The Sewing Place

Advice or opinions please.

Surest1tch

Advice or opinions please.
« on: June 01, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »
I've got it into my head I now want a Singer 201 however the prices vary so much I just don't know what a fair price would be. Can anyone advise please?

b15erk

Re: Advice or opinions please.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:10:24 AM »
SS, prices vary so much that it's difficult to say.  There was a brown one posted on here from Gumtree, in a cabinet, lovely condition for £30,  too far for me or I would have jumped at it.

My first one cost me £30, but that included a free 99k as well!  The second one was a gift.

Check out your local charity shops, although they do have to PAT test the electric ones.

Ebay, can be a good source, but some people want ridiculous prices.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 12:18:35 PM »
Here they go for around £50 in reasonably condition (almost regardless of condition oddly enough, with or with out the accessory box). I payed about £65 for a 201 in a small table, and it was obvious it needed a few replacement parts and a good cleaning every where. It was in nice condition other wise. For a clean machine, complete with accessories, newly made stitch samples in place they often go for £100. Bargains turn up though, free hand me downs can even happen. Prices on used machines vary a lot. Obviously faulty machines will be set down to £25 by some, and if they don't sell quick enough prices tend to drop too. I spent some time and money to fix mine up and I have never regretted sorting it out. It's my favorite machine. When they turn up in very clean, nearly unused condition prices tend to be higher. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 18:16:10 PM by arrow »

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »
I was given a machine (some time back now), the owner said it didn't work and I was welcome to it.  I cleaned it up and got it running smoothly, but couldn't make a stitch.  It turned out that the needle was in the wrong way round.

Good luck for me! :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »
I view it much the same way as Jessie. Most issues by far are easily sorted on the old straight stitchers, all metal models in general. They are well worth a service done at a shop if you prefer, but (as mentioned) the straight stitchers usually clean up well almost regarless of condition. The only thing I did have some trouble with was finding a three pin electrical plug with flat pins, it turned out most have round. It's all about patience and search though, what ever you look for will turn up eventually. With a 201, I suspect Helen Howes has every single part available. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 13:30:41 PM by arrow »

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »
I think so too arrow, Helen is a gem for Vintage machine people.

Wish you lots of luck SS.

Jessie

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 17:51:13 PM »
I got a buttonholer from Helen this morning, can't remember if she said it's a Singer or a Kenmore. Whichever it is it's got loads of cams with it, I guess I'll find out when it arrives.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 19:27:06 PM »
It arrived this morning, this is it.  It needs a good clean and oiling, all I've got to do now is decide which machine to set it up on and start practising. It's got 20 plastic plates with it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 19:28:57 PM by Surest1tch »