The Sewing Place

Cavalry twill

Syrinx

Cavalry twill
« on: May 29, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »
Any ideas where I can find 32oz cavalry twill in navy or dark green? I'm failing to find it for sale by the m anywhere, and just get trousers and coats made of it for sale.

Need it to make a side saddle habit by the 9th July!

I'm not used to finding fabric for clothes, just quilts!

Efemera

Re: Cavalry twill
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 10:38:19 AM »

Syrinx

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 13:28:26 PM »
It's not heavy enough unfortunately, but it is cavalry twill by the m! So you've done better than I have so far. Needs to be 32oz (900-1000g) so that it sits right on the horse and doesn't flap around showing your legs off!

I thought actually making the jacket and apron skirt and tailoring it (never tailored anything before!) would be the hard bit, bud so far finding the pattern and fabric seems to be causing no end of problems.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 14:04:01 PM »
Can you not weight the edge of the skirt  using curtains weight chain or a cord? That's what I use to weight dance skirts - especially the long-train ones so they sit flat and don't flip over.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Syrinx

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 14:24:48 PM »
The apron skirt has to have weights in the hem anyway to ensure it stays level anyway o.O
The lighter fabrics really don't look great as they don't have quite the right hang. And you get judged on your outfit as well. Here's an example of a tweed habit made by Alexander James who are great (but £££s!) http://www.alexander-james.co.uk/products/9590/367/side-saddle-habits/ladies-side-saddle-habit.aspx they have the option of 18 or 32oz but everyone agrees that if you're starting with one habit, get a heavy one as it works all year round and always looks good. You'll sweat and melt in either at a competition so you might as well look amazing whilst you do!

I've taken the challenge (I've got to fit it over my riding corset) to make it. And I've found some calico for the toile as I thought it's cheap and takes pinning well. Unless that's a terrible idea. But this finding cavalry twill of the right weight is driving me mad!

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 14:51:44 PM »

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 16:19:17 PM »
Had a look on a Spanish site but doesn't have the weight.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Syrinx

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 16:38:05 PM »
I'm sure it's one of those fabrics that are easy to find as long as you know the place that does it. Until that point it's a menace!

I've got a friend who's a professional costumer who might know where to get some. It can't be that hard - there's loads of coats and heacy trousers about made up of cavalry twill at the right weight.

Any idea what sort of interfacing I'd need for the jacket? I've not done a jacket before and it will be tailored and snugly fitted over a riding corset (and shirt) so will need to be fairly sturdy I'd assume. I'd like to use the lightest weight I could get away with that will still work - is tropical weight canvas interfacing going to be too flimsy? Do you need the mohair stuff for up near the shoulders?

My pattern hasn't arrived yet, but it's a Suitability one so will be all American and confusing. I've heard a few horror stories about the apron skirt and the amount of pieces and darts it requires! Still I'll be able to mess around with the calico toile first and hopefully not wreck expensive wool!

Thank you all for looking, still not up to weight which is annoying as some nice looking fabrics - although I bet 100% merino wool cavalry twill is £££££££s!

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 19:13:13 PM »
This company sell it, but probably only made up
http://bespokemears.co.uk/hunt-fabrics/

These guys have it but not the colour- maybe they could point you elsewhere though?
https://www.moons.co.uk/apparel/ladieswear-heritage/cavalry-twill/

C'est moi!

Syrinx

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 19:26:42 PM »
Thank you, I'll ring them tomorrow and see what they say, but it looks like made up rather than by the m. Who knew fabric hunting could be so hard!

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 19:39:03 PM »
Thank you, I'll ring them tomorrow and see what they say, but it looks like made up rather than by the m. Who knew fabric hunting could be so hard!

When you're after something so specific, it is!  You may have to buy a different colour and dye it...
C'est moi!

Pinkstar

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 20:16:59 PM »
There's some cavalry twill here https://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/p/21379/coating-wools/mw/cavalry-twill
but it doesn't say what the weight is.

Addict

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 07:45:48 AM »
Syrina try Marton Mills Telephone 01132843364