The Sewing Place

Which border???

rubywishes

Re: Which border???
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 21:03:38 PM »
Red (yes, I know you've decided). You have checked that ¾ inch finished will fit nicely with the sawtooth HSTs and get round the corners, before you cut it, haven't you? This is the voice of experience ...

huh???? Oh dear....do enlighten me before I start cutting DOB! :o :o  I thought I would just sew the strips/borders of red to the quilt top and then attach the strips of HSTs....no? Why does the width of the red come into it??
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 21:26:05 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Deafoldbat

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 09:48:11 AM »
What size are your border HSTs? How big is the top, before you add the red? You need to figure out how many border squares are needed and adjust the width of the red framer. That way you avoid having to trim the border HSTs down to fit (or make them an awkward size) and you can figure out how you are going to get round the corners.

See, for example, http://www.quilting-tidbits.com/pieced-border.html

I've only had a quick look at this, but the drift seems to be there. There may be other better/worse places to look, videos etc.

Don't cut until you're sure...

wrenkins

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »
If you add your red (say3/4") border it will increase the overall width by 1 1/2" and that'll knock your HSTs out of whack across the bottom. Am I correct DoB? Could it be simplified by putting bigger HST blocks in the corners? I cheated with mine and did a "strips" border down both sides and thenacross the bottom after I knew the final width.  :|
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

rubywishes

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »
Gads! and double gads!!!!  I was there, poised at the kitchen sink with a scourer and pot in hand when it suddenly came to me what you were saying DOB!  Unfortunately my HST's are all cut....leftovers from an over-enthusiastic afternoon and a bit too much caffeine......and I just don't have any "oomph" left in me to cut a whole stack of new ones, apart from the wastage as well. So, the HSTs measurement is what it is so I guess I have 2 options, (1) to just do as I originally planned and chop my HSTs wherever the end of the top is or use a solid coloured block in each corner which can be whatever size is necessary , or (2) find a border width that when added to the quilt on all sides will be divisible by my HST measurement so I can fit whole blocks on.  This will most likely mean an increase in my border width from 3/4" to maybe just under 2".  Dunno, will have a play tomorrow when I have good light in the loungeroom. I rather prefer the skinny border rather than a wider one. I think it looks more balanced.
Thanks for the brain smack DOB 0_0..appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:24:56 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 14:01:19 PM »
or use a solid coloured block in each corner which can be whatever size is necessary

Or maybe a QST ????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Deafoldbat

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 19:34:28 PM »
I was there, poised at the kitchen sink with a scourer and pot in hand when it suddenly came to me what you were saying

Well. at least it was a good use of the h****work time. You can do a lot of useful thinking while scrubbing pots etc.

If you're committed to the size of HSTs, but still like the thin framer (I agree it looks right), there's no reason why the HST border has to run all the way round.... You could go round 2 opposite corners, and (say) 2 thirds the way down the sides from there, then make a  plain border down the the 2 other corners, and perhaps put 3 stars going round them, if you see what I mean. Or something. Scrub some more pots and think it over!  ;)

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 19:49:07 PM »
You could go round 2 opposite corners,

Good Call DOB!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again