The Sewing Place

Monday May 29th

DementedFairy

Re: Monday May 29th
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 12:30:16 PM »

Slept badly. I don't know if I've got arthritic hips or something but I'm in pain some nights if I sleep on my sides, but I've never been comfortable sleeping flat on my back....last night was one of those nights, as was the night before.

Sandra.
xxx

Sounds possible.  The best fix that I used [pre ops] was to have a thin pillow or cushion that I could put between my knees when lying on my side [supports the top hip] and slip under my knees if lying on my back.  Somehow, that helps relax the pull on the wonky hip joints.  As my other hip deteriorates, I am starting to need this again.  In a fix, a rolled towel also works
C'est moi!

Sewingsue

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »
Went into town, mainly to buy write and post a couple of cards.
Still dry here, but a definite drop in temperature.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Efemera

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »
Sounds possible.  The best fix that I used [pre ops] was to have a thin pillow or cushion that I could put between my knees when lying on my side [supports the top hip] and slip under my knees if lying on my back.  Somehow, that helps relax the pull on the wonky hip joints.  As my other hip deteriorates, I am starting to need this again.  In a fix, a rolled towel also works

Gordon Bennet I thought it was only me.... the pain is right down from hip to ankle and only really when sleeping on my side..I'm sick of it waking me up.its been going on for about 6 months..
What op did you have DF

Sandra

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 13:51:10 PM »

Thanks for the tip. Funnily enough, while I was fidgeting around in the night, I'd thrown the duvet off and had sort of wedged a bit of it in my knees. I felt a bit more comfortable.

Sandra.
xxx

DementedFairy

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 14:33:12 PM »
I had the first one just before I turned 50 I think.  they tried for a hip resurfacing, rather than full replacement,  For that, they do the socket just the same, but they just reduce the upper surface of the thigh bone, drill in, and put a sort of bionic mushroom on the top and pop it all back together.
It went very well, and I was getting around fine...but then started to slip back.  Eventually got it Xrayed [at the one year signing-off check up] and it was at an angle, as the femur had crumbled a bit.  The bloody thing had apparently been rocking in and out of position for some time, which was why sometimes I was leaping about like a good 'un, and other times, going up stairs on all fours.
It could have broken at any time.
So I had to go back, get re-opened [the scar is noe huge] and they had to lever out the very well-mended socket [which broke some bone off, good job we have superglue] and do a standard hip replacement.
The other one is on its way out now, but I will be putting off the op for as long as humanly possible, as this job is too precarious to risk the time off and recovery period.

Fun!
C'est moi!

Pinkstar

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 14:49:53 PM »
Cold and wet here, typical bank holiday weather  :(

Off to look at beds again for DD this afternoon.  Might get a chance to make the alterations for my summer dress this afternoon.

SingingSinger

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 15:26:39 PM »
Wet bank holiday here too so I'm revisiting the dress I started for the stash buster challenge. I'd hit some bodice fitting issues so it has sat on my dressform unfinished ever since.  :frock: I think it was the "Amazing Fit" instructions that bamboozled me! Anyway, I took a step back, pondered, tweaked the bodice pieces  :pattern: and I think I'm back on track now.  :vintage:
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Owner of a Bernina 730 Record & a Singer 201K.

justpottering

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 16:55:17 PM »
my sister had similar problems with hip especially when sleeping - turned out to be bursitis.

I decided to go out rather than sew because I had a bit of a fuzzy head, which is not a good thing to have when attempting to alter a wedding dress - so that will be tackled tomorrow
I went to spend some time with my sister who lives 40 miles away - she works full time to getting together is a challenge, but as it is BH she was at home - had a lovely time nattering and putting the world to rights.
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 17:23:45 PM »
I have had 2 hip replacements. Before I had them the only way I could get rested was to have a tens machine on, all night. You can buy them in Boots
Triumph of hope over experience :D

shadykittykat

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 18:07:57 PM »
I have been for a run in the rain, it was very wet but very warm, though nicer than running in the heat.
This evening I am going to do the pub quiz, as in read out the questions rather than try and answer them. Hopefully there will be a good turnout and I won't have a wasted journey!
Kate
Running, sewing, eating.....
Wandering warily in warmest Worcestershire

DementedFairy

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2017, 18:49:25 PM »
Been to see the parents, and had a nice natter, plus several cuppas with whisky added, and two slices of cake.  Just wondering if I have enough mojo to go finish my damn 1910s skirt...
C'est moi!

twopence

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 19:33:06 PM »
We had a bbq and it started to rain just as we got it lit so we put the bench into the summerhouse and ate in there.  The rain was fairly light.

Then we went to the local garden centre for some plants.  I put some of them in and then it rained more heavily saving me  having to water them. 

Now about to handsew some hexies.

maliw

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 20:07:58 PM »

Now about to handsew some hexies.
Me too, I took some on holiday and it's become addictive. Are you doing a pattern, mine are just random?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 20:12:40 PM »
I have to ask, what's a hexi?

maliw

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 20:15:28 PM »
Hexagons, what you tend to think of as traditional English paper piecing.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula