The Sewing Place

Bra again

Ploshkin

Bra again
« on: May 31, 2017, 12:37:15 PM »
After my largely successful bra toile I bought a kit from Sewing Chest and had another go with a couple of tweaks to get rid of some minor vertical wrinkles on the top half of the cups.  It just about worked though there is still a barely discernable wrinkle which I think I can lose next time round by shaving off a gnat's crotchet on the cup seam.  I'm still wearing the toile as it is so comfortable even though not well finished (I do take it off and I have washed it!).
I'm happy with this one, it is also very comfortable,  and they are so quick to make.  I did get to the end and find that I had one of the straps twisted so I cut the stitching across the strap where the slider is affixed and untwisted it and sewed it back up only to find I had it twisted in a completely different way!
The bits I have found hardest is not getting a lump at the front where the cups meet the centre of the cradle and the bit where the top of the cup goes through the ring - there's a lot of elastic and seams going on there and it makes quite a lump.
I think I could do with a finer needle or perhaps a ball point.  I used a stretch size 70 needle and I could hear it 'popping' through the elastic.
Not a great picture but here goes, I think this one is good enough for viewing.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

Re: Bra again
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 13:09:09 PM »
Well done Plosh!! 

I tried once, but I'm a wired girl, and it was an ordeal.  :(  I still have my box of goodies so may yet try again.  ;)

Is the next one on the machine yet?  :)

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 15:34:24 PM »
Oh I may just have a go, DD is having big problems since the birth of DGD, she always wore wired bras but now they leave her with bruises and she isn't an easy size to buy a bra. Another thing for the list.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 16:35:14 PM »
I am agog!!!!  :o
A GOG!
I can't believe the talent on this forum. You peeps are amazing. What a beautiful bra.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 17:46:50 PM »
That is so pretty - you are clever.   =8  0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 18:52:28 PM »
I'm back again.
I can't believe you made that!  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 21:35:19 PM »
That's looking pretty good.   :snip: :sew: =8
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 00:18:13 AM »
Wow that looks very professional, Well done!  :toast:
I have often wondered if I could make a bra but I like wired ones.
Willing but not always able :)

Jo

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »
But you can make wired bras :) And you can add foam cups (pre formed or made by you) or anything else you desire!
I just bought Beverly Johnson's class on bra making, and am looking to dive into making my very own!
I have implants and it's quite hard to find a bra that fits properly without digging in everywhere. Not that large of a cup (C), but small frame, and apparently either all the C cup small framed people went and bought all the bras, or the industry doesn't believe people with small frames can have a cup bigger than B.
Looking forward to giving it a try! :)
Ploshkin, I think your bra looks great! I do hope mine will too!
Btw, does anyone know if bra materials can be dyed at home? Not main fabric, because that can clearly be dyed, but powernet, foam etc.
I hate having to hunt for x pieces in the same colour, I'd rather just buy white and dye to my heart's content :D
Edited to add: Found a free bra pattern online, if anyone wants to give it a try :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:39:39 AM by Jo »

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 08:36:31 AM »
The link for the free pattern doesn't work, it should be:
https://afiatelier.com/allpatterns/maya-bra/#tab-id-5
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 09:33:14 AM »

Btw, does anyone know if bra materials can be dyed at home? Not main fabric, because that can clearly be dyed, but powernet, foam etc.
I hate having to hunt for x pieces in the same colour, I'd rather just buy white and dye to my heart's content :D

The problem with dyeing is that each type of fibre reacts differently; put the lace, powernet, tricot etc into the same dye bath and they might all come out different  :S .  Having said that, when I couldn't find a mint green fastener to match everything else I boiled up some onion skins (yellow dye) and dipped a pale blue fastener into it and the colour match is actually very good >:).

Jo

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »
Well, I guess I could try! What's the worst thing that could happen? I'm not expecting my first few bras to be all that amazing anyway, so it wouldn't be a problem if they were slightly different colored.

JeanHT

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 23:01:35 PM »
I love making bras.  I started with Beverley's class.  These two are both wired - the Marlborough bra.  I still need to tweak the pattern but they Both fit fine.

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 11:08:57 AM »
Having just had to splash out on new bras, I really need to get back on my plan to make them for myself! Too much sewing required for the summer though. Maybe it'll be my October plan.

My friend was very sad that two of her bras have begun to disintegrate after only a month and a half of wear. She threw them in the bin, but then I had the idea to take them in and see if I can remake, so she fished them out for me and washed them. I told her not to hold her breath and I've shoved them in the cupboard with all the bits. But maybe once I get a few bras under my belt I can pick hers apart and see if I can make it up again for her? Or, if only, use the underwires and the sliders.

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »
Having just had to splash out on new bras, I really need to get back on my plan to make them for myself! Too much sewing required for the summer though. Maybe it'll be my October plan.

My friend was very sad that two of her bras have begun to disintegrate after only a month and a half of wear. She threw them in the bin, but then I had the idea to take them in and see if I can remake, so she fished them out for me and washed them. I told her not to hold her breath and I've shoved them in the cupboard with all the bits. But maybe once I get a few bras under my belt I can pick hers apart and see if I can make it up again for her? Or, if only, use the underwires and the sliders.

If her bras are disintegrating after only a few weeks isn't her best plan to return them to where she bought them from.

Nobodies boobs should be that hard on a bra that it gives up the ghost after such a short time.

Good idea to salvage the findings though.