The Sewing Place

The Clearance Plate (also known as the Hump Jumper)

DalronAU

The Clearance Plate (also known as the Hump Jumper)
« on: May 29, 2017, 22:53:13 PM »
This is right up there with my top favourite gadgets in the sewing room.  Check out the YouTubevideo from the 8.25 mark (or from the beginning, of course  :D ).  This, or something similar, does come with some machines.  The little hole you see in it is used to easily insert a new needle into your machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItyTDVA3xgg

Holly Berry

Re: The Clearance Plate (also known as the Hump Jumper)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 23:39:53 PM »
These come as standard with my Husqvarnas. I use them more for inserting the needle.

I've also used it under a walking foot on a particularly thick denim hem.
Procrastination get behind me

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 14:57:05 PM »
Oh dear, I'm going to be bankrupt at this rate, I've just bought one  :S they look really good and will save my nails holding the needle in place

maliw

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 15:08:20 PM »
Yep, I use a jean-a-ma-jig I've had one for years. If I'm sewing denim I also bash thick seams with a hammer - on the wrong side, makes it much easier to sew.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 16:59:24 PM »
For inserting needles, I use my dinky little needle threader gadget.  I don't have much call for shortening jeans, but may treat myself to a humpjumper or some such eventually.  Apparently a bit of folded beermat does the job as well...
C'est moi!

DalronAU

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 21:39:34 PM »
....  I don't have much call for shortening jeans, but may treat myself to a humpjumper or some such eventually.  ...

I use mine for top stitching shirt collars.  Without it my Janome 8900QCP SP and Juki F600 just can't do it without losts of fiddling and coaxing (one stitch at time by the handwheel).

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 00:25:14 AM »
On my modern machine there is a little button on the side of the foot, when pressed it raises the foot to the appropriate height, such as seams in jeans, it automatically drops back down afterwards :)
Willing but not always able :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 19:35:53 PM »
Mine came today, I've tried it on my industrial machine and don't like it for threading the needle, maybe it's me be because it's unfamiliar, back to finger tweezers on one hand and finger nail on the other! 
It may be better on a domestic machine but I haven't dragged those out yet to try and I've yet to try it with a shank button.

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 16:20:26 PM »
I've had a Pfaff machine for nearly 9 years, and only discovered what it was for sometime last year after I happened to come across a video when it was being used.  You live and learn.   
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 16:30:46 PM »
I've had a Pfaff machine for nearly 9 years, and only discovered what it was for sometime last year after I happened to come across a video when it was being used.  You live and learn.

I’m glad I’m not the only one!...I wondered what it was too.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 16:55:23 PM »
Brilliant Link, thank you @DalronAU ... I have had one of these with my accessories since I have had Ateliers and never had a clue what it was for ...  my manual  said it was for sewing on buttons with a shank or some such thing???  :S

I discovered its true purpose in Austria when @Sakar  finished the last seam of Decembers BOM for me, which has multiple thick layers ... Such a Simple yet Brilliant tool!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 17:12:25 PM »
That's what that's for??!!???  :o  Wow.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

annieeg

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 18:41:01 PM »
@Iminei
I've got an atelier 5 but can't identify this throat clearance plate.
Which foot is it?
Annieeg

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 20:12:47 PM »
My Mom's Viking came with one....back in 1977. We got 25 hours of classes with the machine and they let either of us take them. Maybe it was in class I learned to use it? But I've acquired a couple more over the years, all different sizes and thicknesses.

Off to see if any have the little hole to hold the needle....I don't remember that feature!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Fiona M

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 07:45:49 AM »
For inserting needles, I use my dinky little needle threader gadget.
I must have at least a dozen of these little blighters, but I can never find one when I need it!