The Sewing Place

Fusible interfacing

Syrinx

Fusible interfacing
« on: June 02, 2017, 13:20:25 PM »
Have discovered, much like embroidery and stabiliser, fusible interfacing is a nightmare of options.

Recommendations for lightweight fusible interfacing, brands to avoid, types to avoid, etc.

Happy to return the recs with stabiliser recs!

All this making of clothes thing is showing up all of my lack of knowledge in places I didn't even know existed!

DementedFairy

Re: Fusible interfacing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 13:35:21 PM »
I used to use any old rubbish, but am now smitten with the pricier, woven fusible options.  I don't always fuse though, and often prefer to use something like silk organza, or a heavier, sew-in option.  Horses for courses.  Generally, fusible can give you some problems with bubbling, so buy the best, or use something non fusible
C'est moi!

Syrinx

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 13:42:05 PM »
I was like that with the stabiliser, until I got a free sample and now! Well, only the best ;)

My Japanese pattern says fusible and I'm pretty good at the ironing stuff (I think! I hope P&Q skills transfer). But no idea what the best is...is it the most expensive by any chance? I might ask my costume making friend for scraps  :P

Jo

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 13:45:44 PM »
I usually use woven Vilene G700 or G740 (I think, hope I'm not mistaken). Never had any trouble with bubbling. EVER! Didn't even know this could be a problem until I tried some budget non-woven. Oh, the horror!
I have heard many recommendations for silk organza. I can't really find it here so I wonder is polyester organza would act the same?

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 13:58:59 PM »

I have heard many recommendations for silk organza. I can't really find it here so I wonder is polyester organza would act the same?

Absolutely not, don't even think it!

I get mine from China usually via ebay.  Cheap and cheerful, of course you can go for very high quality, but for 'normal' stuff I see no point.  No waste, it's even great for pressing cloths, and the selvages are also brilliant for stabilising all sorts of stuff
C'est moi!

Jo

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 15:23:00 PM »
Oooh, well...I could do that!  :D Do you have a verified seller you buy from that you can share? :)

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 15:31:03 PM »
I tend to buy 5m or so at a time, and don't use it fast, so sometimes there's a different seller each time.  It's not like it has to be fabulous, so just find something cheap.  Do check that it is silk though, as many sellers describe silky as silk!
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 15:40:51 PM »
I'm the same. I bought the most lovely woven (cotton) fusible interfacing from a shop on Goldhawk Road (with UttaRetch actually when we went on our shopping trip!) but they never have it any more. I think it was about £3 a metre which, while quite expensive, wasn't too bad. All used up now though :(

Jo

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 16:34:43 PM »
Been looking on amazon for silk organza.
Found this cheap silk organza.
Description: "Silk organza bla bla bla. Made out of polyester".  :S

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 16:48:32 PM »
Been looking on amazon for silk organza.
Found this cheap silk organza.
Description: "Silk organza bla bla bla. Made out of polyester".  :S

told ya

Dodge Amazon, use ebay.  Amazon don't pay their taxes...
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 17:09:59 PM »
Silk organza is also useful for bound buttonholes.

I haven't really had a problem with fusible interfacing bubbling but I suppose it will depend on which one you use. I keep the temperature down and I don't use steam.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde