The Sewing Place

Summer dresses - share what you make/made

Fabric Lover

Re: Summer dresses - share what you make/made
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2017, 21:18:22 PM »
Sewbee, I am 5'8" as well....
Fabric Lover, what a beautiful dress, it looks lovely on you.
Thank you so much Manuela.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2017, 16:59:51 PM »
So, it's September, and now I decide to make a dress - or two, or they may just be tunic tops...
Vogue 9112 has been teasing me for a while, so much so that I've bought some material today.  It doesn't call for stretch, but I can't bear struggling in and out of clothes, so I got some white stretchy seersucker  - and some stretch denim with a diamond pattern - and some (expensive!) cottony stretchy gorgeous blue Gutterman fabric - and some black and khaki jersey.  I may have over-shopped...

Acorn

« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2017, 17:43:16 PM »
I have that diamond patterned denim!  It's lovely stuff - mine turned into a skirt.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #213 on: September 06, 2017, 18:20:30 PM »
I have that diamond patterned denim!  It's lovely stuff - mine turned into a skirt.
Does it soften up a bit?  It's quite stiff.

Acorn

« Reply #214 on: September 06, 2017, 19:24:00 PM »
I haven't washed it since I made it, and I can't remember whether I washed it before making it.  I wouldn't call it stiff exactly, but it definitely isn't drapey.  It would be nice for a dress, but it would have to be fairly fitted.

PS  I'd have bought more if there had been any left when I went back.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2017, 14:07:31 PM »
Vogue 9112 is going reasonably well, I thought there were a lot of pattern pieces when I was cutting them out, I think I had duplicates of three pieces!
I've had to take in around two inches either side below the armholes as it was huge.  I'm not keen on the neck hole being quite so wide either.  I've ordered another (half-price!) pattern to cut a size smaller for the next one, and I will also make the neck narrower.  I'd also like to shorten it, so it's more wearable over jeans/trousers, but with all those panels, I'll have to have a good think about where to do that.  This fabric is a lovely seersucker that only cost a total of £10, but it's white and sleeveless, so I'm not sure how I will wear it now it's (almost) autumn.  I may also have to find a slip to wear under it, being white, but my thoughts are tending more to a white t-shirt and denim leggings/jeggings (both on order!)  I still need to do the hem, arm holes and maybe re-shape them a little, and of course press it. 
All in all though, I love it!  I didn't before I took it in though!

Manuela

« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2017, 15:41:40 PM »
Bodgeitandscarper, interesting how different our preferences are - neckhole and collar were the only things I liked about Vogue 9112. I muslined the pattern, and it looked like a sad sack on me. I ended up using neckhole shape and collar with my TNT dress pattern  :)
I like the dress in you, hated it on me.

Summer is still going strong in Hong Kong (and usually lasts wel into October), so I made another floral dress... with a slanted hem and 2-way collar.
The fabric is a cotton sateen I found at the local Hawker's Bazaar in Hong Kong's fabric heaven called Sham Shui Po.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2017, 17:20:44 PM »
The finished dress - I'm hoping making a smaller size will make the armholes sit better as well.  They are not in the right place really (almost off my shoulders), but it's wearable  - and I do like it, but have no idea when I could wear it!

Edit: Just wanted to point out I am wearing dark shorts underneath it, not huge knickers  :S 0_0
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 18:02:44 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Acorn

« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2017, 17:45:44 PM »
I like that Bodge - it's crying out for a long hot summer day though...

Seersucker is a great material (other than the 1970's tablecloth version).