementioned dress.
Cocoon shape, cowl neck, optional sleeves, bright pink flowers.... what's not to like  :D
It goes together quickly, so there will be a few solid colour versions...

Stitches

« Reply #199 on: September 01, 2017, 06:50:41 AM »
 A princess seam going into the shoulder made from my Sure fit dress kit I have a funeral to go to this pm
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:52:42 AM by Stitches »

Fabric Lover

« Reply #200 on: September 01, 2017, 18:01:46 PM »
I made Vogue 1250 some weeks ago, only just got round to taking photos. I used a yellow pointe knit that I got from Fabricland, really pleased with the way it handled. Don't ask me why it kook me so long to make it up, but it's so easy, I think there will be more! 
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

toileandtrouble

« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2017, 20:24:09 PM »
Very flattering. You sold it to me! 
Found a reference on the net and it is for all figure types and said to be quicker to sew than cut out, and unfortunately, out of print.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Sewbee

« Reply #202 on: September 03, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »
I finished another dress, again with a large collar - I only realised lately how much I like collars with some drama...

This dress is just gorgeous, Manuela. I adore the material pattern, too.

I would LOVE to wear dresses again. I am 65 and havent worn them for about ten years at which time I began to gain weight and lost my waist. I am more or less "straight down", perhaps a rectangle. From the side I have a big bust and a tummy. (Not so heavy at the top but busty). Thankfully, I am 5 ft 8 in tall. I have resorted to wearing trousers or jeans! I love to wear nice things and now that I am getting a new sewing machine I am rethinking the clothes I have and what to make.

I am not good at selecting patterns that flatter my present figure. I had a lovely figure and along with being tall could wear just about anything years ago. :(

I also have sloping shoulders and don't look good with raglan seams. I didn't have this problem years ago when I was slimmer.

Would be grateful for pattern suggestions or any other comments or suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:56:40 PM by Sewbee »
  • Kad likes this

Kad

« Reply #203 on: September 03, 2017, 13:19:26 PM »
Sewbee, some of the big 4 pattern companies, Vogue certainly, show symbols in their pattern books indicating which figure types are best suited to each design. I'm sure that the system isn't foolproof as us taller sewists, (I'm 5'11"), can often suit a design that others of similar size, but fewer inches,  wouldn't. Might be enough to give you confidence to choose though. Good luck!
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Sewbee

« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2017, 14:50:03 PM »
Sewbee, some of the big 4 pattern companies, Vogue certainly, show symbols in their pattern books indicating which figure types are best suited to each design. I'm sure that the system isn't foolproof as us taller sewists, (I'm 5'11"), can often suit a design that others of similar size, but fewer inches,  wouldn't. Might be enough to give you confidence to choose though. Good luck!

Thank you. I didn't know that. I will have a look.

Manuela

« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2017, 14:52:03 PM »
Sewbee, I am 5'8" as well....
Try loose fitting shirt dresses with shirt tail hems (if you want to show some leg), semi-fitted shift dresses and cocoon dresses. As Kad said, the big 4 usually have little symbols on their epattern envelopes, recommending the pattern for certain body shapes.

Fabric Lover, what a beautiful dress, it looks lovely on you.

Sewbee

« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2017, 15:52:35 PM »

Thanks, Manuela.

You posted the link below earlier on and oddly enough I took a fancy to the shirt dress under the heading "flat Oxfords with dresses". I might just try to find a pattern like that because it drags the eye vertically.

https://youlookfab.com/2014/08/13/how-to-wear-dresses-with-flat-footwear/

Maybe CLD or Style Arc has a similar design.

Sewbee

« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2017, 16:03:35 PM »
I just found this at Style Arc

Manuela

« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2017, 16:13:34 PM »
Have a look at the Blaire Dress pattern too   :)

Sewbee

« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2017, 17:00:44 PM »
That IS nice, Manuela. I will add that to my shopping cart. I just have to write to Style Arc to find out what sizes to buy for top and bottom.