The Sewing Place

Off to Fabworks

Ellabella

Off to Fabworks
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »
Next Thursday DD and I are on a long awaited trip to Dewsbury to visit Fabworks :) :P :* :loveit:

Is there anywhere else nearby that we should try to fit in if we have time.

Our main objectives are knits and some nice drapy wovens.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Tamnymore

Re: Off to Fabworks
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
Ooh lucky you. That's me outside with my nose pressed up against the Fabworks window. I believe that Lucky Fashions (or is it Lucky Fabrics?) is only open on Weds and Sats but it is worth checking as that may have changed. There's also the Pound a Yard shop in the centre of Dewsbury. Despite its name I don't find it very exciting but you may find a bargain in there. There's a habby/wool shop nearby too. Cloggs is nice for coffee and a bun.

I take it you aren't stopping off in Leeds but if you are there's B&M in the market and also just outside the market in a shop and Samuel Taylor's also in the centre.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Swisslass

Re: Off to Fabworks
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 13:10:45 PM »
I was in there at Easter and it just gets better and better. I also second Lucky Fabrics/Fashions, a lovely lady! I went in there first and bought loads  ;) - well worth a visit but she is cash only, she has some really nice stuff, I found some lovely linen there for £5/m. I'm pretty sure she is still Weds and Sat, she tried to encourage me to start a branch over here!
I had lunch at a cafe on Foundry Street (I think the cafe was called Lunch) run by two Polish ladies and it was excellent.
I thought the Pound A Yard shop was ok, there was a good selection of upholstery fabric when I was last in, but the rest of the stuff left me a bit underwhelmed.
Another place I like is Bombay Stores in Bradford, their trimmings are are just lush, I'm not a fan of their fabric though.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired