The Sewing Place

Please Please can you recommend...

Iminei

Please Please can you recommend...
« on: June 02, 2017, 10:43:07 AM »
A tutorial or class on how to sew floppy fabrics (knit/jersey ?) for the completely uninitiated and totally terrified ????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Francesca

Re: Please Please can you recommend...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »
I don't have a specific tutorial but:

1. Gelatine. You can dip fabric in gelatine mixture and then let it dry and it dries stiff
2. Spray on starch, I use the Dylon stuff. It's pretty good. Spray it on, let the piece dry off a bit then iron it (no steam) when it's still hot
3. Use paper and sew with the paper in place. I've heard waxed paper is good but you have to pick it out of the seams

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:48:19 AM »
Alternatively there is a class available on Craftsy for sewing with sheers. While it's not the same as just slinky fabric, I bet there is a lot of info in there: https://www.craftsy.com/sewing/classes/the-essential-guide-to-sewing-with-sheers/35475

Iminei

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »
Ohh sorry I misread your post and thought you were sewing with silky stuff rather than jersey.

Jersey isn't generally that floppy, quite easy to manage.

You'll want a ballpoint needle and to do some testing to get your tension right.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 11:31:11 AM »
Slippery fabric is the work of the  :devil:

However, many beautiful fabrics have the slither element.  I tried gelatine, but I don't think I dissolved it enough and it was patchy, but I intend giving it another go.

Spray starch is very useful.  I haven't tried the Dylon, but Dr Beckman was well used recently.

Good luck!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

dolcevita

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »
Jersey is usually floppy rather than slippy, but not all that difficult to sew.  The main things to watch out for are:

- before cutting, check in case the knit is twisted.  This is not unusual in cheaper knits and there isn't much you can do about it other than be aware. 
- when cutting and when sewing, be careful not to stretch areas that would be the equivalent of on the bias in a woven - the effects are much worse.  If you've cut a curve, handle really gently and stabilise as soon as you can. 
- skipped stitches.  You can sew jersey on a normal sewing machine just fine, but make sure you have the right needle in as this can exacerbate the skipped stitches problem.
- curly edges.  A lot of single jerseys curl at the edges - spray starch can help this, but it can also be a nice decorative effect.

Jo

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 11:53:25 AM »
Do you have a specific jersey type in mind? If not, may I sugest you try a stable knit (like scuba or ponte)? It's a lot easier to work with and will take some of the scare out of sewing jersey :)

Zigzag

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
I have been happy with overlocking jersey by holding it gently up at the foot stitching area so it didn't pull out of shape.  The same technique at the sewing machine stitching very slowly didn't stretch the fabric.

Manuela

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »
There was a sew-along on Pattern Review - sewing knits for beginners, with all kind of problems covered. Here is the link:
https://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/topic/52152

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 13:06:27 PM »
Do you have a specific jersey type in mind? If not, may I suggest you try a stable knit (like scuba or ponte)

English please, speak in English!

Kittensposies

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 14:06:20 PM »
I was terrified of jersey too, so got a few samples of fabrics from the market and just sewed straight lines up and down and up and down for a good few days.  Then did corners.  Then sewed the samples together... baby steps.

Actually it was not too scary (definitely get ballpoint needles though!  I also use a walking foot for slippery jersey) and it was a huge confidence builder! 

May have helped that I usually had a :gin: sat next to me for the scary bits.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 14:27:15 PM »
My mind is already turning to thoughts of :toast: after the most basic quandary

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,1297.0.html

Surely it must be wine o'clock somewhere in the world???

Jo

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 14:45:49 PM »
Iminei, just search for scuba/ ponte on minervacrafts.com for example (I'd post specific links but I'm on the phone and it's a tad harder). They have a good few options.
Both scuba and ponte are a thicker, more stable type of jersey. They are easier to sew (I didn't have any trouble with wavy seams) than the single jersey type, but aren't very stretchy.
Edited to add links:
So, got to the computer sooner than expected :)
Here are some scuba fabrics: https://www.minervacrafts.com/search?q=scuba
and here some ponte: https://www.minervacrafts.com/search?q=ponte
Ponte is more prone to pilling (not all of them, but some are). They are not all the same, they vary in weight and stretch, so it's very useful to buy samples :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 14:54:08 PM by Jo »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 15:08:50 PM »
I used to hate sewing jersey until I got an overlocker, now I just whizz down the seams  0_0

Um, did that help, Iminei? -<