The Sewing Place

Fabric Glee!!!!

Littleswadie

Fabric Glee!!!!
« on: May 31, 2017, 12:33:26 PM »
Occasionally, just very, very occasionally the gods of fabric smile upon us. Today, they're smiling on ME! Woohoo yippee! I can hardly believe my luck. Bought a sort-of monk's bench for the little bay in my study and was searching eBay for fabric for cushions. Thought I'd try my luck in the curtains first because sometimes you can buy a curtain in a funny size that no one wants and the fabric is just right and cheap. Lo - amidst the curtains is - drum roll please - 6.4 mts of Zoffany Pompadour starting at £50 and no bids! The monk's bench is being painted blue and the fabric is the blue/coral colourway - it's beyond perfect. It was due to end in an hour and at that point all hell broke out in the kitchen. Alice (kitty) had managed to knock a heavy cut glass fruit bowl onto the floor. The peaches had not had a good fall. The shards of glass had spread far and wide (never liked it anyway) and Alice was hiding, terrified, in an almost unreachable corner. Consoled Alice, mopped up the remains of peaches, spent forever tracking down every last shard of glass though I bet another will surface Thursday fortnight. Then, realised that it was all over. Done, finished, auction ended - gone. Heavy-hearted, I got dinner, watched a bit of telly, went to bed.

Next day, went to the computer and found that in the kerfuffle, I hadn't switched it off the night before and so it immediately popped onto my screen - it hadn't sold! Listed in the wrong section - should have been with fabrics. Ooooer.

Messaged the seller. Would she relist? Would she consider BIN? She would! PayPal raided the account that feeds my extravagances and I waited...

It's just arrived. Still on the roll in heat-sealed wrapping from the supplier and not seconds - a lot of the Zoffany on eBay is. You have to imagine me still in the doorway desperately trying to tear off the outer packing before admitting that scissors were needed! It's 100% linen, it's heavy, it's glorious, it's quality - it's orgasmic! Ohhh, cushions? Yes, but there's enough for roman blinds for the bay too - with a blue border I think. Haven't made those before, better do some reading - except books are still packed, never mind, Utube is my friend. Better get my feet back on the ground and if Alice thinks she's snuggling into those cushions...

Sorry for the length but I just had to tell. I should also add that the seller works for a charity and the fabric was a generous donation. In view of that, I made a donation of my own both because the seller was so lovely and because if the gods are smiling, a sacrifice and some serious homage are required.

May the gods of fabric smile on you all.

Ploshkin

Re: Fabric Glee!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 12:47:35 PM »
I hope we get to see a picture or we might just think you are delusional!  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »
sounds wonderful... I love a bargain.. Roman Blind making ...this is an excellent tut http://www.mydecozo.co.uk/content.php?41-How-to-make-Roman-Blinds-Roman-Shades-video-instructions-howto-style
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »
Well Done!!  Love a bargain me :)  (I've got a room full of 'bargains!) :)

Pics Please!!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Emma2109

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 14:26:16 PM »
I love a bargain and can't wait to see the fabric and finished products...enjoy xxxx

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 14:35:20 PM »
Bless you, I can feel your excitement from here

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 22:58:17 PM »
Sometimes all the planets fall into line - and bless you for the donation to the charity!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Littleswadie

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 23:52:41 PM »
Sorry, no pics at the moment - the means to them are still in one of the 30 or so unpacked boxes, along with toothbrush charger (replaced), scales (replaced), radio - that'll have to wait and worst of all that plastic tub that lives at the side of my machine and has all the essentials - 3 scissors, 2 rotary cutters, threads etc., etc. I can just slap the lid on it for a workshop or social sewing and I'm good to go. I did open a box a few days ago and there was a ham but further burrowing failed to produce any else sewingy. The trouble is, everything revolves around something else: daughter reassembled my 3 ikea liatorp bookcases a few days ago but they cover a complete wall of what will be my sewing room and cover both double points and computer connections. Got an electrician in yesterday but he can't do the work for a fortnight and then there will be plastering over the damage. The bookcases can't be secured to each other or the wall until it's done. Boxes are all marked 'books' but the removal men said that they were too heavy and a layer had to be skimmed off and filled with something lighter - resulting in a lot of panic and hotch-potch. Got another bookcase delivered this afternoon but that needs painting. Pics will be posted when camera etc., resurface.

I really wish I could because I'm so thrilled with this fabric and it's way too heavy to be an illusion! Thank you so much for the link - looks like another maths thing and lots of accuracy. I'll be studying it properly tomorrow. I really appreciate it, it looks good.

Pinkstar

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 10:29:18 AM »
Have you unpacked your camera yet?  <impatient>

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 11:40:10 AM »
I see you're in South Derbyshire, Littleswadie, does your username refer to the town you live in by any chance?  Just wondering, as, if so, it's where I lived for about 30 years.
And have you found that camera yet?  :P

Littleswadie

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 14:49:44 PM »
It does indeed Bodgeit! And, little because at 4'10" (+ a desperately-needed half!) can't be anything else. Very, very happy to be here. Grew up in Ilkeston, married a London boy and lived in Surrey for over 50 years but he's gone now and it wouldn't have done for me to stay in a big Victorian flat with 12' ceilings - couldn't even change my own light bulbs! Time to come home. I love the wonderful Derbyshire countryside, I love the town and the people and yes, I really love this very modern house! However, don't recommend moving at an advanced age if you haven't got some help around - everything takes so long.

Hope that you love your new area but you must miss the hills.

Now realise that the proposed sewing room/library will have to serve as a painting room for several furniture items that have had to be made in odd sizes: to avoid cat fur, I need to shut a door. So, sorry Pinkstar and Bodgeit unless I get a lucky dip I guess it will be another month before the camera emerges. Very frustrating because can't really play on the forum without it and mostly I lurk in the shadows. I was just so thrilled with the Zoffany, I couldn't resist. 

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 15:13:52 PM »
Ooh - if you two are referring to the town I think you are, I grew up in a nearby town (larger and across the river).   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Littleswadie

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 16:19:17 PM »
He, he! Where I go for an M & S fix! Short car journey but I love it especially the bridge over the river.

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 16:33:35 PM »
It has a very special place in my heart - although it's a long time since I was there.  It is a lovely bridge (as long as you're not stuck in traffic on it!)

I'm sure there was a fabric shop, but I expect it's long gone.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 22:10:22 PM »
Ooh - if you two are referring to the town I think you are, I grew up in a nearby town (larger and across the river).   0_0

I don't think we talk to those folk from across the watter...  :P